Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Archived Pillars (CTM Idea)

Discussion in 'MCPatcher' started by Disaster86, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disaster86

Disaster86 Minecraft Modder

We've been rather quiet about this.
    Me and Shoe have been working on adding pillars for our MCPatcher users via CTM.
    Preview (open)
    This was my very first attempt at the texture and code.
    The second image is a slightly revised texture, showing off a quick temple build. 2012-10-28_14.28.54.png
    2012-11-02_21.08.18.png
    Problem (open)
    The problem with using Stone Slabs, which make the most sense for the job, is that existing builds using Stone Slabs will be broken, here is a screenshot of a bridge in Geoffville, Hatfilms Server.
    2012-11-02_16.32.29.png 2012-11-02_16.34.26.png
    Solutions (open)
    This is a screenshot of my solution, which is accomplished by overwriting Ornate Stone Bricks rather than Stone Slabs using Vertical CTM. I prefer this method as it will probably get less hate from fans complaining about broken builds. It makes sense considering they are decorative-only blocks.
    I will upload a screenshot and the texture file for Shoe's solution soon. 2012-11-02_21.04.07.png
    Ideas (open)
    The first photo is the Sandstone Pillars, which I hope to add in with the Stone Pillars, using our new .lang file can rename the Chiseled Sandstone into 'Sandstone Pillars', as with Ornate Stone Bricks. If this is implemented, I wish to use the Top/Bottom segments as a MCPatcher-only replacement for the Chiseled Sandstone texture. The second image adds Gold and Diamond Pillars to the party. As with all others, the texture is temporary.
    2012-11-02_21.09.30.png 2012-11-02_22.22.10.png Also, to reduce incompatibility and promote .lang use, I have developed two methods of solution. The first is to divert attention to the files by rearranging the pack and adding a 'readme' as shown below. The second is to have 2 separate downloads on the forum thread. idea1.png
    Textures (open)
    Thanks for reading, If you would like to vote on which CTM method to use or improve the textures, comment and attach your files below. Here are mine so far! pillars.png

Attached Files:

• ctm.zip
      File size:
      102.3 KB
      Views:
    REDX36, fialka, Ermac and 2 others like this.
  2. Dynamic_Seagull

Dynamic_Seagull Active Member

3. Tudoreleuu

Tudoreleuu Well-Known Member

Not bad, however, mc-patcher only, ew.
  4. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Here is my fix! It works on Opti.
    Show Spoiler
    pillar1.png
    This is still Disaster's texture, I just fixed bugs.

Screenshots?
    http://imgur.com/a/NWGaN

Attached Files:

5. Disaster86

The problem with using your fix shoe was the slab on top of each pillar, and the reputation of the slabs.
    People would get aggravated if all their builds turned into pillars. It may be less so now, but they will still be affected.

My Ideas:
    We could divert the attention of Soartex users by placing the pack in a folder within the .zip
    This would make more people read a 'readme' to learn about the .lang, and give them a choice to make it MCPatcher or Optifine compatible.
    Unfortunately, this may also annoy users.

We could, however, make separate downloads for MCPatcher or Optifine.
    This seems somewhat more likely, and I am happy to update both.

What are you guys' opinions on Gold and Diamond pillars? Yay/Nay?
  6. REDX36

REDX36 Time-Capsule Stowaway Retired Staff

Yay
  7. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Gold and Diamond pillars? I like.
    Stone Slab Pillars? It depends. For some styles: all the way! For other things: meh.
  8. Tudoreleuu

Tudoreleuu Well-Known Member

Absolute no for stone slab pillars. Use ornate bricks instead, I have a whole skyscraper that uses stone slabs for their big-brick CTM
    Disaster86 likes this.
  9. Disaster86

I feel that your response isn't a likely option.
    If this is accepted, and a good texture is made, the likeliness is that only stone and sandstone will be included.
    I completely agree, its much less used than slabs, I believe people would prefer the pillars to the ordinary ornate stone bricks.
    Okay, Sheynx, What do you think needs to be done to the texture (apart from lighting and amount of lines) ??
  10. DrumMaster4

Sandstone Pillars should definitely be included. And Tudore's idea was good (why didn't I think of that). Definitely Ornate Stone. Other than an occasional block for them, I'm not a huge fan. So using the blocks to CTM seems like it would go over well.

Revised Opinion: Sandstone and Stone - YES! Otherwise - Meh.
    Disaster86 likes this.
  11. Disaster86

5 likes for pillars, 2 likes for ornate blocks.
    Looks like it's settled. Might need more feedback before it's set in stone.
  12. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

Okay my feedback... here it goes...
    I honestly don't like the colors in the pillars inspired in gold and diamond. They have total different colors. the top and bottom part have one color and the central part of the pillar has a total different color.

On both of my screens:
    - the Yellow pillar, the central part seems like lemon green and both top and bottom are totally yellow/gold.
    - the Blue pillar, the central part has more magenta than the top and bottom who are cyan.

Make the colors matching each other so they can get along, cause, right now it seems that you have a set of pillars with missing pieces and you simply completed them by using another colored piece.

Both stone and sandstone are approved by me :)
    Patrick Geneva and Sheynx like this.
  13. Disaster86

Yeah, I forgot, gold and diamond aren't happening. and I see what you mean about the textures for them, although I have no idea how its possible! :S
  14. Valsis

Well, since you said that they are not gonna happen then don't worry about it :p
  15. Disaster86

Right, this is my base texture, anything anyone wants to throw in, be my quest.
    Stone Pillars (open)
    2012-11-11_14.51.27.png
    Texture File (open)
    pillars.png
    Sheynx and Valsis like this.
  16. Valsis

I would give a second like to the up post but I cant D:

Now this fits the pack!

Good Job sir! Apparently the snowball throwing fail helped you. xD
  17. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

I donno what to say about the texture...Screw it, put in in already!
  18. Disaster86

19. Valsis

They have the same texture as the ornate stone silly you :p
  20. DrumMaster4

Well, I don't know if this matters, but I was playing in Misa the other day for a server I'm helping build, and started fooling around with her Ornate Stone Blocks. When they CTM'd, it looked strikingly similar to the idea noted here. I posted some pictures just in case.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  21. Disaster86

Wow! Misa outdid herself with that code!
    I don't think she used Vertical method like me, how long do you think she's had that?
    I actually didn't rip Misa off this time, I originally ripped EmperorDoom off with stone slabs.
    Seems like everyone has pillars now
    :D
  22. Shoeboxam

My ornate CTM sheet is pretty complex as well. :p
  23. Disaster86

Will it blend, that is the question?
    If you put yours in with mine, what will happen?

I'll need to test this, could you send me an up-to-date Ornate CTM via Skype?
    I do think that being a rare and decorative block, features like these should be present.
    It'll certainly make for good builds, and a nice reward for adventuring!
  24. Shoeboxam

It's posted over in the terrain.png thread, I think.
  25. Disaster86

Results!
    Normally (open)
    2012-11-18_16.26.40.png 2012-11-18_16.27.36.png
    Fix Attempt! (open)
    2012-11-18_16.32.00.png
    Looks like it's not gonna happen...
  26. DrumMaster4

Dark screenshots there, Disaster xD. And I honestly have no idea how long Misa has had that, but I just noticed it. And yeah, a lot of people have pillars. Although I've seen a lot through slabs, so Ornate is more unique (rare?).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.