Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Libbykino's Ore

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by libbykino, Sep 18, 2012.

1. libbykino

libbykino Prominent Member

2. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Judging from the customizer faves counts, about a fifth of the people using the customizer use your ores.

It's likely in well over 10,000 downloads. ;)
  3. libbykino

libbykino Prominent Member

o_O no way... I'm genuinely shocked...
  4. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Rough numbers, beware.
    Show Spoiler

Well, 150k DL/month. 10% from the customizer, so that makes 15k customizer hits. The site takes a 20% cut, so I'll put it at 18k. That's not counting people who turned off adfly completely. As a conservative estimate, 15% of all users downloading Soartex custom used your ores. That's 2,700 just last month. Multiply that over however many months they have been up, which was back in February, but subtract based on the pack's overall polularity. My estimate is 3000 in August, 2400 in July, 1800 June, 1000 May, 500 April, 250 March... About 10k. :p

I like rough numbers.
  5. Disaster86

Disaster86 Minecraft Modder

6. NocturneBlock

NocturneBlock Well-Known Member

I am using this as a template for a mod that creates ores in the Nether and the End, so I modified it to be a smaller, more generic file (only two crystal layers, with no color overlay applied, so they're black) and easier to use with vivid stone textures- the default bevel as it was created made some strange effects on Netherrack. Posting for other people to use, and including the Netherrack and Endstone backgrounds, since that was the part that took most of the work.

If anyone wants to make a new "Impressions" layer for another rock texture (Sandstone comes to mind), just duplicate the Crystals layers, open the Layer FX (the little triangle at the right of the layer bar), and change the Bevel to Outer Bevel, turn off Global Light (otherwise you'll screw up the light angle on the crystals), and set the Light Angle to -50. Depending on the texture you are using, you might like it just the way it is with that, but I also changed the effect from Screen to Color Dodge, and applied a Color overlay to make the center of the impressions match the stone, but darker. When you like the effect on one Impressions layer, copy the Layer Effects to the other one, check to make sure you like the effect with the other (Bevels act a bit different on different size objects), adjust as necessary, then merge with your target rock texture.

You also have the option of making a separate Crystals and Impressions layer for each combination of material and rock, but this is a close parallel of the other Ore template, and I wasn't feeling that detail-oriented. :-J

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Shoeboxam likes this.