Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Rashed, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

Please post you versions of this file here, and let the community review and assess it. We give constructive criticism, don't feel bad if someone doesn't like it!
    Texture Details:​
    • All block textures
    • Completed by Soar and many others.
      [Shoe] I'm working on a full credits list. 4/15/13
    Ninten_Droid likes this.
  2. n0ugat

n0ugat Prominent Member

Hi together,

however there are many different textures in the customizer, I still don't like some of them!
    I know everybody has his own opinion and liking...

...but I thought every texture I modify or create for the version of the Soartex TexturePack I'm using, should I share with you!

These are my "new" textures:

StoneBricks:
    Bricks.png
    This is a compromise between the two versions that are already aviable! Not 2, not 8 -> 4.
    I'm going to add the mossy and crashed one, if there is any interest!

ClayBricks:
    BricksClay.png
    Same here, everything has to harmonize...

Gravel:
    gravel.png
    This is a slightly finer version of the gravel and not as dark as the original!

Please give me some feedback!

Greeting
    n0ugat
    Sebastian, Ninten_Droid and REDX36 like this.
  3. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

I love all of these! Can you post the mossy and cracked versions of the brick?
    n0ugat likes this.
  4. Varsias

Varsias Prominent Member

These textures look great! I especially like your clay bricks, and the gravel looks interesting, too. I will try them out ingame asap. Well done. :)
    By request, here are all of my terrain textures I have created so far that got probably deleted in the recent trouble with the forums:

cobble.png mossycobble.png stonebricks.png crackedstonebricks.png crackedstonebrick.png mossystonebrick.png ornatestonebricks.png netherbrick.png netherbricksdark.png netherwarts.png
  5. n0ugat

n0ugat Prominent Member

Alright thanks, I'm going to add the mossy and cracked versions...but the main also has to get an update...
    Could take a day, because I'm on a trip tomorrow...

Everybody alright with the fact that the ClayBrick only has ONE color? The main one has 2 different colors.
    REDX36 likes this.
  6. REDX36

REDX36 Time-Capsule Stowaway Retired Staff

Yeah, try to vary the tints of orange/red.
  7. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

Nice textures!
    But I like Soars better
    These can be secondaries :)
    REDX36 likes this.
  8. Lologarithm

Lologarithm Member

Hi!
    I recently DLed the Soartext fanver and liked it but there were a few things that bothered me so I have been changing the textures a little and thought I would share with the community:

I like my diamond block with a little more contrast so that it looks like you have something really shiney :)
    diamondblock.png

I really like having some purple in the obsidian to keep it closer to the stock terrain:
    Obsidian.png
    With that in mind here is the modified enchanting table:
    Enchanting Table.png
    I really like a darker blue on lapis with a little more "ornateness" to the block.
    LapisBlock.png
    Again, the netherrack needed some more color to more closely match the standard pack (I like it to be close because I play SMP where others dont usually use textures).
    Netherrack.png

Straight line of redstone make it easier to read complex redstone systems :)
    redstone_wire.png
    It REALLY bothered my that the Smooth Sandstone Block had bricks in it, so I changed it to be more smooth and like the stock terrain.
    SmoothSandstone.png

Hope you guys like these!
  9. REDX36

Diamond: Nice
    Obsidian, For some reason the people here don't like that, they keep a black obsidian.
    Enchant table: ^
    Lapis: I already like the tiled lapis better.
    Netherrack: Okay
    Redstone: okay
    Sandstone: like the bricks alot better.

Remeber, we don't have/want to stay too close to the vanilla/stock textures.
  10. Shoeboxam

There was another purple obsidian done by someone else ~8 months ago. We should compare the two purple obsidians and put one up as an alt. Have you seen the tiled lapis block by Darx? I agree, the sandstone glyphs need more work, but I don't think that is an improvement over what we have now. Netherrack... not sure, can I see a screenshot? We already have a redstone wire that is straight, it's meant to solve the very problem you were having. It should be up on the customizer already.
  11. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

Diamond: Not bad as a secondary
    Obsidian: Nice
    Enchant table: Nice
    Lapis: I like the tiled lapis better, but this is a nice secondary (better than my attempt months ago....)
    Netherrack: Great!
    Redstone: Good
    Sandstone: I don't like those that much...
  12. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Where are the screen shots guys? I need scree nshots to fully review so please provide them. :)

A 3*3 at least of them would be highly appreciated or anything that could show me the tilling of those blocks in-game.

Would like to tell you that I liked most of your textures and I believe, if you follow my suggestions, they could get in the pack. Now, for some feedback:

NOugat:
    Stone Bricks: Work a bit on the shading of the cracks and in overal shading.
    Clay Bricks: That thing in their middle looks silly. It's monotone, old looking. Try a more fitting color.
    Gravel: Ok but it has a patch in the middle that, because is shaded somehow, has depth and stands out.

Varsias:
    1. Need lighting and shading on the block itself. This applies to all your blocks.
    The shading done so far on the cracks and bricks is okay.
    2. I don't think that is going to tile too well with the bricks that stand out like that.
    3, 4. No. Either get little bits of the breaking animation and scatter in on the block or ask for someone to do it. Your cracked effect is too much.
    5. Good but try to make the vines get stuck int he cracks (burn tool them just a bit) and even make some portions of the vine look like is getting out or into the stone.
    6. Because of the shading on the entire block (appreciating the effort) I don't know how well it will tille and look good because of the dark corners. The middle stone has no depth though.
    7. Ok.
    8. Way too dark. Can I get an even lighter version? On my PC, if I go into a fortress it's all so dark...
  13. Lologarithm

Lologarithm Member

I know but I prefer close to stock textures because it lets me see more closely what people using the stock pack see when they look at my stuff. It is nice to have that when on a server that doesn't have a standard texture pack.

I simply shared them here in case anyone else liked it better :)

Also, I redid sand because I thought it had too little texture. Honestly you can barely tell the difference so it might not even be worth using as an alternate but as this is a community made pack I figured I should share:
    sand.png
  14. REDX36

Still, we aren't a faithful pack.

Nice sand btw.
  15. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

Nice sand!
  16. Sheynx

Oh, I missed you at reviewing Lologaritgm. There you go:

Diamond Block: Needs the outline removed. You could work some more on the block too. It may be too dark now and less shiny.
    Obsidian Block: I believe that looks more deep blue than purple. We had a purple alternative somewhere.
    Enchant. Table: The right side has a lighter edge. Black it up.
    Lapis Block: That just looks sick. :) Just a bit of work on the edges. Donno what, to make sure it fits with other blocks.
    Netherrack: No!
    Redstone line: I don't know how would that look with the deep color of red...
    Sandstone: No!
    Sand: Need a screenshot for that. A very posible No though...
    I need screen shots. Not for the netherrack or sandstone (which I won't approve). Don't think I'll approve that obsidian either.
    Would like to see you considering my suggestions. :)

Edit:
    Soar49 keept somewhat close to the vanilla (except for the awesome graphics)...I fully intend not to let this pack go off track.
  17. Lologarithm

Lologarithm Member

Diamond Block: Not sure exactly if this is what you want. My goal was to add a little more color into the existing diamond block, this rework is just the one i posted before without the border and lightened a tiny bit.
    diamondblock.png
    Obsidian: I dunno, maybe my monitor is bad, looks purple to me :)

Table Fixed:
    Enchanting Table.png

Lapis: Again, not sure exactly what you wanted,I just cleaned up the border a little bit. Hopefully this is what you wanted:
    LapisBlock.png
    Here is screenshot of lapis in game:
    lapis_shot.png

Screenshot of sand:
    sand_shot.png
    Ninten_Droid likes this.
  18. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

Nice
    That's a lot better!
  19. Sheynx

I still don't like the sand. Looks like blured yellow cream O-o I'd go crazy playing with it. Sorry.
    REDX36 likes this.
  20. Animo

Animo Prominent Member

I like Lapis Block very!
    It is a nifty pattern.
    Sheynx likes this.
  21. Darx

Darx Arabesque

We really need a new netherrack wich fits soartex and doesnt make me sit near pc with this :confused: face each time i enter the nether. So.. nethercobble for ya guys!

nthrck.png

http://imgur.com/a/7xSF6
  22. Varsias

Varsias Prominent Member

Thanks for the review Sheynx, you gave very constructive critique. I will try to follow your suggestions, but I'll have very little time for texturing in the next weeks, so that might not happen so soon :-( . I'm focused on finishing my iron golem texture right now, I just re-posted the old textures in case some of them got lost.

@Lologarithm: That pattern on the lapis looks interesting, but the thing in the middle looks a lot like the imprint of a fan, which is a little bit weird.
  23. Ninten_Droid

Ninten_Droid Super Omega Ultra Member

We need a COMPLETLY new netherrack texture. Nether cobble makes the nether feel too flat and stuff :confused:
  24. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

I agree. And Soar's is too smooth for such an evil place
  25. Shoeboxam

I should post the tweaked version of the nether brick I've been distributing for ages now. I took the brick by kurtextrem and made it a little brighter. That is all.
    94miner and Sheynx like this.
  26. Shoeboxam

Here is the nether brick I mentioned in the last post.
    netherbrick.png
    Screenshots (open)
    Without light:
    [​IMG]
    With light:
    [​IMG]

Here is some new nether wart:
    netherwart.png
    Screenshots (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Raflix, REDX36, Animo and 1 other person like this.
  27. Sheynx

Shoe, lighting on the blocks. You have none.

Also, why is the smaller version of the netherwart darker than the grown one :confused: Besides, that red looks awful. :( I like the shape though.
  28. Animo

Animo Prominent Member

New nether wart!
    I like this.
    But, it should increase the color change.
    It is orange.
    Or black.
    I want to see it is black.
    Sheynx likes this.
  29. Ninten_Droid

Ninten_Droid Super Omega Ultra Member

But I like the new netherwart!!!!!! Sheynx, you should at least be happy that someone finally made a netherwart that blends with the pack!
  30. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

... Ninten, please tell me you're trolling...

That nether wart is great! I agree with Sheynx, it needs some shading and a bit of recoloration.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.