Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Wooden GUI V2

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Shoeboxam, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

The rolled part on the top doesnt have the same color like the rest of the scroll... that has to be fixed. :p
  2. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

@Val - This is why you're the texture reviewer and not me. I didn't notice that first...
    Valsis likes this.
  3. SoaringDragon

SoaringDragon Well-Known Member

Much better, Shoe :D Although I would like to see a full-sized screenshot (i.e. not just a cropping of the bar) to get a feel for how visibility is affected. Also, the items seem slightly crowded at the top and bottoms.
  4. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

It seems a bit cartoony to me, but I like the background, not the scroll. I think that to me it doesn't fit the "smooth and clean" part of the pack for me. Just an opinon
    Shoeboxam likes this.
  5. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Either put it properly on the box or don't put it at all. Both have a poorly placed scroll. The wooden GUI doesn't fit the pack, What about a version of this one without the scroll...Nevermind, Val already made one. Approved darling but can you try to darken the back thingy a bit (you have a squere and shoe the scroll for it...that thingy)

Fix them up, both of you, and I might stamp :3
  6. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Here are some different cursors:
    Show Spoiler
    gui.png guileather.png
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Valsis likes this.
  7. Valsis

Keep them!!!

KEEP THEM BOTH! I love them :oops:
  8. DrumMaster4

They're the same, minus the spot where an inventory spot is chosen.

But I like both! Can't decide which one I like better :confused:
  9. Valsis

They both have the spot with the inventory slot that is selected... look closely... dummy :p
  10. DrumMaster4

No I meant the chosen part is different between the two: One is on the grass block and one is on an empty space...

*cries* (not really)
    Sheynx likes this.
  11. Darx

Darx Arabesque

Okay, that maybe the first time I go against Shoe's attempts, I personally like our current hotbar the most out of all texturepacks. And this one with thick horizontal and thin vertical lines just... disturbs me as much as bad kernings do. (Link related) That glass version works better for me, but still its not as good. :(
  12. Valsis

What would you suggest to be changed in those glassy look equip bars?
    Without telling us what you would like to see we can't do much about it right? :p
  13. Valsis

I don't like the fact that the non-selected slots don't have a frame... they seem they are tonally isolated from everything else and they are just floating there.

Any possibility to make a frame around them and make a selected background for the selected item to make it look different from the non-selected slots? (either brighter background or solid, you pick ;))
  14. Shoeboxam

@Darx: I don't like the current equip bar because we have overused that box texture. 98% of the overall GUI is that one little box. That same texture is everywhere... So I'm thinking some different textures on the equip bar, scroll bar and creative GUI tabs would go a long way in making it less monotonous. I'd love to see you come up with something! *wink* *wink*

@Tarq: I like those, definitely smooth and clean. We don't need a frame on everything... My only worry is that they may be too minimalistic compared to the other GUIs. I do like it regardless.
  15. Darx

Darx Arabesque

Well, I'm not talking about the texture itself really, but the form, that thick-thin lined hotbar looks like it just gonna fall apart any second (thats why it reminds me of a bad kerning)

That glassy-wooden one really catches my eye, but maybe it could have a bit of a border (1-2pixel) so it would look so blended on a birch wood planks background. (You can ignore this though, just a random thought)
    Selected slot could be a bit larger than the whole bar, like we have it right now (thats simply the silliest thing I've ever felt in love with).
    And the filler could have some inner shadow maybe.

I'll try to mess around with it in photoshop too, but for now that all the things came to my mind.

PS. For some reason I dont see alpha transparency on hotbar when using optifine :(
  16. Valsis

Do it!! DO IT NOW!!! ;)
  17. Darx

Darx Arabesque

Okay turns out there are some pitfalls, so for now I did this[​IMG]
    gui.png (open)
    gui.png
    Sheynx, Valsis and Shoeboxam like this.
  18. Valsis

Darx, thanks for this last equip bar, this gave me an idea for the current equip bar I have that I am gonna change x'D. I'll post it here once it's done.

EDIT 1:

Here is my current equip.bar with a few tweaks.
    screenshot (open)

[​IMG]
    gui.png (open)

[​IMG]

EDIT 2:
    Saw a flaw in the equip button where it was cut off in the bottom. Here's the new change:

screenshot (open)

[​IMG]
    gui.png (open)

[​IMG]

EDIT 3:
    Due to some observations by Shoe I made a few tweaks again ( enlarged the equip bar to have toe same size as the xp bar + made the frame a bit wider)

screenshots (open)

gui.png (open)

[​IMG]

EDIT 4:
    Re-sized the buttons to match the equip bar:
    screenshot (open)

[​IMG]
    gui.png (open)

[​IMG]

PS: I blame Darx for all this ^
    Darx and Sheynx like this.
  19. Sheynx

Holy fudge! So many GUIs.

Now, for the colored guis someone here made, pick colors from the pack and be subtle. Plus, the style doesn't really match but feel free to redo it and repost
  20. Valsis

Sheynx, I don't understand two things you said:
    1) " for the colored guis someone here made, pick colors from the pack and be subtle"
    2) " the style doesn't really match".

Would you mind to explain that please? :oops:
  21. Sheynx

22. Colored? I took the (only) color from the wood Shoe uses for his gui.
    Maybe you meant the other one (Balavoine's edit), which is nothing more than a cleaner version of it.

And for the style I know it's not the Soartex style ;
    I made it for myself, and thought I should share it in case someone wants to use it.
    I don't think I'll redo it or change it, simply because that's exactly how I meant it to be.
  23. DDjusD

DDjusD Well-Known Member

Can someone that has the resources used in the making of these GUIs send them to me please? I can copy and paste some of the pieces from the current ones but some things I can't like the scroll.

On a side note someone with some skill in java could make a mod to fix GUI anomalies like center things that are off center or remove text where its not needed. I would do it myself but I'm no good with java. I have tried looking at a tutorial on how to make a GUI but I got lost fast.
  24. Valsis

To get the textures you just need to right click them here in the forum -> open in new tab so you can have the full size and them save them as .png file. Then you can make your own changes but keep this in mind, it doesn't matter how much you change it, it's still our community work so, I ask you to keep the texture to yourself and not make it for public use. ;)

About the textures and text not being centered...
    *cough* I TOLD YOU ALL ABOUT THAT!!! *cough*
  25. DDjusD

DDjusD Well-Known Member

There are some pieces that I can't clip completely from an already finished GUI because they are partially covered up, like the scroll. Since they are covered up I need the individual piece so I can use it without ending up having to resize it or remake missing the pieces.

I'm wanting them so I can attempt to make some matching GUI textures for any that aren't already done.
  26. Shoeboxam

Here you go DDjusD:
    mapbg.png (tweak to scroll by Disaster86)
    I could make a larger set of templates, but as far as I'm aware this is the only piece that is covered up by other elements. Let me know if there is anything else I'm forgetting. :)

This is just wrong in so many ways... Here we have a forum for people to post their work... It should be used to post work. I encourage new people to take an old texture, tweak or fix it, and post it explaining the changes they made.
    DDjusD likes this.
  27. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

If you looked back a couple pages I posted the template set I use.
    http://soartex.net/threads/wooden-gui-v2.273/page-6#post-3957

Just look around and you can find what you need. There are always guis that need to be made/fixed.
    DDjusD and Shoeboxam like this.
  28. Shoeboxam

GoldBattle likes this.
  29. DDjusD

DDjusD Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    Ohh my bad. I did look but I didn't notice it because I was looking for pictures when I was scrolling through the pages.
  30. DeanR

DeanR Well-Known Member

New Horse GUI:

2013-07-01_18.48.22.png

Attached Files:

Shoeboxam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.