Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Wooden GUI V2

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Shoeboxam, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

Hun, in my perspective is too plain. there's no depth there. I love the texture but it's way too plain.
  2. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Yeah, but it's also unique. We could always expand on it but I do see it fitting Soartex mighty fine. They are a perfect match to those buttons in my opinion. It might vary with the button textures if ya wanna.
  3. Valsis

Shoe already said it that it would be impossible to make it so it's gonna stay the way as it is xD
  4. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Yep, but with the wood texture flopster made, I hope.

Floppy, if it's not too hard, could you make a 1024x1024 backing with that style of texture on it? It could serve as a GUI backing is certain special places in the modded pack.
  5. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Ok, I'll throw in a tutorial on making wood textures while I'm at it.
  6. Shoeboxam

Slot.png updated. I also made a new scroll achievement BG, but it won't work.
    Show Spoiler
    slot.png bg.png

-----------------------------
    Sheynx makes a pretty common habit of pointing out that the metal GUIs don't look good or match with the rest of the textures. I've been meaning to start remaking them with small backings for a while now. No hard feelings n0ugat. File size will inevitably be much smaller as well.

By the way NEI butchers those metal GUIs. (open)
    2012-11-28_03.39.08.png
    I made an early version to start kicking around ideas.
    Screenshots (open)
    2012-11-28_03.44.37.png 2012-11-28_03.45.18.png

I won't release the templates for these until I get all current metal GUIs converted. I seem to be more interested in this very time consuming project than the other contributors and I'd hate to drag them into it. If you like the idea, I'll take care of converting everything. I just need help making a good set of templates before I start (I'm looking at you Sheynx).
    GoldBattle likes this.
  7. Disaster86

Disaster86 Minecraft Modder

Same as minecraftforums!
    Shey is correct, but she's missed out a key detail.
    Source: I am the King of Spoilers...

["spoiler"]Beans["/spoiler"]
    Show Spoiler
    Beans
    ["spoiler=Beans"]Cool Beans["/spoiler]
    Beans (open)
    Cool Beans
    Please don't use line breaks or spaces after spoilers, it will be too spaced out. Leave the code nice and messy to pretty it up!
  8. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Shoe, you want this?
    Backing (open)
    [​IMG]

Edit: And you want this.
    [​IMG]
    Shoeboxam and Valsis like this.
  9. Valsis

Floppy, seriously, i love those.
    Any way to make out of of them new equip bars/cursor/buttons/gui?

Sorry i just saw that backing everywhere in my head and I had to share my brainstorm.
  10. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Well the idea is that it's replacing the buttons and other GUI. I like the current hotbar, but I guess someone could make it to use that backing.
    GoldBattle and Valsis like this.
  11. Valsis

We can always add more options though to menu bars + equip buttons + equip bars using the ideas that Floppy just made.
    Shoeboxam likes this.
  12. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

mehh (open)

[​IMG]
  13. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Glowstone Panels?! That must be a mod...

I do like this GUI-style though. Looks smooth and a bit modern. Could you post a link for download in case I wanted to use it?
  14. Dare2Win

Dare2Win Mr Roboto

Those are Buildcraft Facades :p
  15. SoaringDragon

SoaringDragon Well-Known Member

I love what Shoe's done with the gui, but I have one complaint. The text is sometimes awkward (at least in my game). This could be a font issue though. If that's the case then a new one is needed (It's a horrible font anyway). If we could somehow change the font placement, that would be AWESOME.

2012-12-24_21.47.52.png 2012-12-24_21.50.14.png

If this has already been addressed, then I apologize XD I'm not as "with it" as some people are.
  16. Valsis

I have the same issue and I already reported it. :p
  17. SoaringDragon

lol. Well, that figures. XD
  18. Shoeboxam

I made signs for everything once... wasn't very well received. The crafting table GUI text is a non-problem going forward unless you have NEI installed. ...I implemented Val's idea for a larger scroll behind it.
    SoaringDragon and Valsis like this.
  19. Valsis

I suggested the big scroll behind it to avoid having to change major stuff. By adding the scroll everything gets fixed. :)
    SoaringDragon and GoldBattle like this.
  20. Valsis

I suggested to Shoe for the pack to have a wooden background on the main menu since we have wooden buttons/menu bars etc. to make it match.
    Here it goes the print screens and the background

Attached Files:

Ninten_Droid likes this.
  21. Lemurrrr

Lemurrrr New Member

Hi! I don't know if anyone still reads this thread but I was looking for a 1.2.5 creative GUI (because I'm using soartex in tekkit..) to replace the more recent one, because it's really hard to scroll down when the buttons are not in front of what you see :p
    I really like these GUIs you made so I was wondering if you still had an old 1.2.5 one hanging around somewhere c:
    Thanks in advance, will keep looking in the meantime :p

Edit: Just realised I'm probably not in the right part of the forum, don't mind me :p
  22. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

23. Shoeboxam

I made two new GUI equip bars!
    Wooden (open)

gui.png
    Glass (open)
    guiglass.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  24. DrumMaster4

I think the wooden one is better, mainly because it has the separation for each slot. Although they're both awesome.
    gjr888 likes this.
  25. Valsis

Both guis are amazing, they both add a total new perspective of equip bars we've had so far. About time!
    They are modern but still fit in the pack.

First one, I love it for the fact that is based on wood and I love how wood gives a warm feel in everything where it's applied + DAT SCROLL!!
    However, a possible suggestion, taking out the scroll and making a simple background color change, to a darker tone so we can see what item is in use only applied in the area where the selected item is, it would be a good way to have it as well

Second one, it's a more minimalism one, without separation of items but, that's where the equipped cursor comes in, to show what you're using without the need of separating the other items. Only change I would make would be, the use of the color of the iron block for the selected item frame ;)
  26. SoaringDragon

To add to Val's comment, the scroll is slightly off-center (or rather, the bottom part gets cut off) and I'm not sure I like the jagged edges. If you still really like the scroll idea, I would say to beef up top and bottom curls and keep the edges straight. You might have to have it set on top of the frame to keep it from cutting off at the bottom.

Also, I agree that, with the glass one, it would look better with the iron color as it would add more contrast and make more sense with the black frame.

Something that I've noticed while playing FTB is that, when you have larger chest sizes (such as gold and diamond), it's easy to accidentally pickup an item, move it down, but not far enough to where it's in the inventory. I think it just has to do with how we're used to having a certain sized inventory, but there also isn't enough contrast between a chest inventory and the player inventory. I'm not sure if changing the inventory gui would fix it, but it's a thought I had. XD
  27. Valsis

Since Shoe has been making some new Equip.bars I game my lil touch to the ones he made, I hope you guys enjoy them and actualy notice the changes :p

28. Shoeboxam

@SoaringDragon:
    I don't think there is any way to prevent it from getting cut off. My thinking is, the bottom part of the scroll will just dissapear behind the bottom wooden bar and the top part could be further stylized and cleaned up like you mentioned.

About the FTB chest comment: I'd like to have more variation and more elements in the GUI. It's far too identical, one texture tiled over what seems like 500+ GUIs and some resized scrolls. At the same time, we need to keep the GUIs similar enough to be cohesive (credit to Sheynx). Nonetheless, I think they could be given a few more elements.

I originally had an iron slider cursor. I ultimately widened the bar and made a brown cursor for a failed attempt at cohesiveness with the XP bar.
    Show Spoiler
    Here is the first bar before those changes: guimetal.png
    @Valsis: This whole GUI has a very warm feel to it. There's a lot of brown to it. I think that's why I prefer the wooden equip bar. The black metal feels out of place. Considering this, I could make a brown glass border from scratch that would match better with the XP bar.
    Valsis and SoaringDragon like this.
  29. Shoeboxam

More stylized scroll?
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    gui.png
    gjr888 likes this.
  30. DrumMaster4

Ooh, if we keep the scroll, I love that one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.