Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Tutorial Adobe Photoshop CSX

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by GoldBattle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

2. Tudoreleuu

Tudoreleuu Well-Known Member

When recoloring something, use color overlay with mode screen or color, whichever suits you better.
  3. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

But with soft light you will get a better effect than with overlay sometimes.
  4. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

How to make wood textures

Tutorial (open)

1. I'll start with a blank 1024x1024 image:
      [​IMG]
    2. Now, color the base whatever color works. The exact colors I used for the buttons are 9c8258 for the normal button, and ac8761 for the highlighted button. Here I use the former:
      [​IMG]
    3. Now, make a new layer called 'Texture', and fill it with black. Reset the foreground/background colors to black and white, and add a fibre effect (Filter -> Render -> Fibers...). Here I set the variance to 16, and the strength to 4.
      [​IMG]
    4. Now you should end up with something like this:
      [​IMG]
      Note: if you want to change the direction of the grain, just rotate the texture layer 90°.
    5. Set the opacity of the texture to somewhere around 3-7 and set the blending mode to 'overlay':
      [​IMG]
    6. Now, I like to apply a motion blur to smooth it out a tiny bit (Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur...). Set the distance to 10 pixels.
      [​IMG]
    And that's it! Now you do other special stuff to it that you need to do, such as some gradients:
    [​IMG]
    GoldBattle likes this.
  5. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

So that's how it's done! Thanks Floppy. If I need to texture backings and whatnot, I'll reference this.
  6. SoaringDragon

SoaringDragon Well-Known Member

How to Recolor to Match Existing Textures
    Say you have a new wood pattern and want to apply it to all the other wood types. First off I am assuming that you, like me, work with an entire texture.png and modify sections of it as you see them. So, you would have the "original" on a bottom layer and have new textures on top
    1. Put the new texture layer (or a copy) on a new layer for each color variation
    2. Move the new texture over top of the texture you want to color match
    3. Making sure the area (and the new layer) is still selected, go to Image > Adjustments > Match Color
    4. In the lower half, you'll find a "Source" drop-down. Select the current file
    5. Under "Layer:" select the layer you want to take the color from.
    6. Click OK
    7. Go to step 2 and repeat for the other textures
    8. ...
    9. PROFIT! :D
    If you had preview checked, you should see that the new pattern layer had immediately changed to the correct color. If it is slightly off in some way, you might need to adjust some of the sliders and make sure the selection checkboxes are checked. I've noticed that this sometimes doesn't work with smaller selections and I'm not sure why.

Brushing on Color
    Another way I colorize a layer is by selecting the color I want with the picker, selecting a brush, setting it to color, hue, or saturation, depending on the type of color. Then I select the area I want to colorize, and draw over it with the brush. Sometimes I play with the opacity if I don't want to completely change the color. However, I've found that this doesn't work nearly as well as the above method for getting the true color.
    GoldBattle and Shoeboxam like this.
  7. DrumMaster4

Soaring, that was really helpful. I was coloring pumpkins but was doing by piece, not area (sides, stem, etc). I forgot what color/saturation/hue I had used, but then I came here.

*gives Lifesaver*
    SoaringDragon likes this.
  8. SoaringDragon

Glad to know it helped :D Btw, you can find out what the stats are for a color either by using the eyedrop/picker or using the Information panel (one of the tabs next to the Navigation window usually) This is also a good way to find the size and coords of a selection without manually counting :)
  9. SoaringDragon

Swirling-Liquid.png Molten-Metal.png Molten-Texture.png
    How To Make A Swirling Liquid Texture
    I started this with a 64x64 area and created it in a way that it's easy to shrink it without loosing many details.
    1. Fill the document with a random color. it doesn't really matter what color it is. I use white on default.
    2. Double-click on the layer (or hit the "fx" button) and apply the following:
      • Inner Shadow
        • Opacity: 40%
        • Angle: 90 degrees.
        • Distance: 0px
        • Choke 0%
        • Size: 21px
        • Contour: Gaussian (Far right on top row)
      • Inner Glow
        • Blend Mode: Multiply
        • Color: #666666
      • Gradient Overlay
        • Gradient
          • Stop 1: Opacity 100%, Location 0%
          • Stop 2: Color: #00AAFF, Location 50%
          • Stop 3: Opacity 100%, Location 100%
          • Stop 4: Color: #002266, Location 100%
        • Style: Radial
        • Angle: 90 degrees
        • Scale 120%
    3. Create New Layer and name it "Pattern" and set the Blend Mode to Overlay
    4. Set Foreground to #808080 (50% Gray) and Background to #000000 (Black)
    5. With "Pattern" layer selected, go to Filter > Render > Clouds
    6. Apply Filter > Difference Clouds a few times until you see a pattern you like play over your "water" background.
    7. Create another layer and name it "Highlights"
    8. With a small round brush, dot the "Highlights" layer randomly with white.
    9. With the "Highlights" layer selected, apply Filter > Blur > Radial Blur with a radius between 10 and 20. You may need to apply this a couple of times to get a nice swirl effect on your texture.
    10. Finally, I noticed that the highlights were a bit too bright on the outside, so I made a new layer mask (button to right of fx button), selected the gradient tool (G), picked an reversed black-to-transparent radial gradient and applied it by drawing a line from the center to one corner.
    Note: for the Molten Liquid variant, I set the Inner Glow to #660000, the Gradient Colors to #FF7F00 (50% stop) and #FFFF00 (100% stop)
    Also, I have attached a Swirling Liquid.psd, but I'm not sure if you guys can see it or not...XD I lost my original one do to stupidity, so I had to quick re-make it by following my own instructions XD

Attached Files:

DrumMaster4, Shoeboxam and GoldBattle like this.
  10. DrumMaster4

Anyone have a tutorial on resizing textures from 16x to 64x?
    Unless it's put over the 64x, and drag to resize. But that seems like it would get very pixellated very fast.
  11. SoaringDragon

Re-sizing Templates from 16x to 64x
    Of the following methods below, Method 1 is good for enlarging an entire template, while Method 2 is good for enlarging a specific texture within the template.
    Method 1: Image Size
    1. Open up the original template
    2. Go to Image > Image Size.. (Or press Alt+Ctrl+I)
    3. Change the Image Interpolation drop-down at the bottom of the dialog to "Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges)"
    4. Check "Constrain Proportions"
    5. Change the Width or Length drop-down to "Percent"
    6. Change the Width or Length value to "400%"
    7. Click "OK"
    Method 2: Free Transform
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > General (Or press Ctrl+K)
    2. Change Image Interpolation to "Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges)"
    3. Click "OK"
    4. Select the layer(s) you want to resize
    5. Select the area you want to resize
    6. Go to Edit > Free Transform (Or press Ctrl+T)
    7. At the top, just under the menu bar, select the link icon (to maintain aspect ratio)
    8. Change W: or L: to 400%
    9. Press Enter twice
  12. DrumMaster4

Wow, it looks like it was always 64x when I do that.

Thanks!
  13. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

14. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

A useful tip that I just discovered, and will now use all the time:

To shade a texture with a gradient that conforms to the shape of the texture, make an inner glow, set the color to black, and set the blend mode to 'normal'.
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  15. DrumMaster4

That would make certain things so much easier. Thanks floppy!
  16. Floppygunk

Floppygunk Cereal Killer

I just discovered an amazingly useful trick:

How to easily check how well a texture will tile:
    Tutorial (open)

1. Make a texture and save it.
      [​IMG]
    2. Select 'File -> Open as Smart Object...' and open the saved texture.
      [​IMG]
    3. Resize the canvas, setting the width and height to 300%.
      [​IMG]
    4. Duplicate the layer (right-click on texture in layers tab -> Duplicate Layer...) to tile it across the entire image.
      [​IMG]
    Whenever you make a change to your texture that you want to preview:
    1. Save the texture.
      [​IMG]
    2. In the tiling image, right click on a layer and select 'Replace Contents...'
      [​IMG]
    3. Choose the saved texture. All the smart layers have updated!
      [​IMG]
    Sheynx likes this.
  17. Sheynx

Sheynx Well-Known Member Retired Staff

I think all those tutorials deserve their own specific thread. Good job people!