Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Minecraft 1.9 & Snapshots - Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Valsis, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

Welcome back Everyone!

With the release of 1.9’s snapshot let’s now open this thread for Blocks submissions.

For those wondering where the previous threads are now, you can click here and remember all the awesome work made so far.

We will maintain the submission pattern we had from the 1.8 submissions threads to keep posts in order and clean of spam.

For the new members, this system consists in three separate threads, one for Blocks, another one for Items and, the last but not least, one for textures that do not fit in the category of Blocks nor Items.

Also we still believe that using the following format when posting textures will help both texture makers, users and Texture Reviewers, so do post your textures using the following form:

Vanilla texture name:
    Version:
    Texture:
    Screenshot(s):
    Click this to read explanations about the form (open)

• Vanilla texture name: (e.g.)purpur_block.png
    • Version: If you make various versions of one texture make sure to identify them, for example as v1/ v2/ v3 etc. This makes it easier to address the textures and not confuse people.Trust me, it can be pretty awkward to try to refer to a specific version without the actual numbers.
    • Texture: wfjbowu.png (The texture you made. Make sure you save it as .png)
    • Screenshot: We'd love if they could be taken during daytime (unless it's one that needs a darker environment eg. Glowstone) and for items, we'd love if you could post them on the ground as well into your hotbar to make sure that there are no stray pixels etc) Picture_04.jpeg Picture_05.png

Please note that, submissions that don't follow this format won’t be considered valid for review (From our Texture Reviewers). We'd prefer not to cloud the thread with unnecessary post asking for specific information that this form provides us with.

Additionally, we'd love for everyone that wants to give their love, unless it's specific Feedback, to use the Like button instead. This will help your input to be recorded while the texture browsing is eased.

As a quick note, we accept texture submissions for both older versions of Minecraft as well 1.9.

While we love seeing textures for things we already have, we'll appreciate if you focus on the newer textures first. :)

Let’s do this!!
  2. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Guess who's back at it? (Me)

I haven't textured in months so forgive me if I have a stray pixel or two when it comes to shading. Anyway, here are three new blocks.

Disclaimer, though: I'm so behind on the Minecraft updates and I got a new computer so I still need to install it and everything. In the meantime, if someone wants to test these in Minecraft that would be greatly appreciated; but if not, no worries!

Name: purpur_block.png
    Version: V1
    Texture:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Name:
    purpur_pillar.png
    Texture:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Name:
    purpur_pillar_top.png
    Texture:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Woo, 1.9 here we come!
    greencometGC, malvin37 and Valsis like this.
  3. Valsis

@DrumMaster4 Amazing start!

I can see you used the cobblestone texture over a regular stone texture to make this, am I correct? If yes, I believe we could step up our game and make brand new textures, from scratch, without using existing ones to make our pack more unique. What do you think? :)

You can still keep the shapes you made to mimic the carved parts of the blocks, cause those are on point, simply make a brand new base texture.

Again, amazing start! Keep doing the awesome job, it's good to have you back!
    Jashani and DrumMaster4 like this.
  4. DrumMaster4

@Valsis - I believe it was the stone slab texture just because I thought it would work. And also because I've never been good at making successful base textures from scratch :oops:

I'll give it a shot now though and see if I can get anything good/usable!
    Valsis likes this.
  5. CRASH1997

CRASH1997 Well-Known Member

• Vanilla texture name: end_bricks.png
    • Version: 0.1 alpha
    • Texture: end_bricks.png
    • Screenshot: 2015-08-08_14.28.16.png
    Well, I just tried... It's hard to be a dilettante.
    I used Mojang technology - I painted bricks texture in blue color and inverted.
    P.S. Sorry for bad English.
    Jashani likes this.
  6. Valsis

@CRASH1997
    For someone that said that sucks at photoshop this is an amazing start!

There's just a few things, details actually, I would like to point out in order for you to improve your work :)

1) The texture is slightly more yellow than the end stone from the pack, so that needs to be tweaked.

2) Also, once I saw it It reminded me right away of sandstone bricks (a version we have for sandstone_carved). That might be better to change as well in order to avoid confusion. Instead of having 6 rows of bricks try to follow the vanilla texture instead. :)

These two tiny changes will make it a unique block for sure! And that's what we're all about right?

I believe in you!

Best regards,
    Jashani and CRASH1997 like this.
  7. CRASH1997

I think I can take textures of bricks from Invictus, they are similar to vanila texture. And Invictus is made by Soartex Team members.
  8. Valsis

No no no no!

Their work is not to be used in Fanver what so ever. They might be part of the team but their work is private and not to be used in the community pack at all. It's like one house with two different teams that have different projects that do not mix.

We do not use other people's content to make our pack, we want to be unique and make our own textures.

Best regards,
    Jashani likes this.
  9. JasonZ617

JasonZ617 Well-Known Member

What about this (first try):
    [​IMG]
    Image:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    greencometGC and Jashani like this.
  10. Valsis

@JasonZ617

I love the approach! Honestly!

There's one thing that needs to be improved. The carved are is way to yellow and, there's no light/shadow contrast in it. Here is a link (click here) with a tiny graphic with a small clarification on what I'm trying to say. I hope it can be helpful for you to fix the texture :D

Keep doing the awesome job and best regards,
  11. JasonZ617

Im a noob at texturing but i keep trying :D i know they can be better but this is what ive done:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Im also trying to make the chorus textures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    RogueAgent and CRASH1997 like this.
  12. Valsis

@JasonZ617 and everyone that want to contribute,

I can see that you used the endstone texture to make the purpur blocks. Like I said to @DrumMaster4, let's be original and make creative content by not reusing textures we already have, shall we? ;)

When we have brand new textures coming to the game, I always say for people to make brand new textures and not re-use what we have. If we re-use existing textures we will pass by a group of unoriginal people that can't make new things.

I know this is not true! I know we can do it! I know we can be original and be amazing at what we do; continuing the amazing work of Soar49. :)

We all start as noobs, there's no doubt about it however, it's not by reusing textures we will improve. We need to dive into the oblivion and come back with some awesome work.Don't take

The endstone bricks I love it however I would like to see a screenshot to make sure the carved areas have the right color in it ;) simply edit your comment and add the screenie okay? ;)

The purpur blocks, they have to be re-done. Re-used textures are a no-go for me :p The carved areas are spot on! However, they are grey'ed tone instead of a dark-ish purple. Have you tried to make a separate layer with the carved areas and apply a Multiply filter?

For the Chorus Plant , they are supposed to be leaf/cactus type of trees. Sometimes I wish I could understand Mojang and their weird ideas for textures. Your attempt is way to purple, if you put it side-by-side with the vanilla texture you will see that the saturation has to be decreased a little bit. Also, using the cactus flower it's a no-go for me again. Innovation!! Creativity!! You can do it!! :D

Don't take me as super strict with your work, I would have done the same to everyone else that posts textures for Vanilla. I just want us the be the best pack we can be and show the world we can be creators of amazing artworks :)

I'll be waiting on your, @CRASH1997 's and @DrumMaster4 's improvements ;)

Best regards,
    Jashani likes this.
  13. JasonZ617

Aaaaaaand... what about this? I kinda like the new texture but its ur decision :p
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    And the image @Valsis asked for
    [​IMG]
    Should this bricks have bigger carvings like the purpur ones i made?
  14. Valsis

@JasonZ617 Awesome!

Now... about the purpur blocks, the carved areas are now way to saturated xD You have to find a middle term between gray toned and huge amount of saturation. We have to find balance between both aspects.

Also, what base texture did you use for the block itself? Either you got a really good texture for it or I'm recognizing it from somewhere else.

Love the end_bricks texture :) amazing work!

Best regards,
  15. JasonZ617

Hahahah oh wow @Valsis this is a long learning process xD
    I desaturated the carvings a little bit:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And the base texture was a random polished stone i found on internet, added some noise and other effects :p
    Image:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Aaaaaand i tweaked the endbrick carvings... Do u prefer this or the prevous one?
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    BTW thank you for ur support :3
  16. Valsis

@JasonZ617
    Those purpur blocks are way better however, if you look closely, there's a few pixels in the carved areas that are still incredibly magenta(pink). It looks like there's a few pixels on the interception of the carved areas only. In this link you'll be able to see what I mean.

About the end_bricks, the light/shadow effect is not correct. In our pack the light hits the top & right sides of the blocks and, by consequence, we get shadow on the left & bottom sides of the blocks. I believe that a mirror of the block will do ;)

Amazing work! Honestly. Never give up!

I want more people to contribute the same way you're doing. It makes me very happy to see people involved :)

Best regards,
  17. JasonZ617

Uh @Valsis i didnt know the fact about the lighting :p The purpur blocks also had wrong light direction so i mirrored them all and fixed (i think) the saturation in the intersections... How do they look now?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Images
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  18. Valsis

@JasonZ617 The screenshot of the purpur blocks doesn't match the textures you posted, however the textures are now correct and with the right saturation!

End_bricks are also correct as well!

We might have our first blocks for 1.9! :D However we still need to give others time to submit textures as well :)

Fantastic work @JasonZ617

Best regards,
    DrumMaster4 and JasonZ617 like this.
  19. CRASH1997

I'll try to make End Rod. We are not out of blocks yet. :D
    I guess I will have to draw everything myself, witout using other's texteres... :(
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    JasonZ617 likes this.
  20. Valsis

Never make a sad face. Always take it as a challenge for you to grow as a person and an artist. You can't claim ownership over something you made out of something that already exists however, you CAN always claim ownership of something you made/built/designed from scratch! :D

I'm just being hard on you to help you be even better! You might not see it this way right now but on the longer run, I'm hoping you will. I know you can do it because I believe in you :)

Best regards,
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  21. CRASH1997

With this beautiful hands
    Look at my hands! (open)
    1371115259_815667434.gif
    I made end_rod.png
    end_rod.png
    Screenshot (open)
    2015-08-13_01.19.56.png
    How it looks with Jason's textures
    It's not the best in class, of course, but I think it looks nice.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  22. DrumMaster4

@JasonZ617 - Great job on the Purpur Blocks and the End Bricks! They've come a long way since your first post with them, but they look really good! As Val said, we (might) have our first blocks for 1.9; woo!

@CRASH1997 - That End Rod looks pretty good! We'll wait for @Valsis' opinion as well, but it looks pretty good as of now I think
    JasonZ617 and CRASH1997 like this.
  23. JasonZ617

NEW COMMAND BLOCKS! :D
    I dont know if they look right or not but im happy with them... Im gonna use them till someone post better textures xD
    This is what i did xD (open)

[​IMG]
  24. Valsis

Quite honestly I never liked our command blocks to begin with and I strongly believe we can do better. They do not fit our pack style at all.

I would suggest trying to work on a new texture for it however, the buttons look cool. Just keep in mind these blocks have animated buttons that change colors. ;)

Best regards,
  25. Nikiforos

Nikiforos Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone !
    I updated my command block texture for 1.9 ! Fully animated with color-accurate buttons ! Hope you like it. :)

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. JasonZ617

I made this :O
    Command Blocks (open)

[​IMG]
  27. Valsis

Welcome back Nikiforos, long time no see!!

As I said in the post right above yours, I never quite liked our Command Blocks and I strongly believe we can do better. The ones we have, do not fit our pack one bit and we need to change that. With that, I'm looking for new textures for the Command Blocks. I know you're amazing at textures and I believe in your work. You've been around for as long and I do, if not more, and I know what you can do.

You can easily impress me and surprise me so, I'm waiting for your work ;)

Dear lord Jason, you're on a role!!

I love it, I would just suggest giving some texture to it considering it's all rather plain straight color, if that makes sense. Right now it looks kinda plastic-y. What you just did is an amazing base for sure and I love it! Also, have you tried to remove the frame to see how it looks??

I'm impressed with your work so far. Seriously, amazing work. Keep going!

Both of you are capable of great things, just believe in what you can do and make it happen. :)

Best regards,
    Nikiforos likes this.
  28. JasonZ617

o_O?
    Like this? (open)

[​IMG]
    I think i need to change the texture i added. Looks weird D:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Valsis likes this.
  29. Valsis

@JasonZ617 it's turning so much better! I like it without the frame.

And I agree with you, the texture has to be changed, it reminds me of a fluffy stuffed block that I wanna cuddle and poke the buttons all day, haha!

Still I'm seriously happy with your work so far :) keep doing the great job!

best regards,
    Nikiforos and JasonZ617 like this.
  30. Nikiforos

Nikiforos Well-Known Member

Long time no see indeed ! I haven't been around for sooo long and I'm sorry for that but I had stuff to do IRL. Valsis you have definitely been around for longer lol ;) .
    The 1.9 snapshots got me excited again for minecraft and I'll try to stay active here and of course in the mods section. You see Vanilla textures isn't my specialty I think.
    Hope we are ready before the 1.9 releases. :D
    Valsis likes this.