Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Items

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Rashed, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redflex1235

redflex1235 Well-Known Member

My try at the potatoes, i know they're not good but i thought i'd post them here to see your opinion :)
    potato.png potatoBaked.png potatoPoisonous.png
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Gosh, um...

It's a good shape, but shading is relatively flat.

The baked potato is a no, and that street looks like butter. The poisonous potato has ... vines? I don't like that.

If there was a way to mesh Val's design but your shape, that's probably something I would like to have put in the pack. (Our current ones kind of look like dog poo)
  3. redflex1235

So i have permission to use Val's textures???
  4. redflex1235

I love them :D
  5. redflex1235

The vines were to make it look rotten, I couldn't have thought of a different way to make it look rotten (I just started texturing so i don't except the reviews to be very ˝positive˝)
  6. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

It's chopped salsa!!! Do you even cook?! xD
  7. Valsis

You can use them as long as they stay in Fanver, and Fanver only.
    Like everyone here, I don't wan't my creations to go around other packs.
  8. Valsis

@Shoeboxam The Fish looks way to cartoon-ish and the Nether Star seems like it has an eye on the inside, which I'm not a fan nor it matches the default one.

The Fish might have to be started from scratch and the Nether Star needs to get rid of that eye effect in the middle 'cause it doesn't make sense.
  9. DrumMaster4

I have never had chopped salsa on my potato skin :p

@Shoeboxam - Fish is a no, still derpy! And the nether star is a cool design, but take out the eye in the middle (blue or not). If it looks like it was never there it could work...
  10. redflex1235

I meant only the potatoes, if you look at what i posted you'll see that i need help with them, that's why i was asking for permission :)
  11. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

I love the fish shoe!

And the potatoes are way better then what I made, maybe make them a bit less jagged? Would look better on the bar in your hand.
  12. Valsis

It still reminds me of something Egyptian, like the eye of Ra. the yellow part in the middle has to go. Make it blue-ish almost white and with a slight yellow tone almost faded to the point you can't notice it.

The detail in the nether star doesn't need to be dramatic. It only needs a few touches here and there.
  13. DrumMaster4

Still think the Nether Star needs a little more faded of a yellow, if that's even possible...
    Valsis likes this.
  14. Valsis

For me, that fish is simply not working at all, it needs a new shape/concept.
    Both colors and shape remind me of cartoon fishes and that's not a good thing.

The Nether Star, like @DrumMaster4 said, that yellow needs to be more faded and, my opinion, actually go away.

The tweak on the potato, I totally approve it. Shoe watch the potatoes we don't want them burned!
  15. redflex1235

Could someone show me hot to shade, I'm working on improving my previous potatoes and i need help.
  16. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

@redflex1235:
    I like to use a separate "grain merge" layer to do my shading.

Open a new layer and bucket fill it with hex value 808080. Set the blend mode for the new layer to "Grain Merge." Now switch to the dodge/burn brush and use it on the grain merge layer.

It looks like you're shading the base image itself, but all your brushes are affecting the grain merge layer. This makes it easy to change the overall opacity of your shading, apply filters to your shading and anything else. You can even use multiple grain layers on top of each other.

I mentioned the dodge/burn tool above, and that's going to be the main tool for shading... You can even switch to a grungier brush and turn on the brush dynamics for a rougher, random brush. I tend to use the "basic simple" dynamic. Shifting allows you to make straight lines. "Hard edge" in the tools options disables aliasing (similar to the pencil tool).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. :p I've learned quite a lot from the Gimp tutorials here:
    http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
    GoldBattle likes this.
  17. redflex1235

18. redflex1235

When you're on skype (if you have it can you help me with this because i didn't understand what you just said o_O My skype is denis.kodrin1 ( I'm from Croatia so it might sound weird to you )
  19. DrumMaster4

Faded the yellow a bit. If it goes anymore it becomes grey though...
    [​IMG]
    redflex1235 and Valsis like this.
  20. hamode192

hamode192 Active Member

cause why not I see it good you don't want to make it black like the wither so I thought about purple

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

be honest with me ( not cause it's my first try :) )
    redflex1235 likes this.
  21. Valsis

It's not like we don't want it black, not at all, it's simply the fact we try to follow the default texture pack as close as possible.

We're a fancy version of the Default Texture Pack :p and your Nether Star resembles a bit the Enderman and not the Wither :p

Remember, it's a star, it's not suposed to be dark ;)
    redflex1235 likes this.
  22. hamode192

hamode192 Active Member

just to know that I have taked the pic at the wrong moment (you know cause of the enchantming effect )

but about the default yeah I kinda see that for the changes that drum did on it
    but I was thinking about even the default
    like we know the wither is black so like you said it's not supposed to be dark so the good color is purple not yelow that's for me
    I have an idea am working on right now it's a little hard you'll see :) XD

oh and thanks for the feedback
  23. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

nether_star.png
    The center was actually pretty dark. I lightened that up, then changed some of the yellow hue areas to blue. I also messed with the center a tad.

EDIT: Armor icons attachment so that they can be linked.

chainmail_boots.png chainmail_chestplate.png chainmail_helmet.png chainmail_leggings.png
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  24. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

This thread seems be a bit broken, but on the off chance this post post, I like the shape of the nether star. I think it is really clean and detailed but not to the point of having to much detail. As for the color, I don't see any problem from not having the same thing as vanilla. Personally I would go for a purple, or the yellow. I like how it is going along.

Also shoe posted some armor icons over in the armor thread, don't forge tot check those out.
    http://soartex.net/community/threads/armor.194/page-7#post-8479
  25. DrumMaster4

I still think the center of the Nether Star is too yellow. Just fade it a bit more and you'll be good.

And I love the Chain Armor icons.

(Oh nice, it's fixed!)
  26. hamode192

hamode192 Active Member

I've maked the yellow line on right and the left and up and down ( idea from default :p )
    and I maked the corrners a little darker what do you think ?? should it be like this or like it was ??
    want you ideas guys :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  27. DrumMaster4

Darker corners was a good idea, but it doesn't look good when rendered in game. Look at your hand in the picture. See how sudden an jagged they are? It doesn't look good.

I also, personally, don't think those yellow stripes work. If you want to desperately keep the yellow stripes in, though, you need to fade it more. The yellow in the star you posted seems to be too much (though is it the same as what Shoe posted before with edits?)
  28. hamode192

hamode192 Active Member

so let me understand this step by step
    1- the dark corrners need some tweaks
    2- the yellow in the center is from the last one have beed edited ( which was by shoe )
    3- yellow stripes ( I have a better idea )

but drum why you want to make look like gray star ?? it supposed to be a star

but thanks for the feedback I really appreciate all of yours support

any more ideas ??
  29. Valsis

@hamode192 he doesn't want the star to go gray. Actually the star is mainly white and not yellow to start with and, right now, the stars that have been posted are to yellow and that needs to be changed, that's all. ;)
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  30. hamode192

hamode192 Active Member

Ummmm
    that's better ??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hopefully the tweaks are good you know some changes of the white and grey and like that around the center that's new to me :)

just noticed something the screenshot that I have posted are sooo different from what I see in my game so plz try it to see the full animation :)
    redflex1235 and Shoeboxam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.