Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Ghast

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Rashed, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

If there was an "I totally agree with what you're saying button", I'd press it. Especially the last paragraph there. I wasn't ever planning on having one shade of orange. I was just starting to see what it would look like if a color (and variations) were placed onto the ghast template.

The face is shaded, but it can be a little hard to tell. I've been pouring over it for a while today and have revamped it a ton. There's a lot less orange, and I'm using the most recent ghast.zip posted here. I might even do away with the crying on the eyes, or make it an eccentric color (red, neon green?).

And remember (or not), that was just a start. The ghast in the pictures was never the final product, just a start to get some critique and ideas on it. And before your post, I realized how much I didn't like it. Planning on putting up a new picture or two later in the week, but I'm pretty busy atm.

Thanks for the feedback though :)
    Valsis likes this.
  2. DrumMaster4

So, I have my idea from the previous post hidden away, but for the moment, here's a continuation or addition to my original ghast. The eyes, imo, are meh, but I'll work on it. Apparently, I can't let old ideas go...

Pictures! (open)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Missing a pic of the back...darn imgur
  3. Lupis101

Lupis101 New Member

to much orange i say we need to take the default ghast and mess around with it
  4. DrumMaster4

Essentially, it is the default, resized to 64x. Minor changes yes, but the same overall (mostly).
  5. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

I still don't know how to help with more directions for the ghast but I have to be honest with you, I don't like the ghast you're making at the moment.
    I hope I have some ideas to help you with, but one thing for sure, those orange stripes and eyes don't fit at all.
  6. DrumMaster4

Ahead of you. I looked at it the other day and almost threw a hammer through my monitor - what was I thinking with that? I was injecting more red, and I'll see how that turns out. I'm going to fool around with colors later.
  7. Valsis

LOOL
    Try to avoid the same shapes you've been using so far and go beyond that. Don't stick to the same every time you try something new. Challenge your mind and creativity. ;)
  8. DrumMaster4

I'm trying, don't worry. I have quite a few interesting ones, don't worry. I'll try and post a few better Ghast versions by the New Year.
    Valsis likes this.
  9. DrumMaster4

As a joke a few days back, I made a Christmas Themed Ghast. Not even for the pack, I just was feeling a little too Christmas-y. Just imagine seeing this in a hellish environment. Scary!

On Christmas In Hell... (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DISCLAIMER: If you actually want to see this in the pack, you may have issues. :D
    Valsis and Shoeboxam like this.
  10. Valsis

I do have an issue right now and it's my eyes crying because of what you did...how could you?
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  11. DrumMaster4

Sometimes, Val, I just get way too bored.
  12. DrumMaster4

Here's a new idea that challenged my creativity: Other textures on the ghast. Making it look like it broke out of a cage, tailed with iron bars, bricks, etc. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan too. Creativity here I come! And thank goodness for energy bars...

The only issue is that anything in a blank area won't be used. Hence the following picture. It needs work, but it could be cool...maybe ;)

[​IMG]

EDIT 2: I'm stuck on the lower circle by the legs. Took the flame.png, edited and put it in. Now, I don't like it, but I figured I would put it out anyway, to see what the rest of you think and where there could potentially be improvements
    Edit Dos (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Why not remove the entire bottom side of the ghast altogether and make the sides all jaggy? Like a halloween ghost costume on an invisible box.
  14. DrumMaster4

You mean the part where the circle is located?
  15. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

The circle is located on the bottom. Try to remove the bottom?
  16. DrumMaster4

I removed the circle, which meant most of the bottom (thank you, magic eraser!). Personally, it looks a little weird, and I'm not a huge fan. It was a good idea, though.
    New Ghast? (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Valsis

WOW we can see up a ghast's butt!!!

Ok now, seriously, it's extremly weird not having the bottom part of it's body. It makes me feel that the texture is unfinished.
    I suggest you to put back the bottom of the texture, give the Ghast it's butt back!!
  18. DrumMaster4

Mhm, the floating legs are definitely quite weird. And yeah, it definitely does. Props to Shoe for throwing out the idea, but it may not have been executed right. Don't worry, I'm redoing it.
  19. Valsis

Ok so, my first attempt at a texture from scratch for the first time!!
    and no, there's no print screens I'm deeply sorry.

Attached Files:

DrumMaster4, Harry, Shoeboxam and 2 others like this.
  20. DrumMaster4

I like the swirl-ish lines on the Ghast as opposed to the straight ones. Here, I'll test it out and take pictures.
    Dare2Win likes this.
  21. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Screenshots (open)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hmm, not bad at all. There's a little bit of blur around the eyes and mouth of the normal ghast face, and the mouth of the fireballing face could have some border.
    GoldBattle likes this.
  22. Valsis

Considering that it was my first texture ever made from scratch, I'm pretty happy with the result though :p
    About the border around the mouth, I tried and it didn't came out well all the times I tried :(
  23. DrumMaster4

I'd be happy too, Val. And I don't actually know how a mouth border works with this - it doesn't come across as needing one.
  24. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

Here's some edits to val's. ALL the credit goes to her. Added a shadow under the open mouth..looks like it is open now...or so i think. And I also tried to sharpen the eyes.

3 pics:

Attached Files:

94miner likes this.
  25. DrumMaster4

That small shadow under the mouth makes it look a lot better. Great job! I like it.
  26. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Still, eyes and mouth need less blur.
  27. GoldBattle

How would I go about fixing that? I haven't a clue what you mean by blur....anymore details would be helpful.
  28. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Well, the eyes and mouth are blurry around the edges. Look at the first picture, for example.
  29. GoldBattle

Like, it looks grey to me. Are you talking about how it kinda looks faded compared to the fire eyes?
  30. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Here's what I mean:
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.