Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Rashed, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Podzol is very new. It's in today's snapshot. I took the initiative to start a snapshot pack because if stuff gets added next week, there will be way too much to do.

Yep, three new fishes on top of the two already fishes. I'm going to work on the fishes in a bit, just trying to do some of the double bushes.
  2. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Active Member

hm what snapshot are yall talkin bout? :/
  3. redflex1235

redflex1235 Well-Known Member

The one that came out today, 13w36a, to be more precise :)
  4. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

@redflex1235 That Podzol needs improvement. Right now it's simply a recolor of grass to me and with new blocks we need new textures...

Look at this vanilla texture:
    Podzol Vanilla (open)

[​IMG]
    You can see that the sides have different brown color, the grass has an olive color with spots of green, pastel yellow and orange, not mentioning that the sides of the grass are longer than the regular grass (see example below):
    Grass Vanilla (open)

[​IMG]

All this has to be considered when a new texture comes out. A recolor is not the best idea for this particular block since it marks a new biome.
  5. Valsis

I already expressed my opinion on the Podzol and those flowers look way to stiff, they need movement.
    The compact ice could have a little bit more brightness in some spots because it seems like it's a one color block at the moment in my screen.
  6. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Glad to see your post!

Watch out for tiling errors on that podzol by the way. When placed in a larger pattern, it shouldn't have clear lines at the edges of blocks. This can be fixed via offsetting the overlaid texture layers by half (Shift-CTRL-O>"Offset by X/2..."), and cleaning up the lines.
    dirt_podzol_top.png

One possible way to clean up these lines is to take an eraser and delete the parts that don't tile. Then you can use the same brushes you used to make the rest of the texture on the areas you deleted. Keep in mind large details cause very noticeable tiling patterns, so try to reduce those spots to make the end result more natural.

The last big thing, is that when we have the option to inject new texture to soartex we should take advantage! And make new texture! It's definitely possible to make a new, interesting base texture using the brushes, dynamics and patient dodge/burning, then add the coloring and detailing you've already made to it. When it comes to creating new base texture, again, keep in mind offsetting by half and creating new texture in the creases makes it tile seamlessly. Woot Redflex!
    DrumMaster4 and GoldBattle like this.
  7. DrumMaster4

Yeah, I saw that (but hadn't seen your post until just now). Flowers, on some I agree with you. I may even try animating them, but they'd need to not be as stiff to start.

As for the ice, okay, I'll take a look. To me personally it doesn't look like a block of color, but as everyone's is different I have to take that into consideration. I just don't want to lose texture by brightening so I have to take a level of care when I go to make it lighter.
  8. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Check out Colors>Curves...
    Curve the levels channel up based on the histogram in the back!
  9. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Active Member

thx watched a video, 1.7 gonna be great and, cause the flowers of you guys are the best, mc gonna be it, too :D
  10. redflex1235

Fixed podzol
    • no tiling error on the top
    • longer sides
    dirt_podzol_top.png dirt_podzol_side.png
  11. redflex1235

Snapshot flowers anyone?
    flower_tulip_red.png flower_tulip_orange.png flower_tulip_pink.png flower_tulip_white.png flower_allium.png flower_oxeye_daisy.png
    The daisy is from a previous post, Drummaster, i think..., the four different colored flowers are supposed to be tulips :rolleyes:
    artdude543 likes this.
  12. RubikMan

RubikMan Well-Known Member

we need to texture paeonia or something like that and the sunflowers and the fishes and we are pretty mush done ;)
  13. DrumMaster4

I almost feel like the tulips (first four) need to have more of a leaf on them. In default the leaves are bigger, and here they seem wimpy. So either add a leaf or make a leaf bigger...
  14. Valsis

@redflex1235 I feel that my opinion is again being ignored ... I'll quote myself since I'm getting a bit tired of repeating myself over the past few pages over two diferent subjects...
    your first podzol post (open)

My previous comment on your texture. Please read it and try to understand what I'm saying, I would like to avoid repeating myself for another page ;)
    my answer to your post (open)

@redflex1235 That Podzol needs improvement. Right now it's simply a recolor of grass to me and with new blocks we need new textures...

Look at this vanilla texture:
    Podzol Vanilla (open)

[​IMG]
    You can see that the sides have different brown color, the grass has an olive color with spots of green, pastel yellow and orange, not mentioning that the sides of the grass are longer than the regular grass (see example below):
    Grass Vanilla (open)

[​IMG]

All this has to be considered when a new texture comes out. A recolor is not the best idea for this particular block since it marks a new biome.[/quote]
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  15. Valsis

Like I said previously to Drum, The flowers need movement, they seem a green stick with petals on the top.

Like Drum said, the tulips have bigger leaves, which means those need big leaves plus the flow feel on the stem.

Here's the link for information on the tulip. PLEASE consult them before starting making posts.
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:White_Tulip.png
  16. DrumMaster4

Okay, this might be long, but I decided it would be helpful for you (redflex), and maybe others who are just picking up texturing.

It's very important to have a clean workspace so to speak when you texture. While it is a little different depending on whether you use GIMP or Photoshop, this principle still applies. Say I'm going to texture the new podzol, here's how I would set up my workspace:

Podzol Workspace Overview (open)

[​IMG]

As you can see, the Podzol file has nothing yet. That's because I haven't started working on it yet. You notice there are three tabs though: "Podzol Soartex", "Podzol Default", "Grass Soartex".

Soartex Podzol is there because that's where the texture will go.

Default Podzol is there because we mustn't stray from a default texture. While shapes and exact color placement will vary, if our Podzol looks like Mycelium, something is wrong.

Soartex Grass is there because Podzol is a grass-like texture. While we will not recolor grass, it is a grass-like texture so it will need to be the slightest bit similar. It needs a grass feel, not a stone feel or a lava feel.

You can also see I've used layers, especially for Podzol. I break them down below. Note that I start from the top layer displayed.

Podzol Soartex Layers (open)

1. Decoration - this will be the layer where the moss and dried leaves are placed. That way they can be easily edited without disrupting the grass itself
    2. Grass Color - Some variation. The grass can't be all the same green/brown. Add some variation of the same and other color
    3. Base Color - The original color of the Podzol (you decide, some green or brown)

In the Soartex Grass, I also have a second layer, which I called "Podzol Ideas". I don't want to immediately start on the Podzol, and because I copy-pasted the actual grass texture, I don't have to worry about messing up. Basically the Soartex Grass is just meant as a testing palette, where the Soartex Podzol starts off mainly being the manifestation and culmination of your ideas.

Tl;dr - Clean workspace is good workspace for texturing.
    Valsis likes this.
  17. redflex1235

Thanks so much to all of you! Just so you know I started texturing just a while ago, last month, to be more precise and I appreciate your help, but please consider that i just started using GIMP and I don't know much about it. Shoe is helping me through Skype, so... I'm getting better. I'm still not a good texturer but I try my best :).
  18. redflex1235

It's much easier to make it 16x16 but Soartex is 64x64 so its four times harder (for me atleast) :(
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  19. redflex1235

As i said in my previous post I don't know much about texturing from scratch, but I made the double grass and fern, I know you guys can make a lot better versions, but here are mine.
    doublePlant_grass_top.png doublePlant_fern_top.png
    doublePlant_grass_bottom.png doublePlant_fern_bottom.png
    Screenshot:
    2013-09-07_14.16.41.png
  20. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

21. redflex1235

I did strech it, cause i don't really know how to make textures from scratch.
  22. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

I see... Let me have a try...
  23. redflex1235

Have a go at it!
  24. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

I'm busy doing a dagger for the lols by modifying an iron sword.

It's next up on my list. ;)

The dagger isn't all that I want to do with the iron sword. Just wait a while...
  25. RubikMan

In 1.7 we will have rose bush wich is 2 blocks tall and I wanted to ask if you can make the top with our rose texture
  26. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Well-Known Member

These were ripped off from the Biomes_O_Plenty mod and others like them.
  27. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Well-Known Member

Here is an alt if you find the grass too silvery I tried as well. I was wondering if any others came up with anything for the flowers? The bush was made by editing it slightly but credits should really go to the maker of the Biomes_O_Plenty mod maker.
  28. DrumMaster4

Alright, my turn.

64x is a little harder because it's 4 times more pixels, but that means you can make it smoother, crisper, and more defined with all those pixels.

Surprisingly, the leftmost grass doesn't look terrible for being stretched. The second one, well, let's not talk about it. Stretching a texture here is a no-go, and the doubled plants have more of a texture than just a stretched texture.

It's never too late to try! Even if you just take the grass and scale it up a bit (by hand, not just using "Resize") you're still texturing a bit and learning new things about what looks good and what doesn't.

Working with some of that new CIT stuff, there? Or just doing it because you feel like it?

Actually the entire thing needs to be remade. With the current rose bush at the bottom (as an example), it would look dreadful with just a new top. Needs an entirely new texture.

Well seeing as how many mods are out there (and how ExtraBiomesXL, Biomes O'Plenty, and other biome mods try to add things from the real world), it's not surprising they look like they are from some other mods. The tulips I am going to fool around with in terms of the leaves, but the other flowers need movement. The bushes I'm iffy about because I think a lot of them shouldn't be bushes - just two or three flowers per block (not in bush form). Also, the sunflower stem doesn't match up: one part is fatter than the other.
    The doublePlant_grass_top needs to be taller IMO. We can't just take these textures from the mod and through them in-game willy nilly because we like it. I think there needs to be a bit more separation of the two. Even if it's just a minor edit/addition/deletion, it needs to be there.

That could be cool as a custom texture. If you know how in 2.6 Shoe made some of the glass CTM, others not, and certain biomes have different glass, you'll know what I'm talking about. If there was a very technical biome that was just a one block border of lakes and oceans, I'd say that could be the grass texture. But as a standalone, cattails as grass seems a little weird.
    Valsis likes this.
  29. redflex1235

Those are amazing! Why didn't i get the idea to go look in mods?!?! Anyways here is my LILAC
    doublePlant_syringa_top.png
    doublePlant_syringa_bottom.png
    Edit: My first made from scratch texture/s
    Edit 2: The top looked kinda weird in one part
    Here's the remake
    doublePlant_syringa_top.png
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    randomguy404 likes this.
  30. RubikMan

can someone make a video with all the new Soartex textures? Because I want to see how they will look ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.