Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Creative Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Shoeboxam, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

With MCPatcher or Optifine we can overwrite the texture on unused metadatas of the planks block, stone bricks block, sandstone block, marble block, and walls. This means there's 30+ new blocks to build with in Soartex!

Soartex Creative Block Guide

In creative mode, open chat (t) and type:
    /give <playername> <BlockID> 1 <Metadata>

Example:
    /give Shoeboxam 5 1 4
    Crates appear in Shoeboxam's inventory.

-MCPatcher or Optifine required
    -MCPatcher required to see blocks rendered correctly in inventory
    -Soartex is required to see these blocks
    --------------------------------

Block Listing
    BlockID:Metadata Usage
    ---------------------------------
    Block ID 5 can burn!
    5:4 Crate
    5:5 Wood Cubes
    5:6 Timber Framing Split
    5:7 Timber Framing Cross
    5:8 Plank Paver
    5:9 Unused
    5:10 Hive
    5:11 Paneling Oak

24:3 Brick Sandstone

24:4 White planks
    24:5 Orange planks
    24:6 Magenta planks
    24:7 Light blue planks
    24:8 Yellow planks
    24:9 Lime Planks
    24:10 Pink planks
    24:11 Gray Planks
    24:12 Light Gray Planks
    24:13 Cyan planks
    24:14 Purple planks
    24:15 Blue planks

5:12 Brown planks
    5:13 Green planks
    5:14 Red planks
    5:15 Black planks

98:4 Brick Flat
    98:5 Brick Green
    98:6 Basalt Paver
    98:7 Brick Shiva
    98:8 Brick Large
    98:9 Sandstone 2x2
    98:10 Ivy Wall
    98:11 Mossy Round
    98:12 Concrete
    98:13 Limestone
    98:14 Stone Paver
    98:15 Rock

155:6 Gift
    155:7 Shiny Glowstone
    155:8 Red Tile
    155:9 Blue Tile
    155:10 Iron Sheet
    155:11 Safe
    155:12 Steel
    155:13 Iron Paver
    155:14 Siding
    155:15 Marble

Walls:
    139:2 Stone
    139:3 Sandstone
    139:4 Stone Brick
    139:5 Clay Brick
    139:6 Quartz
    139:7 Oak Log
    139:8 Snow
    139:9 Obsidian
    139:10 Hardened Clay
    139:11 Blue Wool
    139:12 Brick Green
    139:13 Basalt Paver
    139:14 Iron Block
    139:15 Red Mushroom

If you want anything added or changed, leave a comment. I'm reluctant to change textures because they are used in builds, but we have a few unused slots and a few lackluster textures. Regardless, post pictures, possible new textures and ideas!
  2. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Oooh, Tarquin, I like the second block. It'd look good in my Sinister Nether Builds. The first one is cool too. I'm in the process of making some of my own, which I will post here in due course.

The blocks I'm going to post now are just attempted recolors of blocks we have now, for themed builds or nice aesthetics.

Diamond (open)

Personally, I find this to be the best new colored blocks I made...
    [​IMG]

Glowstone (open)

Yes, the first one is similar to another proposed one, I think.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  3. Shoeboxam

Wow, well a few things. First off, I don't think we should flood this with recolors. Mass recolors increase the pack size and requirements and doesn't add a lot of new uses. I'm happy to add 400+ new blocks as long as those blocks each have creative, thoughtful uses. Obviously, I am ok with some recolors, but fresh content is always preferred...

Second, this only works on a few blocks. After testing nearly all the blocks in the game, I have only found unused metadatas on the four blocks I mentioned in the OP. Torches and rails are a no go.

Just wanted to mention, the unused metadatas inherit the traits of the Block ID. Using higher metadatas of the plank block means the custom block can burn, using higher values of a brick block means it is best mined with a pick and it has a higher blast resistance, using higher values of the wall gives the block the wall block model.

Crate! Like this: http://imgur.com/6RJkRap
  4. Shoeboxam

We can have creative glowstones, they just won't emit light (bummer, I know).

I made a list of ideas:
    Show Spoiler
    Flat planks
    Jukeface
    Mossy round cobble
    Old slab
    Crate
    Timber framing
    Hay bale
    Computer
    Brick Marble/lapis/diamond
    Orig Stone
    Concrete
    Limestone
    Redrock
    Rivet iron
    Steel block
    Leather block
    Marble
    Flat bricks
    Bookshelf alt
    Lapis tile
    Disaster ornate stone brick
    Purple/green glowstone
    Darx wool set?
  5. DrumMaster4

@Shoe - Good, I was hoping you would say that. It probably seemed that I wanted all of them in there, but, in fact, I don't. The main reason I posted a few textures was just so that there could be an option, if they were placed in the pack or there was any interest shown. I didn't want to only put one up and then, if the idea was liked, having that put in if some people didn't like the color. So, basically, I didn't want them all in the pack.
    And I was never too good at creating new textures, so I did this for some possible inspiration. Attempting a new texture now...hopefully...
    That crate looks awesome, by the way, and I'm hoping all those colored planks do too :)

@Tarquins - I'm sort of on the fence about stone slab as a trap door. It's a cool idea, but, personally, I think you should edit the texture, even just a little, so it doesn't look exactly the same (hinges? handle? etc)

@Shoe (second post) - aw, we can't? That's sad, I would've liked them to emit light...Good list too. For the diamond bricks (and the others?), couldn't we just use the diamond bricks from DRPG? Or are you fearing conflict if people use the creative blocks AND the mod?
  6. LMB10

LMB10 Well-Known Member

So, is it just the blocks listed in the OP which can be changed? Want to be sure before I possibly waste time on something that then can't be used.
  7. Shoeboxam

Yes, there are only two models to work with, block or wall. Aside from that, no limitations. Just no mass recolors. XD
    --- merged: Apr 14, 2013 10:16 PM ---
    Correction: Three models. Block, wall and plant.
  8. DrumMaster4

Block or wall, hmm...I can think of some brick block ideas....

Is multicolored wool okay or is it superflous?
  9. DrumMaster4

Shoe, I was looking at your list of ideas before, and I have started two of your ideas: Lapis Block and Mossy Round. As you probably guessed, knowing me, they are meshes of blocks (meaning it's combinations of stuff we have). Let me know what you think, any directions I can take, or general criticism/critique.

Lapis Bricks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mossy Round Cobble
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And I have a third idea I'm finalizing.
    Ninten_Droid and TarquinsBrutus like this.
  10. Shoeboxam

I got a bunch of blocks together... ;)

Attached Files:

11. DrumMaster4

Greenstone top looks awesome! Weeee

Anyhow, I don't think the other moss block you put in looks like Soartex...

But great job otherwise!
  12. Shoeboxam

Place the folder inside this into your CTM folder.

This holds properties files for the blocks shown in my screenshots. Using this as an example, could someone possibly write the CTM files for the colored planks to be at metadata 16-31, such that they match the order of the wool blocks?

The big distinction between these files and normal CTM files is that they have the line metadata=# that isolates the texture to one of the unused metadatas of the notated block ID. I don't understand it, but metadatas over 15 work, which surprises me. I haven't figured that one out yet..

Attached Files:

GoldBattle and TarquinsBrutus like this.
  13. Shoeboxam

Tarquins, I'm going to use that safe, it looks awesome. Great idea.

After further testing, it looks like metadatas above 15 can be in your inventory, but when placed they drop down to their respective metadata of 0-15. This basically means we need to ration the blocks. We can add 12 wood based ones, 13 stone based ones and 11 marble based ones. We can also add 13 new plants and 14 new wall types. That's our limit!

EDIT: And a neat little info tidbit. These blocks will appear correctly in your inventory if you have MCPatcher, not Optifine.
    TarquinsBrutus likes this.
  14. Too bad we are that limited regarding the nature of the blocks and the maximum number of additional textures.
    We should have Etho or Sethbling complain about that so that Mojang adds infinite metadata for every object in the game XD
    (they always fix the stuff Etho & Seth complain about when it comes to redstone)

And yeah, Optifine does have a bunch of shortcomings when it comes to CTM. If you regularly look at what's being said on the Optifine forum, you may have noticed that I'm spamming sp614x, asking him if he can fix the CTM features Optifine still doesn't support XD

The overlay (redcow_overlay.png + snowman_overlay.png), the biome-specific textures and the randomized bookshelves features are not working with Optifine, and sp614x doesn't answer me when I ask him if he planned to fix them.
    I don't know if that's some kind of MCPatcher exclusive content or what, and I know he's a busy guy, but at least he could give an answer (e.g. No I can't do it now, maybe in the future).

Shoe, you seem to know Kahr, do you know if these features are exclusive content?
  15. Er... Shoe, I tested out the folder you gave (/creative), everything works fine but 2 textures : the Safe and Siding.
    Siding is missing, and I don't understand what you've made with the safe.

Instead of having constant textures for top and bottom + random textures for the face and the sides, shouldn't we have the same texture for top/bottom/sides and a random texture for the face?
  16. Shoeboxam

I still haven't finished the siding texture... and the safe had me frustrated. When you place it down, each face has a 1/4 chance to get a door texture. If we lock the face to one side, the face always has to point one direction. This way you could move it around to a few different locations to find a door pointing in the right direction.... I don't like that answer but I'm not sure how to do it better...
  17. Oh, it doesn't work like the furnace/dispenser/dropper which always faces you when you're placing it? Now I understand why you had to configure it like this. That's not convenient I agree :/

PS : I can't wait to see the siding texture :D
  18. Shoeboxam

Yep, the furnace uses four metadatas for the on state and four metadatas on another block ID for the off state, one for each direction. And the metadata is determined on placement, which isn't something we can do via hijacking the unused metadatas.
  19. Disaster86

Disaster86 Minecraft Modder

Creative Blocks Collection (open)
    For those who hate repetition![​IMG]
    .schematic located in .zip download ;)

Attached Files:

TarquinsBrutus and Shoeboxam like this.
  20. Alexander E Simon

Alexander E Simon Well-Known Member

I'd like to see torches that don't look like pencils with glowing erasers. I don't care what they look like in caves/mines, but when I decorate my house with them it would be nice if they were more ornate. Misa has a style that I Iike and several other textures I use have variations of it. The problem is that Soartex is my favorite texture and torches are the only thing standing in the way of it being my personal ideal. By the way, your cobblestone is the best out there and I love your glowstone, as well. It's nice that it is decorative and not just a featureless radiating slab, because I use it as alternative lighting in my houses and it looks great!
  21. DrumMaster4

For creative blocks, torches can be made, but they won't give off light...
  22. Er... I'm not sure we can actually have creative torches... you meant glowstone maybe?
  23. DrumMaster4

No glowstone though, remember?
  24. DrumMaster4

I'm not really sure why I made this, but it looked cool when I visualized it for a possible build. Let me know opinions.

I used the infused ore that Shoe posted in Metallurgy and put lava behind it. I also put it to the lava_flow, so it can look like there's lava flowing inside. Anyhow, here it is.

[​IMG]

Lava Flow (open)

It's huge!
    [​IMG]
    Ninten_Droid and Tudoreleuu like this.
  25. DrumMaster4

It's too bad there aren't more wool metadatas...
  26. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

Shoeboxam likes this.
  27. DrumMaster4

28. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

It«s not an obligation that they should be there, it was simply an idea :)
  29. DrumMaster4

But it was a really good idea!
  30. Gerardito19

Gerardito19 New Member

I like the textures a lot, but what about stairs of all, like the walls from the new blocks, well not for all I don't imagine a "safe stairs"
    but ill post some screenshots of the blocks in the next comment
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.