Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

[2.8] Minecraft 1.8 & Snapshots Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Sheynx, Dec 29, 2013.

1. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

You can feel free to make an alternate texture of longer side grass if you want! I know there was one around the forums a while back, but I don't know if it's still there. And, as always, your two cents are appreciated :)
    Valsis likes this.
  2. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

@Nefar1on I 100% agree with @DrumMaster4!

Feel free to contribute with your own textures. Even if you think you can't texture, at least show us your vision on it, I will surely appreciate it! :)

About the transitions in the dirt blocks, if you look at it closely, you can see that I used the dirt block as base for the coarse dirt itself and tried to darken it just by a rather dim percentage. The main work was made in the pebbles cause, dear lord, those were tricky to work with. but aside of that, there's no major difference between the base of the dirt block from the coarse dirt so, with this said, I don't think a better transitions needs to be made.

About the grass, that is a texture that we have since Soar49 was still making the original Soartex, we are just continuing his work and, by default, we keep his textures as main textures in our packs regardless if we have better textures or not (his work is remarkable, let's face it :p). Another thing, the grass block kind of became one of our many identities in recognizing our pack, such as the glowstone, pumpkins, bookshelf etc. so, changing it from the main pack would make it harder on us, on everyone, to recognize the pack if someone tries to steal our work.

Soon*, I believe we will have our customizer ready for everyone to enjoy it and make their own packs with all the approved textures to be shown in there. I'm more than certain you will find pretty cool things in there. Also, remember that we have a search engine where you can search for textures that were submitted previously in our forum.

Best regards,
    Val*

* - I don't know when, I just like to think that way
  3. Devin

Devin Well-Known Member

Version name: daylight_detector_inverted_top
    Version: 1.0
    Texture: [​IMG]
    Screenshot:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Not new here, just new account. :)
    artdude543 likes this.
  4. Valsis

New blocks were released in the new snapshot, such as variables of Red Sandstone.
    Red Sandstones (open)

red_sandstone_normal.png - red sandstone normal
    red_sandstone_top.png - red sandstone top
    red_sandstone_bottom.png - red sandstone bottom
    red_sandstone_smooth.png - red sandstone smooth
    red_sandstone_carved.png - red sandstone carved
    alts (open)

red_sandstone_smooth_v2.png - red sandstone smooth version 2
    red_sandstone_smooth_v3.png - red sandstone smooth version 3
    red_sandstone_carved_v2.png - red sandstone carved version 2
    red_sandstone_carved_v3.png - red sandstone carved version 3
    red_sandstone_carved_v4.png - red sandstone carved version 4
    Snapshot: Not available
    Comment: I cannot upload screenshots at the moment since I can't run the game in my machine. I used the red sand, both I and @ezanrki made, to keep the faithful color from said texture and also the vanilla color in these textures.
    I hope you all like them :)

EDIT:
    Added two more alts!
    CRASH1997, Matrix and DrumMaster4 like this.
  5. Nefar1on

Nefar1on Well-Known Member

My red sandstone's:
    Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG]
    Comment: I did not make new textures for the sandstone's I admit its not original but I just recolored the normal Sandstone.

Valsis' red sandstone's:
    Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Valsis likes this.
  6. Valsis

@Nefar1on One thing that I noticed was that your stones have the darkest areas going towards the orange color with a yellow undertone.

Maybe some people might like it however, for my own taste, I don't :p I tried to balance everything to stay within the same color range but still, I like your approach :)

Well done!
    DrumMaster4 and Nefar1on like this.
  7. DrumMaster4

@Nefar1on - I like your attempt (and I'm sure quite a few people will be using it), but to me your regular sandstone looks like the radioactive mac&cheese powder. Otherwise I basically mirror what Val said, and again, congratulate the effort: it's great to a variety of textures!
    Valsis likes this.
  8. Nefar1on

Nefar1on Well-Known Member

New Textures in 14w32d!

door_acacia_lower.png
    door_acacia_upper.png
    door_birch_lower.png
    door_birch_upper.png
    door_spruce_lower.png
    door_spruce_upper.png
    door_dark_oak_lower.png
    door_dark_oak_upper.png
    door_jungle_lower.png
    door_jungle_upper.png
    door_jungle_inner.png
  9. Valsis

@Nefar1on Already working on those ;)

I will be updating this exact post once I'm done with the door textures.

EDIT:______________________________________________

New doors!
    All the doors blocks! (open)

door_spruce_upper.png - door spruce upper
    door_spruce_lower.png - door spruce lower
    door_birch_upper.png - door birch upper
    door_birch_lower.png - door birch lower
    door_jungle_upper.png - door jungle upper
    door_jungle_inner.png - door jungle inner
    door_jungle_lower.png - door jungle lower
    door_acacia_upper.png - door acacia upper
    door_acacia_lower.png - door acacia lower
    door_dark_oak_upper.png - door dark oak upper
    door_dark_oak_lower.png - door dark oak lower
    alts (open)

door_birch_upper.png - door birch upper
    door_birch_lower.png - door birch lower
    Screenshot: http://puu.sh/aKz9j/072baa5ce1.png
    I hope you all like them and all these go into
    assets/ minecraft/ textures/ blocks

The corresponding items can be found here
  10. Devin

Devin Well-Known Member

After @Valsis posted her textures for the red sandstone, I was inspired to make alts for sandstone.
    Alts (open)
    [​IMG] - carved sandstone alt 1
    [​IMG] - carved sandstone alt 2
    Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG]
  11. malvin37

malvin37 Well-Known Member

Hi Valsis, I love the shape of your doors, but I think the spruce and jungle ones need to have a shadow effect like the original door, they seem a little plane in-game :)
  12. Valsis

@malvin37 Hey there!
    If you look closely to the doors you mentioned, you can see that they do have light/shadow effects in a dim and subtle way, which is how the pack is; Faithful to the vanilla textures but with our own twist in a polished way ;)

I also checked the vanilla doors and I don't see a noticeable light/shadow effect in any of the doors like you mentioned actually. They are pretty much plain textures with a few pixels here and there that give the ilusion of light/shadow and, in mine, you not only have texture but light/shadow effect. If more people agree with you, I'll see what I can do to fix them but, right now I believe they are pretty close to vanilla in our own Fanver way :p

@Devin Hey!!
    I like your approach however there's a few things that need to be pointed out.

If you look closely to the stones, you can see that there's a predominant thing in the blocks; the dark outlines. Those need to be toned down a bit in order to blend with the whole block. One thing that some blocks need to have is an incredible balance between light/shadow in order to not have parts standing out more than others so we don't lose focus from the blocks.

Right now my attention is being dragged by the dark outlines making me not even pay attention to anything else. There has to be balance in the block. Also the carved glyphs need to be a tini tiny less saturated because they are going towards the yellow/orange undertone. Reduce the saturation in them just slightly and t will be perfect! OH! Don't forget to work on those outlines!

Keep doing the good job! ;)

And now, my texture for the daylight detector inverted!
    daylight_detector_inverted_top (open)

daylight_detector_inverted_top.png
    animation: http://i.imgur.com/bH0tm8k.gif
    screenshot: woops! Will post it once I can!
    Ray Yates likes this.
  13. malvin37

Hum I didn't expressed myself correctly, sorry for that ;)
    By "original door" I was talking about the original door of Soartex :)

Also, I like your inverted daylight sensor!
    Valsis likes this.
  14. Valsis

@malvin37 I understand your point however, we should keep ourselves original and make every single block unique don't you think? ;)

Thank you for the feedback on the inverted daylight sensor!! :D
  15. sreher

sreher New Member

i cant seem to get the red sandstone textured properly, i got the bottom of the normal sandstone bottom textured, the top isnt working on any of them, the bottom isnt working with either of the chiseled sandstone and the smooth.
  16. sreher

sreher New Member

has anyone made an armor stand texture?
  17. malvin37

18. sreher

sreher New Member

19. Valsis

@sreher When you notice that something doesn't work right, please double check the spelling of the blocks just in case and then report it back to the community ;)

The edited post for the red sandstones and their alts you can find it here and the texture and their alts for the armorstand can be found here.

Also, before asking if someone textured X,Y,Z texture try to search the forum first :D

Best regards,
    Val
  20. Valsis

Small tweaks on some of the doors. It was just tweaking shadowed parts and highlights (I think this was mentioned above but I've been tired so, I apologize).
    These go into assets/minecraft/textures/blocks

Tweaked Doors (open)

door_spruce_upper.png - door spruce upper
    door_spruce_lower.png - door spruce lower
    door_jungle_upper.png - door jungle upper
    door_jungle_lower.png - door jungle lower
    alts (open)

door_acacia_upper2.png - door acacia upper version 2
    door_acacia_lower2.png - door acacia lower version 2
    The corresponding tweaked items can be found here.
    Ray Yates likes this.
  21. malvin37

Wow I think that's much better!
    Ray Yates and Valsis like this.
  22. Devin

Devin Well-Known Member

I don't know why this took so long post. Procrastination maybe. Anyways, here are my tweaked version of my alt sandstone carved texture.
    Alt (open)
    [​IMG] - carved sandstone alt version 2
    Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG]
    New texture is on the left.
    malvin37, Nefar1on and Valsis like this.
  23. Valsis

Another attempt in making a different Soul Sand. quite honestly this one is better than the current one :p
    soul_sand.png (open)

Texture:
    soul_sand.png
    Screenshot: http://puu.sh/b3GWG/3109e17acf.png & http://puu.sh/b3GZA/98685ce3f5.png
    Comment: Okay so, I don't know about you guys but I can see here a granny, a bird, a bunny, half a face and a skull. I promise I'm not hallucinating and here are a few examples:
    all the souls!! (open)
    Enjoy all the souls!
    Devin likes this.
  24. Valsis

And now a vanilla inspired Soul Sand using the 16x16 vanilla texture as placeholder that comes with the game.
    Vanilla inspired soul_sand.png (open)

texture:
    soul_sand.png
    screenshot: http://puu.sh/b3SpX/f75e9a8e71.png
    Comment: Hell... I already have this one in my pack, I don't care haha! Hell... see what I did there? :p
    Nefar1on, Devin and malvin37 like this.
  25. malvin37

I can't see the faces in your soulsand, but I've found another rabbit:
    Soul Bunnies (open)
    soul_sand.png

Also, as the andesite can be dark (and almost black) I made a texture for both rough and smooth andesite based on the smooth stone texture:
    stone_andesite (open)
    stone_andesite.png
    Stone_andesite_smooth (open)
    stone_andesite_smooth.png
    Screenshot (open)
    2014-08-23_04.03.54.png
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  26. DrumMaster4

@malvin37 - I like your andesite texture, but the smooth texture, when tiled, is too defined. Most of the blocks in Soartex are (if I remember right), burned on the left and bottom tile lines, and dodged on the top and right tile lines. It makes it look a bit more natural. Try that on the smooth, and I'm sure it'll look great!
    Again, I do like the regular andesite texture you have now.

@Valsis - Souls! Lots of souls! Personally, I like the first one you put up, though I have no problem with either of them.
  27. malvin37

So here is what I came with:
    Stone_andesite_smooth V2 (open)

Unfortunately I don't know how it looks in-game, I can't start Minecraft :confused:
    If someone could post a screenshot, that would be great! :rolleyes:
  28. Valsis

@malvin37
    The shading is still placed in the wrong area of the block. You're using the vanilla texture shading preset.

In Fanver, all blocks have their highlights on both top and right edges and their shadows on both left and bottom edges.

NOTE:
    This is for everyone who checks my posts. When I request for someone to test my textures, because I cannot run Minecraft on my machine, it's because my machine overheats to a temperature of 80ÂșC and shuts down. The screenshots I've been posting have been taken by people I requested to test them for me. I would like to request for people to not use my excuse to not comply with the submission format presented in the main post 'cause even I try my best to comply with it even knowing I can't run Minecraft.

Best regards,
    Val*
  29. malvin37

Okay, I'm sorry I don't know what's my problem with the lights, but I think I got it now (I hope)
    I also reduced the shadows
    Stone_andesite_smooth V3 (open)

Ps: In french burned textures are the brighter, I think that's why I inverted it
    Ray Yates, DrumMaster4 and Valsis like this.
  30. DrumMaster4

My apologies, @malvin37, I didn't realize there was a language disconnect. My apologies :)

Also, are you sure you can't start Minecraft? Just allocate more RAM and you should be able to start the game...
    Valsis likes this.