Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

How does one make a "pulsing" light?

Discussion in 'News & Discussions' started by Ferelwing, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Ferelwing

Ferelwing Well-Known Member

I finally figured out animation.. However now the image I was trying to make "pulse" is sort of scrolling instead. My goal is to make the center shift color and have the rune stay still. Can anyone advise? This is what I created. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

Hey @Ferelwing

For oyu to make a pulsing light, let's take the prismarine lantern as an example, where you have a pulsing effect going inwards in the block. for you to make this, you have to make the inwards pulsing frame by frame.

This method applies to versions prior 1.8. This is why the regular glowstone effect, prior 1.8, has more than 10 frames so we can see the pulsing effect on it.

Once 1.8 came out, with the new prismarine blocks, Mojang added a new way to make pulsing effects easier and a way to control how long it takes to shift from one color to the other.

Let's take a quick look at the block called prismarine_rough.png
    prismarine_rough.png

You can see that there's 4 blocks there with different colors right? Now, looking at the prismarine_rough.png.mcmeta we can see how this block magically works! (download below)

There's this weird thing called Frametime where you specify how long it takes for the interpolation to happen, in this case every 300 frames the block changes color and super slowly, slug-like actually!

The interpolate must be set to true so the magic happens as well and then, at the end, where is says frames, that's where it gets slightly tricky.

You have 4 blocks so let's name them by order 0,1,2,3 where 0 corresponds to the first block, 1 corresponds to the second block, 2 to the third block and 3 to the fourth block.

You always have to start from the first block, in this case block 0. Then it's a game of going back and fourth. to make the animation according to what you want to see. In the mcmeta file you can see how the animation for the prismarine was made in order for the block to shift colors in game. Simply take in consideration that the texture on the very top will be the first showing up, like a base for all the other colors that you might want to apply :)

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Best regards,

Attached Files:

3. Ferelwing

Ferelwing Well-Known Member

You can see that there's 4 blocks there with different colors right? Now, looking at the prismarine_rough.png.mcmeta we can see how this block magically works! (download below)

There's this weird thing called Frametime where you specify how long it takes for the interpolation to happen, in this case every 300 frames the block changes color and super slowly, slug-like actually!

The interpolate must be set to true so the magic happens as well and then, at the end, where is says frames, that's where it gets slightly tricky.

You have 4 blocks so let's name them by order 0,1,2,3 where 0 corresponds to the first block, 1 corresponds to the second block, 2 to the third block and 3 to the fourth block.

You always have to start from the first block, in this case block 0. Then it's a game of going back and fourth. to make the animation according to what you want to see. In the mcmeta file you can see how the animation for the prismarine was made in order for the block to shift colors in game. Simply take in consideration that the texture on the very top will be the first showing up, like a base for all the other colors that you might want to apply :)

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Best regards,[/QUOTE]

That helped a LOT! Thank you very much! It works now!
    Valsis likes this.