Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

How to easily recolor simple textures.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Valsis, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

This tutorial is not recommended for unique textures that Mojang releases in each update.
    I created this mainly to help @devinnnwashere to pick a better color for his acacia planks since he was having issues.
    Do not use this tutorial to be lazy! :p
    Spruu likes this.
  2. J_Malice

J_Malice New Member

Just wanted to mention that if you use this method the colors sometimes come out weird. In this case I was recoloring all the Oak Plank textures from the mod Chisel for the dark oak block. The color came out much different than the standard dark oak inside standard Soartex. But if you use the layer option "multiply" instead of "overlay" then it works flawlessly.
  3. Valsis

Hello there @J_Malice!

Thank you for stopping by and for leaving another tip! That's what we are looking for in this community, anyone can help!

I have found another way to recolor simple textures that I did not have the time to post here yet in a tutorial. However in photoshop, if you go to
    Image > Appearance > Match Color
    You select the source of the color and then the layer you want to be recolored and that process, 80% of the times, gives you a perfect match of color replacement.

I will soon post a tutorial on this, life calls for us and we don't always have as much free time we would like to give as much assistance as possible.

Best regards,
    -Val*
  4. J_Malice

J_Malice New Member

Ahh, that is indeed a handy piece of knowledge! Thank you for that.

Been poking around here for tips while I continue to make soartex-like textures for all the mods in my modpack. So far I am learning a lot about minecraft texturing just working on the mod "Chisel 2" and reading these forums.
  5. Valsis

Glad to be of help!

If you need anything else feel free to poke us around here. I check the forum at least twice a day :D

Best regards,
    -Val*
  6. Oggy

Oggy New Member

Cool
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2015 ---
    That was really helpfull
  7. cookie_oreo

cookie_oreo New Member

Hey i was wondering how i could make your own colormap for a texture pack?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2016, Original Post Date: Jul 20, 2016 ---
    Can i say that i'm sorry for spamming you guys. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2016
  8. Valsis

Hello there Cookie,

A while ago I found this post that might explain how biome colors are handled without Optifine, since it's a file that comes with the game itself. I also have this post that I believe it's the most recent of them all regarding this matter. Data values for specific biomes can be found here and a Pixel-Accurante Biome Palette(PABP) can be found here, which is the current one for the game.

Soartex Fanver uses this PABP and it can be found under
    • assets\minecraft\textures\colormap
    With Optifine we have custom colors that can be found under
    • assets\minecraft\mcpatcher\colormap
    • assets\minecraft\mcpatcher\lightmap
    Custom skies can be found under
    • assets\minecraft\mcpatcher\sky\world0
    This mind look like a lot of information but it's all summed up by the PABP and what colors you associate to which biome. Make sure to follow the PABP scheme otherwise your colormap will not work as intended.

Take our pack's colormaps and lightmaps as a placeholder to make your own and start from there. Simply mess around with the colors you would like to see in your custom colormap and have them applied in game. Once you're happy with the results, simply get rid of the placeholder (base for your own texture).

I hope this helps!
  9. cookie_oreo

cookie_oreo New Member

Hey Val Thx for replying to my message it really help me alot.c:
    Valsis likes this.
  10. Anna Rose

Anna Rose New Member

This post is really helpful and clear some of my topics