Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Let Your Fanver Mind Speak

Discussion in 'News & Discussions' started by Valsis, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

In this thread you may freely post your opinion of the Pack, what you think about other's reviews and simply release your Fanver-related thoughts about what could be improved.

Opinions must be respected so, with this, do not start flame wars against other members. Accept their criticism, read them carefully, digest any information contained within and, if you would like to be clarified, proceed to contact the person in question through private message.

Good criticism is well accepted here but, keep in mind that negative posts and bad criticism is only destructive and doesn't help anyone improve their work nor the pack to be developed. Please think before you post and re-read your post before hitting submit. Any destructive criticism will be deleted. There's no need to have negative and destructive feedback when we are here to work as a team.

This thread is solely to express your opinions, this is NOT a place to post textures.

Posts that contain textures will be deleted without previous warning so please proceed to post them in the right thread. (click here - Vanilla Minecraft 1.7 & snapshots)

This is not a place to chat with other members, if you want to do so, please start a private conversation with the members you would like to talk to. Any posts that contain off-topic subjects will be deleted without previous warning.

[This post is subjected to changes at any time]
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  2. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

So I have a small conundrum, anyone want to speak their mind?

The primary grass color texture in vanilla is greyscale, and colored with the biome palette called grasscolor.png. Soartex, however, uses a green grass base texture and whitewashes the grasscolor.png to reduce its effect on the grass. This way the variation is still existent in the grass, however, the tall grass can have color depth and lighter tips.

Here comes the problem! The savannah biome in 1.7 is yellow... Not green, straight up yellow, unlike all the other biomes. Since the Soartex grass is pre-colored to be green, Soartex makes savannah green as well.

Two possible solutions:
    1. Make all Soartex grass textures greyscale, and lose the lighter tall grass tips and higher quality grass. Add all the precolored grasses back in as MCPatcher/Optifine only via CTM.
    2. Don't change anything, but use CTM to add greyscale versions of all textures to the savannah, desert and canyons, and a custom color palette. Basically a yellow Savannah requires Optifine/MCPatcher, but everything else looks the same.

Any preference between the two options?
  3. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Well-Known Member

Does using a lighter spectrum on the greyscale not help? Honestly I wish the flower stems could be grey scaled. The blue flower seems to be a swamp specific flower as well as the allium which is in the flower forests. ( I did try )
  4. Shoeboxam

Lighter spectrum on the greyscale? I could half and half it. Half yellow, half color depth. :p
    Nope, you can't greyscale flowers because the colorizer would affect the flowers themselves. However, you can create flower textures for specific biomes and write up a little biome specific CTM file. If you'd like to see an example of this, open this folder:
    assets/minecraft/mcpatcher/ctm/models/flower_dandelion/
    I have roses and flowers altered so that they appear darker in the swamp biome.

If you'd like to add specific biome plants, I'd be happy to write CTM files for them. ;)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  5. Mocha4u

What program would I use to open said file in? I know what and where they are. But that would be the extent of my knowledge regarding the ctm files.
  6. Shoeboxam

Very simple, the files can be opened in any text editor, like notepad or wordpad. Inside you'll see a list of parameters. All available parameters are shown here, under the ctm.properties:
    https://bitbucket.org/prupe/mcpatcher/raw/master/doc/

The MCPatcher topic on the Minecraft Forum has a spoiler with walk-throughs of every feature available in MCPatcher, including CTM. Most of the features also work with Optifine, but there are a few specific kinks to avoid.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :p
  7. Meara

Meara Well-Known Member

@Shoeboxam I'd think that option one would be your best bet, given better quality grass, vers a little detail. (never actually knew that the grass had yellow tips) But I don't think it would be safe to base the vanilla pack around a mod, even if it's an aesthetic improvement. I know optifine and mcpatcher are commonly used (I don't use it even on my vanilla world. Forge all da way baby!). I still personally think that we should tailor the pack to an "right-out-of-box" experience, rather then "If you want to use this pack, your going to need -this-, -this-, and, -this-". Specially since high res texture packs don't need to work around those two mods any more.
    Mocha4u and Sheynx like this.
  8. SOliver

SOliver New Member

Howdy! If you ask … there are a few things, I really don't like about current Soartex. First the glowstones. I have to patch it back to the old texture (the white cube) in every version, because it is quite impossible to create modern designs with the current glowstones. If you look at youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2pYjEOuCc, this is quite impossible with this yellow textures, because it will never fit in any modern environment and I really hate this middle age designs and there are really better ressource packs for that. I also patch the pictures of course in every version, but that is just my favorite.

Then please please please stop experimenting on ctm features of glass like in the current version. The (biom) textures will never fit in the environment of the world and I don't want to patch even more, just because someone decided, that this is a totally useless, but nice to have features. It is not! Making textures look different in different biomes (except end and nether) is just confusing and totally useless.

The next important thing is the texture of the cobblestones. If you are in survival, you might have to build most and big buildings (mob trap, iron farm, whatever) out of cobble. But the texture is totally boring. It doesn't even look smooth or modern or any kind of interesting. It just looks boring and on big buildings it is quite annoying. Currently I'm having the cobble texture of Misa, but that is quite too much in my opinion. Something in between, that still works for bigger areas (ctm) would be great. The same for gravel, which is just grey and boring too.

Those few blocks need a lot more improvements and not the blocks, you never use like enchanting tables or ores. :)

Just my 2¢!
  9. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

@SOliver

We'll mostly keep the original textures and not modify them as they are what Soartex actually is. If you'd like to customize it a bit more, please head over to our customizer http://customizer.soartex.net/ and mix and match. There should be lots of stuff there.

The white glowstone/thing that you mention doesn't fit the style of the pack, in my opinion and, I assure you, our glowstone works really good in modern designs. Youtube it. ;)

I plan to poke and probe at the pack and see what's been added that shouldn't have been and generally clean stuff up but I don't know what will go or what will stay.
  10. Shoeboxam

@Meara: The tall grass doesn't have yellow tips, it has lighter tips than would be possible with a standard biome palette. I agree about making the pack work out of the box, but this case either doesn't work one way or doesn't work the other. I'll probably convert/revert all to greyscale though.

@SOliver, Sheynx: I think it would make sense to add a white glowstone to the customizer. There should be some options there. ;)

About the glass, I agree with you. I just haven't had the chance to change it yet.
    http://soartex.net/community/threads/a-problem-with-glass.792/#post-8994
    I need to remove a few biome-specific features. The swamp flowers are good though. What do you think about the mountain flowers?

When it comes to cobblestone, the customizer should have alts. I'm content with the cobble we have regardless. Thanks for the input!
  11. SOliver

SOliver New Member

I would, but the options are quite rare till now, as Shoeboxam said, there is no white glowstone.

As far as I know, the white glowstone was a long time in the texture pack and the style of the texture pack, is what you make it. ;-)
    If I want to use a yellow lamp, I could also use the redstone lamp (the new off color is quite nice btw.), which I actually do. Hiding a lever is not a big deal. But if you have a large hall, and you need to light it, it is quite impossible with the yellow lamps. Or design a purple wool room and put yellow lights at the ceiling … really?

Flowers and other decorating stuff is no big problem, as you do not build large areas with it. :)

The alternatives are better, but what I really wanted to say, that the most used blocks deserves a little more attention and love. ;-)
  12. Mocha4u

While I can't say I fully agree with you SOliver, I do have glows that are not fully white per say but more neutral, I never uploaded before as they could be deemed boring, but they always served me well.
  13. Sheynx

I have no knowledge of the white glowstone ever being part of this pack. Are you sure that you are using textures made on our Forum/Download Page? I think I saw a very pale yellow one (I want it back! *poke*) but that looked way different than what you showed.

Also, just a tip, purple and yellow/orange (from the example you gave) go great together. Click -> Color wheel theory stuff.
    Valsis likes this.
  14. SOliver

SOliver New Member

Yeah, in theory yellow text on blue websites should look nice too … ;-)

Oh, and quite cool improvements would be a working bench, that can be placed like wood, because the front of my working bench is every time at the wall. :-( And a connected texture workbench would be quite cool. I saw this on the Misa package => http://i.imgur.com/zGoAu.png. I know totally useless, but quite cool. :)
    GoldBattle likes this.
  15. Valsis

We actually have two new work benches and both of them are already set in the customizer and they were both made by Mocha4u and myself.

Feel free to take a look and choose the one you like.
  16. Mocha4u

Really? When did this happen? lol. I gotta take a peak.
  17. SOliver

SOliver New Member

I saw this, but I like the original better … but every time I just see the backside. :-D
  18. Mocha4u

Does anyone still have a version of the astroturfed Creeper? (I dunno that is what the zombie skin looks like to me. It amuses me.) I can't find my copy.
  19. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Okay, I was browsing through the customizer and found three glaring issues, all involving my textures. All three of these are located in the building section, just for easy reference.

Lapis: There is a block there, accredited to myself, based in glowstone.
    Redstone: There is an Ornate Strip and a Rough (those are their names)

For the record, those three are textures in the Chisel Mod, which I haven't worked on in a month or two. They were never meant for a vanilla customizer, and they do not look suitable for a Vanilla game. I guess they could stay in there, but I would prefer if that didn't happen, as I really don't think anyone uses them in Vanilla...
  20. Sheynx

I am currently making a huge Microsoft Office Word document on what needs to be improved or removed from the customizer and pack. If you got any textures similar to the issues you mentioned, do let me know.
  21. Mocha4u

Mocha type people (ok maybe just me) would like to see the potatoes redone. She has difficulty telling if they are full grown or not regardless of how many frappaccino's are consumed.
    Valsis and Sheynx like this.
  22. ArtBleed

ArtBleed Well-Known Member

My two cents here. I love the glowstone In the pack and use it all my modern designs. think outside the box, it doesn't look medieval it looks like a stained glass window. Now improvements I think could be made on the lava, which in my server we all jokingly called 'tomato soup' because thats what it looks like. I have some ideas in mind but i think they wouldn't fit with the pack actually. Maybe different variations of glowstone colours so someone could choose which they liked best? I wouldn't mind white if it carried the same pattern it currently had.
  23. DrumMaster4

We had a few alternate color glowstones on the old customizer – i'll try to find them in my files, as we're in the process of getting a whole new customizer.

Lava is challenging because it's a red/orange "tomato soup" when it flows in real life too. Not really sure if we could change the color without it not looking like lava anymore.
  24. ArtBleed

ArtBleed Well-Known Member

I have seen lava irl. I

I have seen lava in Hawaii, it does not look like a delicous warm bowl of something I want to dunk my grilled cheese in. But I can see how that look fits the pack. If you made it look like glowing river of death with crisp air cooled edges it probably wouldn't fit.

But yes please id like to see other glow stone. My only other complaint about the pack is not for a vanilla item, and i belive this thread is just for vanilla stuff.
  25. DrumMaster4

It's not just for Vanilla stuff, it's for anything Fanver related. So you can post your complaint here, no worries :)
  26. RubikMan

RubikMan Well-Known Member

Hey @dan14941, is there any chance to create a 3d model for the rails? They would look awesome! Anyway Thanks :)
  27. Lafleurdelys

Lafleurdelys Well-Known Member

new snapshot 14w29b sucks ! The new version is completely different with 1.7.2 so many things was added like shaders... and the pack flash the textures it's horrible ! :'(
  28. Valsis

You can turn off shaders and everything you don't like as far as I know. You just have to go to the video settings in game and pick what you want on and off.

PS: try to keep off topic posts in their right threads ;)
  29. EnderMage

EnderMage New Member

Soartex is such an awesome resource pack!:D
    The only thing I don't like is the photo-realistic stuff, like the enderpearls, eyes of ender, spider eyes, fermented spider eyes, sheep faces, and maybe the iron tools. Those are the only ones I've noticed. Could Valsis probably change that to something that's cartoony or drawn bot not too realistic? Thank you if you do anyways.
  30. Valsis

Hello there @EnderMage !

I understand your point of view in the things you mentioned however this subject is rather debatable. All the textures that end up going in the Main Pack are carefully reviewed by both @DrumMaster4 and myself and then, and only then, the pack is released, however, all previous textures that were submitted are still kept available here (community forum) so other people can search for other alternatives in case if they want to have other textures instead.

There's also a Customizer on the making right now where, so far, all the textures submitted in the community, including the ones approved as alts, will be displayed there so other people can choose from there what to have in their own customized pack with official Fanver Textures.

In the meantime, while the Customizer is still being coded, I strongly suggest you to use the search engine, on the top right corner, to find more alternatives that we have in the forum.

I hope this helps your situation and stay smooth!

Best regards,
    Val*
    DrumMaster4 and EnderMage like this.