Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Tinkers' Construct

Discussion in 'Modded Support' started by Dare2Win, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Dare2Win

Dare2Win Mr Roboto

Hello again, Haven't made textures in a while, so any criticism is welcome!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1659892-15xtinkers-construct/

I just started making TConstruct's textures, and gotten a couple textures done, but not even close to all.

the file path is \mods\tinker\textures\blocks\bricks for bricks \mods\tinker\textures\items for items . Any help is welcome!

Attached Files:

2. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back, Dare. This mod actually looks really cool, and I've never seen it before.

I've made a bunch of the brick textures, as that's what I've mostly been focusing on for now. I also re-textured your diamond bricks, as Shoe had made a set for DivineRPG.

There are also a few alternates of certain bricks, as I couldn't get the colors exactly right, or maybe I wanted to provide a few options.

They are attached below as a slideshow as well as individual files (for easy downloading and testing). EDIT: The slideshow has them out of order. So you could see an original, then the alternate is a few pictures away.

brick_diamond (open)

[​IMG]
    brick_gold (open)

[​IMG]
    brick_iron (open)

Top is the original, bottom two are alternates
    [​IMG]
    brick_sandstone (open)

If you have seen the creative blocks thread in Central Textures, you'll recognize this. This used to be the smooth sandstone (or whatever 24:2 is called)
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  3. DrumMaster4

Alright, part two of the bricks. They aren't all finished now, but many of them have been.

It's reliant on re-colors, as it's bricks and fancy bricks and then varieties of material to give it the texture of each. Feel free to hate on them, feel free to love them. Please give your opinion, as I haven't tested this mod yet and some could be too saturated or even too bland (not enough texture)

fancybrick_stone_refined (open)

[​IMG]
    fancybrick_netherrack (open)

[​IMG]
    brick_snow (open)

Credits to Shoe, from DivineRPG
    [​IMG]
    brick_ice (open)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

@Slime and books: Great. I like 'em. Also, it's nice having you back around.
    @Dare's Bricks: They need quite a bit of help. Be careful not to make the contrast too high or low and be careful not to make the saturation too high or low. The slime bricks in the OP could use a new base texture that gives the slimy look, rather than stone. The end stone bricks could use some alterations as well. You have to be able to build with it, and the textures there don't blend in with other blocks well enough.

@DrumMaster: The ornate bricks could really use base textures that align with the materials they are made of. I like that you randomized the netherrack to make nether brick, but it is missing shading. They lack depth. Light always comes from the top left in soartex, so the upper right of the brick will be lighter and the bottom left will be darker. Notice how on the vanilla bricks, they have an outline and some subtle rounding? That's where your depth will come from, and it will make the cracks appear more a part of the netherrack. I apply these changes with a dodge and burn brush, set to hard edge, 1x1 pixel brush. Tweak the exposure to make the brush harder or stronger. Then afterwards clean up the saturation anywhere that it looks off. Sorry to be so negative! I'm always happy to give more help/guidance.
    GoldBattle likes this.
  5. DrumMaster4

So, I wholly appreciate all the comments. As I'm still quite new to texturing, I appreciate all the help (even though I try to pretend that I'm good at it :p)

Though I am a little confused with the first sentence about the ornate bricks, could you clarify / give examples?

When you say they lack depth, what exactly does "they" mean? Everything I've made? fancybricks_xx? Etc.

And no, I haven't really noticed the Vanilla bricks. Haven't looked that closely at them. Do you mean default or the Soartex bricks?

As for the negativity, please don't worry. It really wasn't mean at all, and was actually quite helpful with the ending tutorial :D
  6. Shoeboxam

Sure, I re-read my comment now and realized how hard it was to understand.

I've started thinking about the brick variety happening here...
    http://i.imgur.com/ZCyGG5o.png pic by Zjarek
    Extra Utilities gives us all the base brick recolors we would need. It would be nice to be able to identify Extra Utilities brick as the only recolored stone brick texture. It really is the only recolored brick ingame.
    Other bricks are made of other materials, so we can make the mod support better by varying base and size to give different effects. Also, the Soartex lapis bricks, for example visually match the Soartex lapis block perfectly. Same with my original diamond, sandstone and ice bricks.

I can make a clay brick texture based on the hardened clay posted a while back.

Anyways, the ornate bricks should follow this trend as well. In the grand scheme of things, the Lapis storage block (vanilla), brick (TC), ornate brick (TC) and large brick (MFR) textures will be used together in the same builds as the same material, so they should appear to be the same material, just for consistency.

About actually making these bricks with new materials, I'll give some more information.
    Show Spoiler
    You'll want to isolate the shape of the one pixel wide black cracks in the vanilla bricks. I tend to use fuzzy select set to search on value. Copy this selection to a new layer over the new base texture (say netherrack). You now have netherrack beneath stone brick cracks.

Using the cracks layer as a guide, swap textures for quite a few bricks to break up the pattern. This can be done easily by using new layers (CTRL-V+New Layer). R-Click on layer -> "Merge down" to combine the selected layer with the one beneath it.

Right click the crack layer and select "alpha to selection" to select all cracks. Switch to your base layer and copy the netherrack beneath your cracks into a new layer. Delete the stone cracks, those were just a guide. Tweak the netherrack cracks using dodge/burn and curves.

This is where my complaint about depth comes in. Now you have a fancy set of cracks and pattern broken bricks. But for some reason, the cracks don't appear to mesh with the bricks, they are visually distinct. Go to your bricks layer, and whip out the good old dodge/burn tool. Like I mentioned before, outline each brick. The shadowing gives the effect that some parts are deeper and other parts are raised, and thus the brick has depth. The cracks layer should start to blend in better, as it is associated with an indent in the shadow of the brick above.

The cracks layer and dodge/burn sometimes take some patience to blend well enough. Feel free to mess with the blend modes, remake the cracks from a new sample color, etc. Now take a look at how it tiles. If there are any parts that are particularly noticeable, try fixing them with a smooth edged dodge/burn. Check the burned areas throughout the sprite to see if the saturation is too high.
    GoldBattle likes this.
  7. Dare2Win

Dare2Win Mr Roboto

Okay, here are the obsidian bricks using your tutorial

I think they are not allowing you to see the cracks, or is it just me? I tried to get it it to look like it matches the obsidian, but it is so dark. Also here is the refined stone, just the top of the stone slabs, like default

Edit, yep, way to dark.....

Ill try to get a screenshot ingame,

Attached Files:

8. DrumMaster4

Dare
    Yeah, the obsidian bricks are quite dark. I like the refined stone, although it seems to just be the stone slab.

Shoe
    That tutorial (and picture) was very helpful! I'm actually trying my hand out with it at the moment, will post when I'm done.
  9. Dare2Win

Dare2Win Mr Roboto

I know that the refined stone i sjust the top of the stone slab, but thats what the refined stone is supposed to be
  10. DrumMaster4

Alright, that makes sense. I don't really know how the mods works, so I'm just asking. Like what is a slab and refined stone were next to each other? Would that matter?
  11. Dare2Win

Dare2Win Mr Roboto

the refined stone is like that on all sides, almost like concrete i believe so on the top they look the same, but on the sides they are different
  12. Shoeboxam

Ok, so I have a few more things to mention.

"I apply these changes with a dodge and burn brush, set to hard edge, 1x1 pixel brush. Tweak the exposure to make the brush harder or stronger."
    This can be found in the tool options.
    Hard edge makes the brush align directly with each pixel
    Soft edge averages the brush's effect over several pixels

1x1 is set via the size slider.

How to draw perfectly straight lines: Click once quickly in a corner, then undo that click. Now hold shift down and move your cursor around. You'll see a line from where you clicked in the corner extending to your cursor. Click to draw a straight line using your currently selected brush/dodge/burn/smear/blur etc.

So lets say I have my burn brush set to 1x1, hard edge. I click on the bottom left of the brick, then shift click on the bottom right. Now only the single row of pixels on the bottom of the brick is darker, and the rest of the surrounding area is unaffected.

Many times the material you make the bricks out of doesn't look good using these specific directions. Sometimes the cracks need to be lighter or an accent color, sometimes the bricks need your own custom shape, etc. If you stray from these directions to find something that looks better, your bricks may turn out better. I'm just explaning some tools and techniques that you'll need to know to get your vision down on pixels.
  13. DrumMaster4

So, here's the revised endstone brick (now with absolutely no re-color whatsoever) courtesy of Shoe's method. Very iffy on the cracks color, but it's better than the grey that's in normal stonebricks.

Feedback!

[​IMG]
  14. Dare2Win

Dare2Win Mr Roboto

I just made some clay bricks, think they turned out pretty good

Attached Files:

Shoeboxam likes this.
  15. Aetherr_

Aetherr_ New Member

Can some one give me a good tutorial to texture? I want to help!!
  16. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Aetherr, I made a tutorial here, although you have to have Photoshop and know the basics of it to use the tutorial. Even if you don't though, it still has some useful tips and tricks.
  17. Protheus

Protheus Well-Known Member

Just wow - very very nice. Keep up the good work ;)
  18. lokibot9000

lokibot9000 New Member

were do you download the texture pack?
  19. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

20. Mierzen

Mierzen Prominent Member

Just so you know, with the latest TiC, the Soartex textures cause the game to crash.
    Removing the TiC textures from the Soartex resourcepack fixes it, so it has to be Soartex.

TiC has been split into Tinkers' Construct and Tinkers' Mechworks. Perhaps that contributed to the previously-excellent textures to not work anymore?
  21. artdude543

artdude543 Lead Administrator / Mad Modder Staff Member

I will look into this, thanks
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2013, Original Post Date: Nov 30, 2013 ---
    Okay I have gone through all the textures and split into the two mods now, but before I did that I checked this crash and I never got it. So you must either be using an outdated patch, or its our textures causing the crash. But that would suspect that some texturing rendering is being hard-coding into the mod which means we will have to remove the texture causing the crash.

@Mierzen Try these out and see if you continue to crash:

- Tinkers: http://bit.ly/IznDLL
    - Tinkers Mechworks : http://bit.ly/19aqfpD
  22. Mierzen

Mierzen Prominent Member

Before I have a look, I know that the mod does something to rendering, because it has some incompatibilities with OptiFine...
  23. artdude543

Well I would suggest to not use "Optifine" as most mods do not support it still.
  24. Mierzen

Mierzen Prominent Member

It still crashes on TConstruct_1.6.4_1.5.1 and TMechworks_1.6.4_0.1.2. You can have a look at the hiperlink in my original post if you want - it shows the crash log (TiC seems to be the problem, not Mechworks).
    As said in that post, it crashed with and without OptiFine, so that isn't the problem.
    When removing the "tinkers" textures from the resourcepack, the game works.
    Note that is with the latest version of the textures from the patcher - previously it worked fine.
  25. artdude543

Can you try without magic launcher please, as that edits file and the loading of mods.
    This has been tested in the default launcher and MultiMC and no crashes are happening so this is a single problem with your instance/launcher.
  26. Mierzen

Mierzen Prominent Member

Sorry it took a while. I just reinstalled my Minecraft, redownloaded Soartex and patched it with the TiC textures. I then ran it with only TiC and Mechworks installed and it still crashed on world load/create:
    Show Spoiler
    Code:
    ---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // Daisy, daisy...

Time: 2013/11/30 4:53 PM
    Description: Registering texture
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureUtil.func_110989_a(SourceFile:76)
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.SimpleTexture.func_110551_a(SourceFile:45)
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110579_a(SourceFile:69)
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110577_a(SourceFile:37)
        at tconstruct.client.TClientEvents.renderHealthbar(TClientEvents.java:197)
        at net.minecraftforge.event.ASMEventHandler_18_TClientEvents_renderHealthbar_Pre.invoke(.dynamic)
        at net.minecraftforge.event.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:39)
        at net.minecraftforge.event.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:108)
        at net.minecraftforge.client.GuiIngameForge.pre(GuiIngameForge.java:870)
        at net.minecraftforge.client.GuiIngameForge.renderHealth(GuiIngameForge.java:329)
        at net.minecraftforge.client.GuiIngameForge.func_73830_a(GuiIngameForge.java:135)
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78480_b(EntityRenderer.java:1014)
        at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:946)
        at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:838)
        at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:131)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)
    A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- Head --
    Stacktrace:
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureUtil.func_110989_a(SourceFile:76)
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.SimpleTexture.func_110551_a(SourceFile:45)
    -- Resource location being registered --
    Details:
        Resource location: tinker:textures/gui/newhearts.png
        Texture object class: net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.SimpleTexture
    Stacktrace:
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110579_a(SourceFile:69)
        at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110577_a(SourceFile:37)
        at tconstruct.client.TClientEvents.renderHealthbar(TClientEvents.java:197)
        at net.minecraftforge.event.ASMEventHandler_18_TClientEvents_renderHealthbar_Pre.invoke(.dynamic)
        at net.minecraftforge.event.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:39)
        at net.minecraftforge.event.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:108)
        at net.minecraftforge.client.GuiIngameForge.pre(GuiIngameForge.java:870)
        at net.minecraftforge.client.GuiIngameForge.renderHealth(GuiIngameForge.java:329)
        at net.minecraftforge.client.GuiIngameForge.func_73830_a(GuiIngameForge.java:135)
    -- Affected level --
    Details:
        Level name: MpServer
        All players: 1 total; [EntityClientPlayerMP['Mierzen'/191, l='MpServer', x=8.50, y=66.62, z=8.50]]
        Chunk stats: MultiplayerChunkCache: 0
        Level seed: 0
        Level generator: ID 00 - default, ver 1. Features enabled: false
        Level generator options:
        Level spawn location: World: (143,64,237), Chunk: (at 15,4,13 in 8,14; contains blocks 128,0,224 to 143,255,239), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)
        Level time: 78195 game time, 78195 day time
        Level dimension: 0
        Level storage version: 0x00000 - Unknown?
        Level weather: Rain time: 0 (now: false), thunder time: 0 (now: false)
        Level game mode: Game mode: survival (ID 0). Hardcore: false. Cheats: false
        Forced entities: 1 total; [EntityClientPlayerMP['Mierzen'/191, l='MpServer', x=8.50, y=66.62, z=8.50]]
        Retry entities: 0 total; []
        Server brand: fml,forge
        Server type: Integrated singleplayer server
    Stacktrace:
        at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.WorldClient.func_72914_a(WorldClient.java:440)
        at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71396_d(Minecraft.java:2312)
        at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:856)
        at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:131)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)
    -- System Details --
    Details:
        Minecraft Version: 1.6.4
        Operating System: Windows 8 (amd64) version 6.2
        Java Version: 1.7.0_45, Oracle Corporation
        Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
        Memory: 153716616 bytes (146 MB) / 471859200 bytes (450 MB) up to 954728448 bytes (910 MB)
        JVM Flags: 2 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xmx1G
        AABB Pool Size: 7955 (445480 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 7955 (445480 bytes; 0 MB) used
        Suspicious classes: FML and Forge are installed
        IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 3, tallocated: 63
        FML: MCP v8.11 FML v6.4.45.953 Minecraft Forge 9.11.1.953 6 mods loaded, 6 mods active
        mcp{8.09} [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
        FML{6.4.45.953} [Forge Mod Loader] (minecraftforge-9.11.1.953.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
        Forge{9.11.1.953} [Minecraft Forge] (minecraftforge-9.11.1.953.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
        TConstruct-Preloader{0.0.1} [Tinkers Corestruct] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
        TConstruct{1.6.X_1.5.1} [Tinkers' Construct] (TConstruct_1.6.4_1.5.1.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
        TMechworks{DEV.21b1027} [Tinkers' Mechworks] (TMechworks_1.6.4_0.1.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
        TConstruct Environment: Sane and ready for action. Bugs may be reported.
        Launched Version: 1.6.4-Forge9.11.1.953
        LWJGL: 2.9.0
        OpenGL: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2 GL version 4.4.0, NVIDIA Corporation
        Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'fml,forge'
        Type: Client (map_client.txt)
        Resource Pack: forum test.zip
        Current Language: English (US)
        Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
        Vec3 Pool Size: 32 (1792 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 32 (1792 bytes; 0 MB) used

Removing the tinkers folder from the pack solves it again
  27. artdude543

This is just using the default launcher correct? Or MultiMC
    Well I am running the latest versions and the newest patch and no crash, the only last things is that your still using Magic Launcher or you have a corrupt download. Other from that I have no idea what is wrong with your instance.
  28. Mierzen

Mierzen Prominent Member

That was using the default launcher.

Maybe the textures from the patcher are corrupt because that keeps happening
  29. artdude543

Try re-download the patches from here: https://github.com/Soartex-Modded/Modded-1.6.x Also re-download the main pack, as this has been tested and no one is crashing. Also go to /tinker/textures/gui/ and take out the "newhearts.png" and tell me if you can open that with paint. (With the current resource pack you are using)
  30. Saidrex

Saidrex New Member

I can confirm, it's indeed is crashing the game. Same here too, tried with Optifine, MCpatcher and without. And it's it's refering to non-existing object in texture pack -
    Upd.1. Looks like Tinkers Construct archive in http://files.soartex.net/mods/ is corrupted.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013