Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Soartex 32x

Discussion in 'Ports & Clones' started by Shoeboxam, May 5, 2012.

1. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

EDIT: Über cheesy 32x philosophy from Soar:
    ----------------------------

I've been slowly working on 32x textures for a while now. I'll post them here as I get happy with them. Any help would be appreciated!

bed.png bricks.png cactus.png cobweb.png rails.png
  2. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Kind of blured, kind of noisy, lack proper lighting. Wish there was an easy way to do this.
    You can skip some parts of the texture to make it smooth. ;)
  3. Disaster86

Disaster86 Minecraft Modder

Here's some. Woo! just realised how big the crafting tables handles are. lol.
    And the fact that two crafting table parts are different sizes. Woops. ;P
    I'll get back to that soon.
    blocks.png
    2714491883MP, Ninten_Droid and Rashed like this.
  4. Sheynx

That crafting table looks funny. Can everyone please provide screenshots along with the images (just use the default 32* or a scaled down Soartex for the blocks that aren't done)?
  5. Ninten_Droid

Ninten_Droid Super Omega Ultra Member

I made this really cool brick texture that could be used in a 32x "default resize".

Attached Files:

6. Shoeboxam

7. Ninten_Droid

8. Sheynx

Mhmm... This looks medieval-simple-pack like. Cool texture but it doesn't fit our style right now. You may want to look into those things:

-They have lines/points on their middle. Use dodge/burn to get rid of them.
    -Too much white space.
    -The shading so far is decent but it needs some more to make the texture stand out a bit. Soartex is the awfully shiny looking pack. I'd like that to be kept in 32* too.
    -The 64* textures are square bricks. The shape of the bricks influences the style. Keep them square if you want to make a 32* vanilla texture. Is good to play with the textures when making alts but a 32* recreation needs to stick with the original.
    And please post on the appropriate thread next time. Stray topics are hard to find, more so in the Community Category :eek: I don't see any button that could merge this topic with the 32 terrain one so I just moved this one...this forum has the worst moderation tools of any forum of the 3000+ I've seen.
  9. Ninten_Droid

I wasnt saying it would fit in our pack, I just wanted to post it cuz I thought it was cool :)
  10. Ninten_Droid

Any more progress on 32x textures? Any???
  11. §2 srry just wanted to see if this work it will make it green
    and btw im not sure how it would look as 32x but im know it will look awesome
    soartex just makes everything look great. Unlike some texture packs in which it only looks good with wood or stone.
    Ninten_Droid likes this.
  12. Shoeboxam

Nope, but you are welcome to work on it yourself.
  13. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

I was wondering if you guys are thinking about changing the look of the emerald block.
    I'm asking this because I believe it would be cool if the emerald block had the same texture as the diamond block but, of course, in shades of green.
  14. Sheynx

Mhm...think there was something like that around here...Although we wanted that block to have a texture on it's own...

We are on the wrong topic though. Doesn't seem like I can move those post to another thread either...
  15. Valsis

Then it's my fault for not seeing that in the first place. I'm sorry *blushes*
  16. Sheynx

Well, I don't really remember either. I'm sure someone will let us know. Don't worry about it. ;)
  17. Valsis

I tried to make something for the emerald block but yeah, I seriously don't want to mess with an awesome pack. :oops:
  18. Sheynx

Feel free to post your tries.;) You made me curious.
  19. Valsis

It was simply using the diamond block texture and change the color to the emerald color but slightly lighter to match the ore itself.
    As you can see below, nothing major... :oops:

Attached Files:

Shoeboxam likes this.
  20. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Naah, too much like diamond. Emerald needs it's own style.
  21. Valsis

Like I said, I just grabbed the Diamond Block texture and changed the color. But someone wanted to see it so I posted it anyway :oops:
  22. Sheynx

It can be a customizer alt though, for people that want this too...Although the primary one gotta stay primary.
  23. Shoeboxam

Ninten_Droid likes this.
  24. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

I dunno about that stone... It has that blurry, low quality compression look. The cobble suffers from that a little bit, but the grass seems fine.
  25. Sheynx

Mhm, the best feature of soartex is that it is pixel made but you see the translations between them in a nice, smooth way. Blur should not be used to arhieve that. Try to gradient them a little bit on low opacity or something and hand draw them. Alternatively, what about chopping a 32*32 section of the image and putting it there with small modifications?
  26. ezanrki

ezanrki Well-Known Member

Just found this thread now :p dont know if anyone is still looking to make a 32x version of Soartex but my friend recently helped develop a high quality image re-sizer which he claims keeps the quality and transparencies of images. He sent me the BETA version and I went ahead and resized all of the current 1.5.2 blocks down to 32x.

I tried it out in-game and I thought it looked quite nice for being 32x. I dont really know if the quality is high enough since im used to 64x and it looks quite low-quality to me but if anyone is interested here are all the block files re-sized. Simply pop them into a Soartex 64 pack and just replace the blocks folder :)

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0c75ndhkzc131o6/blocks32x.rar

Needless to say animated blocks etc are bugged ;)
    GoldBattle likes this.
  27. Shoeboxam

So I've played with that for a few days. All plants need to be remade. Any block with detail needs to be remade. Hard edges need to be redefined. Considering this, there are actually a number of textures that have converted well.

With fewer pixels we need to reduce detail, not just blur it away, so most of these won't work. Compare these 32x textures to the ones in other 32x packs to get my gist. They have less detail but are still sharp.

Still, thanks Ezanrki :)
    Valsis likes this.
  28. Shoeboxam

Over the last 72 hours Goldbattle, Tzigane, Drummaster and I have participated in this resource pack competition:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1923010-modjam-resource-pack-contest/

Our entry is a 32x remake of Soartex from scratch. No textures from earlier in this thread or from the main pack have been used (we'd be disqualified from the competition if we did). It diverges some from 64x Soartex and is still pretty rough, but this is a great initial version.

So without further ado:
    http://files.soartex.net/main/Soartex_Modjam.zip
    Alpha V1!
  29. Valsis

I want it!!! I'm getting it!!! I got it!!!