Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Biomes O' Plenty

Discussion in 'Modded Support' started by Luiz Diego Garcia, Jan 24, 2013.

1. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

It looks like close to all of them.
  2. Drelge

Drelge Member

I want to do the missing ones, so I can test the pack.
  3. GoldBattle

Well the best way to make a texture is to first get the default and then go from there. So you can find them in you mod .jar or .zip. Just poke around and find them. The biome o plenty textures are all in "/textures/". Once you have the originals you can download the soartex files from here:
    http://files.soartex.net/archives/MC 1.5.x/mods/

Then you can compare and figure out what the difference is. If there are a lot of files, you could look into using this compare program to get exactly what files need to be done. Then once you figure out a file that you want to make/edit just open it up in you program of choice. Feel free to ask questions if i'm not clear, or didn't answer your question in the first place.
  4. Drelge

Drelge Member

[​IMG]

Hows this for Algae? Im new to texturing, so sorry if it looks rough.
  5. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Awesome, glad you're here Drelge. The texture files used in minecraft are .png files, so be careful to save to that file format. You're also going to need to be able to save with transparency, so if you're using Paint, you'll want to upgrade to a more powerful graphics program like Gimp or Paint.net (both are free). I happen to use Gimp, so I give directions for Gimp. :p

Down to the meat!
    That texture you posted has a white background, so there would be a white background behind your texture in game. To fix this, first you need to add an alpha layer to your image so that it supports clear pixels. Layer>Transparency>Add Alpha Layer
    Now to actually remove the white: Layer>Transparency>Color to Alpha
    This results in this texture:
    algae.png
    The problem you're going to run into now is that mincraft doesn't support semitransparency. We're limited to completely solid pixels and completely clear pixels, so any pixel that is even faintly colored will appear really strong ingame.

Minecraft has a weird catch, you can't have semitransparent pixels. I just added a layer mask (right click layer>Add Layer Mask>Layer's Alpha Channel) and increased the contrast of the layer mask so that any pixel beneath 50% opacity is removed altogether. Here is my result:
    algae.png

Still may need a little tweaking but it's compatible with Minecraft and will render correctly.

I grabbed a pic of all three stages, with your original post on the left, then with the white removed, then with the semitransparency removed.
    Show Spoiler
    2013-07-28_16.12.05.png

I'm just giving friendly tips, I hope this helps you. ;)
    GoldBattle likes this.
  6. Drelge

Drelge Member

I used Paint.net for that one. I switch between Gimp and Paint.net if I have to.
  7. Drelge

Drelge Member

Hows that look?

Attached Files:

Shoeboxam and GoldBattle like this.
  8. Shoeboxam

Oh yeah, that's a ton better. :D
  9. GoldBattle

Are you testing these ingame? It is looking a lot better, but the big question is if it will look good ingame. For most textures you want to have it so that if there is a bunch next to each other they look good, this is what i think is called the "tiling" of a texture. Great work! I would love to see a screenshot if you can, it is definitely improving.
  10. Drelge

Drelge Member

Atm, I wanted you guys to test them. What may look good for me, might not look good for you. You know what I mean? Also, Im too lazy to see them in game atm.

Heres two more!

Attached Files:

11. 94miner

94miner Moderator

So that will reload the textures?
  12. Spruu

Spruu Well-Known Member

Yep. There's a lot of lesser known controls in the game you can find here:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Controls

But that's really the only one that relates to texturing.
    GoldBattle likes this.
  13. Alexander E Simon

Alexander E Simon Well-Known Member

How do I use the texture pack for this mod that's on the file server? I assumed I'd just drop it in my texture pack folder and use it like any other pack, but I get vanilla when I fire it up. There are also zip files there for several other mods I use that I would love to have. Is there a way to combine them all into a single pack? Sorry, noob on this topic. I didn't think anyone was even working on textures for these modes...

Update: Okay, figured out the Mystcraft one, but that was easy. There was only a single folder for the whole mod. Biomes 'O Plenty has several folders, many of which overlap in content with the base Soartex. I looked at some of the overlapping textures and they look completely different. I'm not sure where to go with this one.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  14. Shoeboxam

@Drelge: I look forward to screenshots! :p I'll get BoP installed once I finish up this update to vanilla in a few days.

@Spruu: F3+H is helpful for CTM texturing based on metadata! (i.e. creative blocks)

@Alexander: Regular contributors get access to a Github texture repo that is synced with files.soartex.net/mods. Those zip files can be dragged into your texture pack manually or added by the mod patcher. The mod patcher is listed on the downloads page.

About the overlapping textures: Soartex grass in the main pack is pre-colored, so it doesn't support mods correctly. I added older desaturated versions of these textures by Soar49 to BoP and XBXL. This way the main textures are overwritten with compatible greyscale versions when either of those mods are installed.
  15. Alexander E Simon

Alexander E Simon Well-Known Member

If I use the patcher, am I getting the most up to date versions of the mod textures or do I need access to this contributor's repo? If not, what constitutes a "regular contributor", and how do I become one? Also, do you know how complete the Biomes 'O Plenty textures are? I just used the patcher to add BOP, but most of the mod-specific textures (plants, mainly) appear to be vanilla still. I was adding the modded textures to my texture pack zip file manually before, so I wasn't sure I was doing it right, but the patcher should fix everything correctly, shouldn't it? (I started with a clean texture pack before I patched.)? Do you have an example of a BOP-specific texture that should be patched in the pack so that I can see if I can locate it in the world to verify? Maybe I'm just coming across textures that haven't been completed yet by coincidence.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  16. Drelge

Drelge Member

Im still working on my plants. Been at work mostly. Trying to get textures done. Just gonna do the plants for now.
    Tips?

Attached Files:

GoldBattle likes this.
  17. Drelge

Drelge Member

Some of these, I looked up in googled in 64x64 images. To get an idea. The Blue milk and anemoneI made by hand, the bones were altered from the original mod.
  18. Shoeboxam

Loving the bluemilk and anemone! All your work is in the patcher.
  19. krwminer

krwminer Well-Known Member

Drelge,

I was really happy to see someone was working hard on this mod again.

When you get to it. The current textures for the ashblock and ashstone do not work well. The ashblock has a beveled edge which looks horrible since it is used in the landscape. The ashstone is the same color as ashblock, which also does not look very good since they are placed together in the landscape. Compare them to the original, they are distinct from one another.

I would love to help, but I have absolutely no artistic talent. I would be glad to help in any other way. (For instance, getting some of the mods into 1.6 format. I have already ported this mods textures to work in 1.6 for myself.)

Thanks!
  20. Shoeboxam

@krwminer: I'd be interested in incorporating your port. We're starting to organize 1.6 mod support.
  21. krwminer

No problem. I will send you what I have when I get home from work.
  22. krwminer

Drelge,

These look awesome. I integrated them into my 1.6 pack and I am looking around.

One more thing I noticed, the amethyst ore holystone does not match the surrounding holystone.

General question:

I get random "green" patches of grass with Optifine. Is that a bug? I tried all the settings I could think of. I have no idea how to fix it so it looks like it does without Optifine.

Without Optine:
    No-Optifine.jpg

With Optifine:
    Optifine.jpg
  23. krwminer

Shoe,

How do you want me to do this. Just zip it up and upload it?

There were three main changes I made for 1.6.
    • The "mods" directory just gets renamed to "assets"
    • "BiomeOPlenty" directory is now all lowercase "biomesoplenty"
    • The ".txt" files gets a slight change in format and renamed to ".png.mcmeta". Also where a .txt file might from 0-31 or 0-32 without a problem, the .mcmeta file should be 0-31 or it gets rejected.
  24. GoldBattle

Yep, if you just zip it up in its 1.6 compatible condition, we can then take that and put it live in the 1.6 repo.
  25. Drelge

Drelge Member

That could be Biome specific. Also, if I need to, Ill make adjustments to the Amethyst ore. And the Ash. And the Ash stone.
  26. Drelge

Drelge Member

You will need to check what biome you are in via F3, in those spots. It could be the river biome you are in.
  27. krwminer

I did figure it out. It was a CTM setting for tall grass. I missed copying over the grayscale grass from 1.5.2.

As a small side project, I noticed the grayscale grass I copied over only had 2 different sizes for 5 slots. The colored one had 5 different sizes. It might be better to make the colored ones grayscale and match the levels of grayscale grass, but I do not know how to do that.

Anyway, here is the zip I have that works with 1.6, that should be up to date as of your last post.

Attached Files:

28. Drelge

Drelge Member

Nice. Now if we can get the rest of it done, including armor, we will be golden! Im finishing up the last of the plants.
  29. krwminer

I look forward to it. I couple more observations if you do not mind.

The algae / moss comes out a bit to square.
    The mud looks good, but as someone warned earlier, it does not repeat well, (you can see a faint grid).
    The daisy might want to be centered more in the texture, it looks a little off at certain angles.
    The ashblock / ashstone in my zip file is my hack job of getting them closer to the original.
    Ferns should be grayscale and the CTM ferns should be made greyscale also and added to the mod.

I still have a lot to explore, you have created so many new things. I like to look at them in there natural setting.

Let me know if my ramblings are useful. If not, I will be quiet.
    GoldBattle likes this.
  30. Drelge

Drelge Member

Heres the one's I finished so far. Some of them may need tweaking.

algae.png aloe.png anemone.png bamboo.png bamboothatching.png barley.png berrybush.png bluemilk.png bones_large.png bones_medium.png bones_small.png bush.png cattail.png cattailtop.png cloverleaf.png daisy.png dandelion.png deadbloom.png deadgrass.png desertgrass.png desertsprouts.png glowflower.png glowshroom.png holybrick.png holycobble.png holydirt.png holygrass_side.png holygrass_top.png holystone.png ivy.png kelp.png cattailbottom.png longgrass1.png longgrass2.png longgrass3.png moss.png mud.png mudbrick.png violet.png wildcarrot.png sapling_maple.png
    [Shoe] Switched all attachments to full images for mass downloading
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013