Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Minecraft 1.9 & Snapshots - Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Valsis, Jul 29, 2015.

1. JasonZ617

JasonZ617 Well-Known Member

What are command blocks made of? Hugs and love? xD
    Maybe now? (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Valsis likes this.
  2. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

@JasonZ617 so so much better!

I was wondering how the block would look with slightly more texture... did you try it? I just want to make a comparison between the one you just submitted and one that has slightly more texture to it. :)

Best regards,
    JasonZ617 likes this.
  3. JasonZ617

Like this maybe?
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Mmmmm i dont know if im using the right texture... i dont even know what kind of texture i can add to it xD
  4. Valsis

@JasonZ617 okay, I preffer the previous version. Sometimes we have to test it to see how it looks right? :) there's just one thing in the texture that is triggering my ocd. You can see it i nthe picture below
    Show Spoiler
    2015-08-21_21-36-53.png
    Can you fix those little spots? :D

Best regards,
  5. JasonZ617

I dunno how i didnt see that ._.
    But hey! here they are :p
    Images (open)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just drop all files in assets/minecraft/textures/blocks
    aaaaaaand u need to copy the JSON files ("chain_command_block","command_block" and "repeating_command_block") from the snapshot file (assets/minecraft/models/block) to the fanver pack....

Attached Files:

Valsis likes this.
  6. Valsis

@JasonZ617 awesome work!

I would just suggest you to actually edit the zip file and add the .json files in there as well so we can have the entire pack of files for later use and pack update. It would make our life easier ;)

A side from that, amazing job! I'm honestly impressed with your work so far. Keep going like that and we might have a texturer of the month!

Best regards,
  7. JasonZ617

.________. ur right @Valsis xD
    Ok im gonna make ur life easier <3 haha
    Just download it and follow the instructions.txt
    :p

Attached Files:

malvin37 and Valsis like this.
  8. redflex1235

redflex1235 Well-Known Member

@JasonZ617 Those are some amazing textures, really looking forward to have them in my game

With that put aside, I am back to texturing after a year or so :)
    School and other games took a lot of my time, I will try to dedicate a bit more time to texturing.
    In other news, I have a grass path texture in the works and will be submitting it as soon as it's done :)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 22, 2015 ---
    Here it is, feel free to criticise, as I am a bit rusty since I haven't been texturing got over a year.

Grass Path v1

grass_path_side.png
    grass_path_side.png

grass_path_top.png
    grass_path_top.png

Screenshot (open)

2015-08-22_21.55.22.png

@Valsis Hope you don't mind, I used your red-clothed crafting table to use in my profile pic :)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2015 ---
    grass_path_side.png v2 with slightly better shading. Not really noticable, but it's there.
    grass_path_side.png

Screenshot (open)

2015-08-23_00.43.04.png
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    JasonZ617 likes this.
  9. Valsis

@redflex1235 The approach is perfect however there's a small detail that is not visible in the screenshot but it's visible when looking to the side of the block. The shadow of the grass is way to saturated, almost with a red tint to it.

I was wondering if you used the grass block side and simply tweaked the green color of the grass. If yes, that's not going to work because the shadowed part of the grass is simply gonna be way to saturated and the color itself needs to be more like dried out grass. I would suggest using the dirt block and play around with the grass overlay instead ;)

Right when this block was out and available to be textured I actually made my own approach that I'm going to post now so you can see the difference
    grass_path_side/top (open)

2015-08-22_23.34.13.png grass_path_side.png grass_path_top.png
    I also have my version of the purpur blocks now along with the endstone bricks and end rod :)
    purpur_block + purpur_pillar + purpur_pillar_top (open)

2015-08-22_23.22.40.png
    2015-08-22_23.23.05.png
    2015-08-22_23.24.25.png purpur_block.png purpur_pillar.png purpur_pillar_top.png
    endstone_bricks + endrod (open)

2015-08-22_23.25.36.png
    end_rod.png end_bricks.png

Thoughts? :p
  10. redflex1235

@Valsis As I mentioned before, I'm a bit rusty since I haven't textured in a long time, so any feedback is very much appreciated :)

As for the grass path, I did use the grass_side. The reason being, I've forgotten how to texture :)
    (layers weren't used etc.)
    I will start from scratch on the grass path, expect a much better outcome (even though I already know it's going to be the exact same)

Considering your blocks, there's nothing to say, all I know is that I'm using those right away :)

(the previous post "the slightly more shaded grass path" has been replaced with this post, so noone gets confused where that post went)
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  11. Valsis

For some reason the shadow looks way to blurred now... your previous approach had it more defined. :p

It's also way to dark. If you put it side by side with the regular grass you'll see there will be a huge clash of shadows. In my opinion they should be as similar as possible ;)

I know you can do it!
  12. redflex1235

I feel like this is better overall.
    Side texture remade completely from scratch, using the grass_side_overlay.png and dirt.png as @Valsis suggested, and hand-shading individual pixels. Also sightly adjusted the coloring on the old top to match the new side.
    grass_path v3

grass_path_side.png v3
    grass_path_side.png

grass_path_top.png v3
    grass_path_top.png

Screenhot (open)

[​IMG]
    I decided to use imgur for screenshots because for some reason it does not accept the minecraft screenshots...

Off topic: Is anyone else having problems with certain textures in the latest snapshot? The ones I noticed are: every custom item model appears huge in third person; redstone is default, birch door has the pink-black checkered texture, mossy cobble walls - same as birch door
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 22, 2015 ---
    After I stared at the normal grass for 10 minutes (overexaggerating a bit :p), I noticed that the shading doesn't go around every pixel, but to the left and downwards of each "grass". Then I remade the shading layer from scratch, and this is how it looks:

grass_path_side v4
    grass_path_side.png

Screenshot (open)

[​IMG]
    Hope you like it :)
  13. artdude543

artdude543 Lead Administrator / Mad Modder Staff Member

@redflex1235 In regards about the models bugs; this is due to a model change which we need to release. These have all been fixed I will upload the changes here so people can fix their "snapshot" packs to continue using Soartex Fanver.
    Valsis and redflex1235 like this.
  14. redflex1235

@artdude543 Glad to hear it's not something I did. Looking forward to the fixes.
  15. redflex1235

Made a trapdoor to match the alt planks, crafting table etc. @Valsis made a while back :)

trapdoor.png

Screenshot (open)

2015-08-23_22.21.04.png
    All the credit goes to @Valsis for her amazing textures :)

P.S. Val, when you first made these alt blocks, what type of wood were they supposed to be made of? I made them spruce in my pack, but would like to know what you meant them to be :)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 23, 2015 ---
    Also took the pleasure of updating Valsis' fence to our new model layout.

.png-s (open)

fence_spruce_top.png fence_spruce_side.png

Screenshot (open)

How it looks next to all of her blocks + my trapdoor :)
    2015-08-24_00.04.04.png

---------------------------------------
    Edit: Fence Gate :)
    fence_spruce_gate.png

Screenshot (open)

2015-08-24_00.16.53.png
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Valsis likes this.
  16. Valsis

@redflex1235 as much as we love diversity, we must take the 1.9 update as our priority right now :)

There's plenty of things to work on for 1.9, let's not go astray from our goal alrighty? ^_^
  17. redflex1235

@Valsis the reason I started doing these "alts", is because I'm not that good of a texturer, rather a copy-paste-changer at the moment :p
    When the time that I learn how to make a completely new texture from scratch comes, I'll work on the main pack. But for now, I guess I'll have to let you guys handle it.
    If there are some new textures that clearly use already made textures (in the vanilla pack), I'll give those a try, you can be sure of it :)
  18. Valsis

Don't rely on other people posting textures for you to work on them. Venture yourself in the unknown and try to make some textures.

We all did it that way and that's how we improved. That's how you will improve! Without trying you wont know if you will fail or succeed.

That's how @JasonZ617 is so good at this very moment. He's trying and trying without giving up. He posts his work and waits for feedback to improve what he did. This is how you have to work as well ;)
    redflex1235 likes this.
  19. JasonZ617

Conditional Command Blocks!
    No redstone needed? Imagine the possibilities :OOOOOO
    Screenshot (open)

[​IMG]
    Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Valsis and redflex1235 like this.
  20. Valsis

@JasonZ617 your command blocks are already in our pack for when it gets released.

Congrats on having the first textures of 1.9 approved and already in the Dev. Version of the pack. Well done!

Ready for more textures?! Get set! GO!!

Keep doing the amazing job and, best regards,
    JasonZ617 likes this.
  21. Valsis

Took my first try in making the beetroot stages. I would like people's opinions considering I hate these textures
    beetroot stages + screenshot (open)

beetroots_stage_0.png beetroots_stage_1.png beetroots_stage_2.png beetroots_stage_3.png
    2015-08-25_21.52.38.png
    2015-08-25_21.54.42.png
    Beetroots have really vibrant green leaves and I tried to stay faithful to that reason why there's a huge green difference between them and the carrots/potatoes.
    artdude543, JasonZ617 and redflex1235 like this.
  22. redflex1235

@Valsis It looks like you missed my latest Grass Path texture, the v4, and hoping you could give some feedback on how to improve it :)
    Gonna post it here to make it easier:
    grass_path_side.png

Screenshot (open)

2015-08-23_02.40.17.png
  23. Valsis

@redflex1235 If you look closely, your grass has a red tint to it. If you use the vanilla texture itself and color pick the top colors you will see in the color palette that it falls into the yellows on a more neutral tone than vibrant.

The spoiler below will show you what I mean with the color pick tool and that will show you what you have to change in yours ;)
    color picker lessons HYPE! (open)

grasspath.png
    Also the shadow, compared to the regular grass block, it's way darker, gotta tweak that as well and make it less noticeable :)
  24. redflex1235

Ok, here we go... Grass Path v5 (possibly final?)
    The shading is a bit less noticeable, color tweaked to be more yellow than having that reddish tint and gave the top a tiny bit more texture because it's a path, and it's going to get walked on a lot :p

grass_path_top v5
    grass_path_top.png

grass_path_side v5
    grass_path_side.png

Screenshot (open)

2015-08-26_18.27.46.png

Attached Files:

25. Valsis

@redflex1235 I feel I'm being super picky but I have to.

The bottom of the grass should go slightly darker than the top of the grass. in your case the grass is going yellower/green-ish (more saturated) instead of slightly darker.. (check spoiler below)
    the wrongs in the shadowed part (open)

123.png
    If you look at the regular grass side, you see that there's a gradient from the main green to a darker green to create dimension. Yours goes from the pale yellow/green to a more saturated and vibrant color. That's not how shadow works :p

Also, be gentle in your transitions when you're dealing with saturation/desaturation , shadow/light. ;)
  26. redflex1235

@Valsis Got it, will work on it as soon as I come home.
    P.S. What do you think about the coloring and the slightly roughened top texture? :)
    P.P.S. That green on the bottom part of the grass was accidental, it slipped by me. Good thing I kept the .xcf which I usually don't :D
    --- Post Merged, Aug 26, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 26, 2015 ---
    To be honest, I don't really know how to fix the greenish parts... Could I get any pointers? I use Gimp so it might be a bit awkward since you use PS, sorry.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 26, 2015 ---
    How about now this one? :)

grass_path_top v6
    grass_path_top.png
    grass_path_side v6
    grass_path_side.png

Screenshot (open)

2015-08-26_22.01.54.png
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  27. Valsis

@redflex1235 unfortunately I don't work with GIMP at all so I don't know how to point you on how to fix that green-ish tone on the bottom part of the grass.:oops:

In the meantime, if you're feeling frustrated with this block simply move to another one. We can always go back and then work on it again ;) Let's not allow this to block our way and prevent us from moving on. :)
  28. JasonZ617

NOPE!
    Never worked with plants... but this is an alien plant... D,:
    I dont even think it looks Soartex-ish...
    How can i Soartex-ify a texture? (if that is a word).
    Chorus (Not working in the flowers yet) (open)

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 9, 2015 ---
    Is this a good base for the structure blocks??
    And what font can i use for the letters?
    Structure block (Without letter) (open)

[​IMG]
  29. Valsis

The side of the grass still shows way to saturated on the bottom of the grass itself. I marked it on the screenshot below. That area has to be fixed, it's way to yellow, way to saturated, compare it with the green next to it, the green has a perfect shading towards dark green without going bright in your eyes.
    Show Spoiler

kugi.png
    I've noticed you're stuck with this block. When you're stuck with something when there's other things to do, simply put it a side and move on to something else. Like that you wont get frustrated over the texture. I would strongly advise you to move on to another texture for now ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Okay so, I'm sort of back... sorry about that.

Let's talk Chorus Plants shall we? Since this is one of the weirdest blocks Mojang ever released, let's be creative and do something completely out of the box. I tried something a while ago and the screenie below is what I came up with:
    chorus plant (open)

CN13jKgXAAAlZm3.png
    It has a tree-ish effect and feel to it but it's still weird. Thoughts? Remember... think outside of the box. Don't be so linear ;)

About the Structure Block, I think that's another block from you that can be approved haha! About the letters, I would recommend the following idea to make it slightly different. Imagine a small frame in the center of the block where letters show up, like that it wouldn't look weird to have a character floating around. Instead of the characters being white, we could have a carved effect instead.

Can't wait to check back and see awesome textures posted!! The pack is counting on you guys! :D

Best regards,
  30. JasonZ617

Structure blocks! WIP :D
    Maybe one of them?
    Maybe none of them?
    Maybe changing something?
    Screenshot (open)

[​IMG]