Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Rashed, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

It's a good start, for sure, but it looks a little cartoony. Also the stem looks to be just one color. It needs depth, shading, texture, whatever you wish to call it
  2. RubikMan

RubikMan Well-Known Member

I knew when I saw first time @redflex1235's crafting table modification that he will put alot of work in his textures and I cannot be more than just excited to see what he will texture next time and I can't complain about him but I think the top part of the lilac needs some improvments and I don't really like that part of a square from the top left branch from the upper part of the plant
  3. redflex1235

redflex1235 Well-Known Member

Was just about to upload the ones with more texture, and I'm glad I saw this
    It is fixed now, THX
    doublePlant_syringa_top.png
    doublePlant_syringa_bottom.png
  4. RubikMan

Thanks @redflex1235 for the pictures and now I want to post a picture of want I wanted. Don't blame me because I am a perfectionist and I want to be even the smallest part like I want. Again, don't blamze me because this picture is a little bit retextured in PAINT and I know that i'm not a good texturer

Attached Files:

5. redflex1235

I don't really understand what you meant by that...
  6. RubikMan

Look at your first picture and look at the second picture and you will see the differences

Attached Files:

7. redflex1235

Oh! I see, I'll get to it
  8. redflex1235

Here you go @RubikMan hope you like it!

Attached Files:

9. DrumMaster4

The flowers have a lot better of a texture now, but I think the stem just needs a bit more. Not too much, but take the burn tool and go right under where the flowers are on the LEFT side. I only say left because the light source comes from the top left / left side so the left side has a few shadows. If you look at the lapis or diamond block, as an example, you'll see that the bottom and left sides are shadowed/burnt.
  10. redflex1235

Yeah I did use the Dodge/Burn tool but i didn't think of the flowers being more ˝outdented˝ (I'm Croatian and English is not my primary language)
    but here it is
  11. redflex1235

Fixed version! The bottom one wasn't tiling very well with the top
  12. redflex1235

Fixed once again! The lowest right branch on the top part wasn't tiling with the bottom branch
    Edit: Forgot to add the bottom texture
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  13. [RANT MODE ON]
    I'm so tired of being on the forum... People are never appreciative, always complaining. If you don't like something, fix it by yourself, but stop saying to others: "It's a no-no", "That's not the Soartex Style", "This is too [insert default here]", especially if you are talking to newbies. For God's sake, you are NOT Soartex Fanver, just a member, whatever title you may have! THAT IS NOT CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, AND NOBODY CARES YOU DON'T LIKE THE TEXTURE, THAT'S WHY NOBODY TOLD YOU : "YOU ARE A GENIUS, YOU DESERVE A MEDAL FOR BEING SO RUDE"!
    That makes me think about these men that, when their wife spent a lot of effort making them a special meal that is not absolutely perfect, comment : "It's not too bad, but I still hate your mother".
    [RANT MODE OFF].

Drum and Valsis, I know you guys spend a lot of effort working on the pack, but please, be gentle with the newbies, even if what they make is horrible, just be gentle, or at least remain silent. You don't need to tell them that you threw up your diner because of their textures, really. My purpose is not to be mean towards you, but it's really annoying.
  14. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

Okay, first of all, we are appreciative of everyone's effort in helping making the pack better, however it's my job to tell to those who texture for the pack what's good or not, after all it's what I am, an Art Director. If you don't appreciate my criticism on what to improve then don't improve it, leave it be but I can guarantee you that I will not touch your work because that's not my job here. My job is to tell you and everyone else what's good, what's bad and what can be improved.

I'm not Soartex Fanver but I'm part of it as Staff and Art Director and either you like it/appreciate it or not, I will continue doing what I've been doing since I got here.

Also, if you don't care about my criticism then I don't quite understand what are you doing here. If it's just to make textures and get your textures in the pack then you can make that and create your own pack with our Textures and put yours in there and keep it for private use BUT don't start with raging at those who review textures here because we want to keep the faithful feel of Soartex Fanver and not something that it's not good enough.

Also if you want to give constructive criticism start by reading your post because none of that is constructive but destructive. Also, don't talk about people being rude when you just were extremely rude to both DrumMaster and I and what we do for the pack.

Oh, by the way, a little bit of respect towards our work would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  15. DrumMaster4

Alright, before I start, let's clear something up. On here, everyone has the right to express their opinions for textures.

EDIT: Put in a spoiler because it's so long...

Response (open)

Let me ask you this: do you want unfinished, unrefined textures? If the answer is yes, well I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not trying to be an ass to anyone who contributes textures. Hell, I love the fact that so many people are contributing textures. And everyone has a right to say "no" to everyone. Art is a tough business, and you need a tough skin. If you can't take comments that aren't "Yes, this is perfect!" then you should find something else to do. Sure, you can't please everyone, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put the best finished product forward. And if you're going to rant towards me and Val, be sure you quote her as well, not just my most recent quotes. Because if you were going to rant about me, take it to a PM or Skype and let me know. It's a waste of space to rant but only quote myself.

And, I'm sorry, am I supposed to soft to new texturers? "Oh, honey, this is a really great start. Great job. Absolutely fantabulous. But there's a small error here, but don't worry, I'll do it because I have nothing else to do. You're getting the credit, I'm just making this small change." I think not, honestly. I'm trying my hardest right now to stay civil with you in this, but I'm having a really hard time...

You're not being constructive. You're ranting, and that's destructive criticism. You're not only completely off-topic here, you're also being extremely rude to myself and Valsis. It's completely uncalled for.

Going backwards a bit: "Nobody cares that you don't like the texture"? Can you re-read that and tell us why this makes sense. If nobody cares that we don't like the texture, why does Valsis have the title she does. Sure I don't have that title, but does that mean I should only post mod textures and do nothing else?

Also, that last line about older men is so off-topic.

And neither Val, myself, nor anyone in this pack is "Soartex Fanver", but we're all here to contribute to the pack in an advantageous way. That means we can express our opinions. If you don't like it, PM us and tell us you don't like how something was phrased or that you're concerned that it may be harsh. It's a waste to come on the forum and full-on rant without even being constructive. If you were going to rant, and have a good rant, it would help to at least say something that you think we could improve on.

No one was as harsh to say we threw up our dinners. So if you're going to go out on a limb, make sure someone actually said something that crazy. If you don't like the criticism people are posting, then either leave or accept it. Again, you won't please everyone, which is why people critique. If you disagree, then you disagree. Quote us and tell us that you disagree and then direct your answer towards the texture maker. We're not forcing anyone to redo textures or change what we want changed...

It would also be nice to put even just a touch of respect towards post. You don't have to do it to me, but you've gotta do it for Val. She has her title for a reason.
    Valsis likes this.
  16. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

@DrumMaster4: What's CIT? I'm just splitting each texture into their layers by hand, for instance, sword into handle, base, left blade, right blade, cross guard, and rain guard. Thanks Wikipedia. And these textures (or more of templates) are able to be recolored easily (for only those like pickaxes, swords, etc.) for mod textures.
  17. DrumMaster4

CIT is "Custom Item Textures". For example, when you get certain enchantments on iron/gold/diamond tools in the newest Soartex version, there are different textures. Try enchanting a diamond sword with Bane of Arthropods in creative, for example. The texture of the sword should change.

But having templates of the swords would be very useful :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.