Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Tutorial Floppy's Unofficial Guide to Texture Reviewing

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Floppygunk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Here are the steps I think should be taken to reviewing your textures, and making sure they look good enough for submission.

1. Is the shading/lighting right? I could write an essay on this. Item light sources are in the upper-left corner. Block light sources should be in the center or above, the texture, but they can also be in the upper-right corner. Shadows go in the opposite direction (except for parts of the texture that are indented). Any part of the object that is 3D at all must have shading and/or highlighting. This means no rotating copied textures, as it could mess up the lighting. Shiny materials have gradients with the lighter part towards the light source. Parts of the texture angled towards the light source should be lighter, while parts angled away should be darker. Parts of the texture that stick out or are in front cast shadows.
    2. Does the overall texture look right? Could anyone look at that stone brick and say, "That's made of stone"? Do the edges look even? Are symmetrical textures really symmetrical (and should they be symmetrical anyway)? Pay attention to any little detail you can find. Perfectionism is your friend here!
      Also, look at the texture on both a black and white background (and any other background you like).
    3. Does the texture look like what it's meant to be? If any Minecraftian can recognise that magma cream from 10 metres away, you're doing this step right.
    4. Does the texture look tangible? Image it in the real world, exactly the same as on your screen. Could you reach out and touch it? Would it have the same texture you want it to? Or would it be like paper (because you didn't add proper shading, naughty you :p )
    5. Check with a good reviewer. Fortunately we have some reviewers with us (Valsis and Sheynx), so all you have to do is pay attention to their advice. And pay good attention, they know what they're talking about! ;)
    Valsis, Sheynx, Ninten_Droid and 3 others like this.
  2. justin_a_

justin_a_ Well-Known Member

So I have been doing a bad thing making all my light sources from the top right :(
    Time to go back and change it all up again... Would have been a good post a couple months ago :p
  3. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Light source is from top right. I think floppy derped.
  4. justin_a_

justin_a_ Well-Known Member

Oh thank god I have been doing it right :D
    Shoeboxam likes this.
  5. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

No, I believe that the lighting goes from the top left... Like this bread:
    [​IMG]

Sorry justin. It doesn't matter too much for blocks though, you don't have to change everything If you've done a lot of textures.
  6. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Well, blocks are lit from top right, items from top left. Look at iron block, for example. Items being lit from top left makes sense though.
  7. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

My god, you're right... Good thing all my block's light sources are from the top. :p I'll change my OP.