Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Archived Custom Colors

Discussion in 'MCPatcher' started by Shoeboxam, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

If it will look like in the first pic, then yes.
  2. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Minor edit to the lightmap, big difference ingame. Nights were too dark.

Attached Files:

3. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Nights weren't bad for me when I used Brightness: 100%. But I always used that, so I guess I never noticed. I guess nights will be even brighter for me now xD
  4. Shoeboxam

I suggest lowering your brightness. Everything looks so much nicer on a lower brightness because the colors actually show through. Also, stop cheating! XD
  5. DrumMaster4

LOL. It's probably on 100% because that's what I did as a noob and just never changed it. It's changed now though.
  6. Shoeboxam

First off, I made a new lightmap for the natural lighting. Sat may still be a bit high.
    lightmap0.png

Secondly, I made some edits to the color.properties.
    Dog collars and mob eggs are added. Portal particle added. Map water color edited. Wools are back to pastel original colors by Floppy.

Attached Files:

7. Shoeboxam

Color.properties was added in 2.4, but my changes to the natural lightmap weren't, mainly because it wasn't balanced enough..

I remade the artificial light map. This is definitely going to be in the new version:
    lightmap0.png
    Main differences are
    -Higher light levels are lighter
    -whiter light on higher levels
    -soft red at the edge
    -edge (1->0) fades smoothly
    -brightness matches default much more closely
    -nightvision redesigned. Natural light unaffected, brightness comes from artificial light
    -nightvision torches are bluish

With the old lightmap any light level below 100% gave a ruddiness to artificial light. Runnning Soartex with this at 50% brightness will be far more natural.

This is definitely worth testing on your own, but here are some pics:
    ezanrki and TarquinsBrutus like this.
  8. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

I noticed in the 1.5.2 update a really diferent light change in the environment that I actually didn't like. It seems like each block has it's own light change according to the light source and where it's located... it's really weird.
  9. Shoeboxam

Screenshot? That's not something this lightmap would affect, I don't think.
  10. Valsis

Here are some examples of what I mean and it doesn't matter in which level the brightness is, I will get the same result but either darker or lighter... nor the smoothness helps either:
    Show Spoiler

EDIT: nevermind, I fixed it -.- derpy me...
  11. Actually, smooth lighting is buggy since 1.5.2, slabs placed on ceilings are ultra-dark again :/

EDIT : @Valsis : Did you make sure Smooth Lighting is set to max?
  12. Valsis

I can't use it in the max level otherwise my eyes get raped... xD
  13. DrumMaster4

OOH, I love the new lightmap. I'm just going to pop it in now.
  14. ezanrki

ezanrki Well-Known Member

Wow this is beautiful, great work! :) Going to use it right now ;)
  15. Shoeboxam

Tweaks to artificial light:
    -Less red
    -More gradual fade

Remade natural light:
    -better balanced with default lightmap
    -made with exact gradients to be perfectly smooth
    -natural light sunset fade at intermediate light levels more colorful
    -based on new artificial light

lightmap0.png
  16. DrumMaster4

Wait, but I liked the reddish tint on the outside. Although it seems to be fine from the pictures.

Screenshot comparison between this one, the redder one, and the current one please?
  17. Spruu

Spruu Well-Known Member

Shoe, I tried out this lightmap. Is it intentional for areas without lighting to be pitch black? I mean completely 100% black. You can't see anything at all, rather than the way it's usually just very dark.
  18. Valsis

@ Spruu do you happen to have smooth light off? if yes, turn it on.
  19. Spruu

Spruu Well-Known Member

No, it's definitely on. Here's what I mean:

[​IMG]

What you don't see is a skeleton in front of me shooting arrows right as that screenshot was taken. :eek:
  20. Shoeboxam

The previous and newer versions both have 000000 along the top row of both the artificial and natural lightmaps. So yes, it's pitch black, but that's nothing new. Upon messing with the default, I see that there is no pitch black, and now that you've pointed it out, I'm thinking I should lessen the fade to a very, very dark grey.
  21. Spruu

Spruu Well-Known Member

Yeah, as long as it's not pitch black as it causes problems. The black is closer than skeletons shooting range so you will often get shot by enemies you can't see at all. Also, I don't think it's quite "realistic" as there should be a faint light projecting on all walls in line of a torch, though very dim.

Of course some caves with no lighting at all it makes sense, but in areas like the image above I think all surfaces should be visible to an extent. I'd rather have feint light in the darkest places than no light where some should be, just from a gameplay perspective so I think the dark grey is the way to go. Thanks. :)
  22. Sheynx

I found that our blocks have no lighting map shading (not that the texttures themselfs) and everything is one color and high brightness. It's kind of the right track, the blocks actually have shadow and light direction and stuff cuz of the lightmap etc so careful and keep going.
  23. Spruu

Spruu Well-Known Member

I also noticed that the lightmap affects underwater, so if it's black you can't make out what's going on at the bottom of the ocean and stuff. Going back to the one that came with 2.4.
  24. Shoeboxam

@Spruu: I was confused when you said this new lightmap was darker than the 2.4 map because I thought the old one was pure black at light level 0... but when I checked the 2.4 one, I realized that top level of artificial light was 090909.. so I replaced the top level with that, then faded in from there on layer two. Bug should be fixed. ;)

lightmap0.png
  25. Sheynx

Why u no screenshots Shoe?
    Valsis likes this.
  26. Valsis

YEAH!!! Why u no screenshots Shoe?!

You used to bug me to show screenies all the time and no you DONT DO THEM!!! get your shtuff straight woman! <3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.