Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Armor

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Shoeboxam, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

Placeholder post. Armor would be nice. Sorry Rashed!

root/armor
  2. HereNowIT

HereNowIT New Member

Sorry if its the wrong place to ask, but what are you looking for style-wise for the armor retextures? Are you looking for more of a cleaned up and sleek looking version of default? Or would you like Soartex to differentiate more than that? Just getting some ideas in my head for what you all would think would mesh with the pack more. I would like to help tackle this since school is ending soon for me and will have more free time on my hands on a daily basis :D
  3. Shoeboxam

Sweet! I like the sound of this! Ok, so we are currently using the armor from DefScape (with permission), and I'm not sure if he really is OK with us using it. It's a long story, if you want me to explain, I will. Anyways, you can take inspiration from his, but feel free to embellish on it and make it how you think would look best. Having them blend with the other soartex textures is a must, too. I'm not saying you need to sample, copying over pieces of textures here and there, I'm saying that as long as it looks like it matches or fits in with soartex, I'm happy. The rest of Soartex really doesn't pay homage to the default texture pack, we are totally different.

In summary, what I'm hoping for is something that looks like it belongs in soartex and the rest is 110% completely up to you. I don't want to cramp your style with any constraints. :)

EDIT: One thing though, be sure to match the diamond color on the diamond armor to the diamond block. No green armor!
    HereNowIT likes this.
  4. Disaster86

Disaster86 Minecraft Modder

My plans were as follows;

Default: (clean indicates absence of minor detail)
    leather - textured
    iron - clean
    gold - clean
    diamond - clean

Alternates: (if so desired)
    Leather-
    Santa Claus
    Leather Jacket & Biker Helmet
    Iron-
    Roman Centurion Knight
    Templar Knight
    Gold-
    Monarch Attire (King's Robes etc.)
    Elven
    Diamond-
    Rough-Textured
    ~something imaginative~
    Ginja, Jack and HereNowIT like this.
  5. REDX36

REDX36 Time-Capsule Stowaway Retired Staff

I would rather that gold be fancy and iron be studded.
  6. Disaster86

Best not make armour that doesn't fit the crafting recipe unless it's desired to be an alternate.
  7. REDX36

I mean, gold resembles the gold block and iron resembles the iron block, gold has fancy thingies and iron has studs.
  8. HereNowIT

HereNowIT New Member

Great ideas. I like that alt ideas a lot!

Maybe smooth textures for the gold/iron/diamond, and alt gold can have inlays and molding, alt Iron has a more riveted look?

Does this mean it was something you were already working on Disaster? I can focus on something else if so, or just keep on if you would like the additional help. Was going to be getting some work started on this after I got home from the day job.
  9. Disaster86

No I wasn't working on it, I just plan everything.
    Literally everything.
  10. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

I have a great and already approved set of helmets and chestplates from the old-old site. It would be great if someone could make pants and boots!
  11. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Ap...proved? You? Which?
  12. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

:( I'm offended (not really :p )
    It was a long time ago in like December, probably before you came along into Soartex
  13. Sheynx

I donno if I was here before December or not but I saw some of your attempts at armour. Spare me. *shudders*
  14. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

You just happen to be lucky as they're on my old HDD at the moment....
    I'll get them this week though :p
    --- merged: Jun 12, 2012 4:08 AM ---
    Or maybe you're not so lucky...
    Here they are, discovered on my imgur!
    Leather:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chain:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Iron:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Diamond:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking back, I say "ugh, those need a few fixes..." The chestplate has some weird blob on it...
    But I still think they're nice :D
  15. Sheynx

Do I really have to repeat myself? Spare me!

I could go on listing your textures flaws (bad coloring, stray pixel on the chest, texture re-usage, bad edges and overall rendering, parts look bigger on one side etc) but, *looking back, I say,* no way.
    I wonder if armour eye sockets affect vision. Don't think that is the case but if it would do that be...then we would hug trees all day.
  16. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Textured the current diamond armor (temporary):
    Textures (open)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG]
  17. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

Very nice Floppy
  18. Sheynx

That armour if Defscape's? If yes, hands off. We don't have permission.

If it is our then: Fill the lower part of the shirt, work on how the texture looks on the shirt and pants.
  19. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

Humph, is not ours.

We'd better get started making our own then...
  20. Shoeboxam

How about some iron armor? I still have a ton of work to do to kill flickering, add shading to differentiate different sides of the body, clean up certain spots, etc, but I think this is a great start! I made the helmet into two layers of textures, by the way. On the left is an inner layer and right is an outer layer.
    Show Spoiler
    Half done, maybe? I am way open to suggestion/ criticism.
    iron_1.png iron_2.png
  21. Rashed

Rashed Administrator

Nice :)
    Too tired to any faults in it ATM....
    May see something later today
  22. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

A screenshot always helps.

That outer layer is probably unnecessary, and you might have too many nails there. The helmet could have a more detailed shape (but not too detailed). Other than that, it's looking good!
  23. Shoeboxam

Ok, I have ironed out all the kinks and fine details to kill flickering, added shading, added a few neat tweaks and removed quite a few rivets as well as tinkered to madness.
    You guys need to test this! I am very happy with it! Sorry, no screenshots yet...
    iron_1.png iron_2.png

EDIT: Well, I think my gold armor is ready to post, too. ;) It could definitely use some decorations, but I'm not sure what.
    gold_1.png gold_2.png
  24. REDX36

This gold texture looks like a mix of the odl smooth and current gilded, it would be intresting if we could transcribe it to a block trextre.
  25. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

The iron armor looks even better!
    I still think the helmet needs a fancier shape.
    That gold armor definitely needs some decorations. Perhaps you could have some sort of design carved into it?
    You've also got some annoying dark spots in the gold where you removed the nails.
  26. Shoeboxam

I've decided to hold off on the gold armor. Here is some diamond armor I've been working on!
    diamond_1.png diamond_2.png
  27. Sheynx

Just a question: Why is there a need for that thingy at the buttom of the chestpiece? O-o It just looks weird. I feel that the color of the gold armour is a bit to...mushtard...Maybe a lighter color with a bit of shine? Also, as a pattern...just try some of the pack's blocks...mess with them...For the diamond one...I feel like I'm hit by lots of lights, is a bit too hop hazard.

Oh, well, just my 2 cents...
  28. Shoeboxam

Gold armor is on the long road of a full on from scratch remake. Here is the diamond armor with less shading:
    diamond_1_alt.png diamond_2_alt.png
    Less shading, or do you think I removed too much?

EDIT: Made a few more changes. The helmet really was too large, I moved it to the left. I also added shoulder straps, they were missing before. EDIT2: Iron armor as well:
    diamond_1.png iron_1.png
  29. Shoeboxam

Leather armor! Let me know what you think!
    cloth_1.png cloth_2.png
    SoaringTheSky and AndresRdz like this.
  30. Sheynx

Very much on the realistic side, Shoe o_O. All of them, either by texture or shading. The front part of the armour still has that swimsuit looking piece on bottom of the chest plate.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.