Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

[2.8] Minecraft 1.8 & Snapshots Blocks

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Sheynx, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Matrix

Matrix Well-Known Member

I can only barely see little difference on both dry and wet sponges, Try making wet sponge more wet / darker.. - Otherwise, it looks nice!

-M
  2. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

@Matrix in game you can see it well enough. Like I keep saying, screenshots do not give justice to textures that we see in game.
    I also didn't like to have the middle of the sponge darker so I went for a lighter approach to create less tiling issue while next to another wet sponge.
    If you use it in game, you'll be able to notice the difference ;) but thank you very much for your input!
    Matrix likes this.
  3. Enderela

Enderela Well-Known Member

I've browsed all the 1.8 related threads, but I could not find a prismarine texture. Is there one and am I missing it?
  4. Valsis

Here and here.

They were posted on the 19th and 20th of April. I hope yo like them ;)
  5. Enderela

Enderela Well-Known Member

They look amazing! Thanks :D
    Valsis likes this.
  6. Valsis

Minor tweak on the prismarine_bricks.
    prismarine_bricks.png (open)

texture:
    prismarine_bricks.png
    screenshot: how they tile now
    changelog: made the diagonal carvings less sharp and now they flow better than the previous one I posted, making the tiling more cohesive and flowy.
  7. Nefar1on

Nefar1on Well-Known Member

Can we get a list of all the textures that haven't been decided upon yet plz.

And I have decided to try and make an Iron Trapdoor.

Vanilla texture name: iron_trapdoor.png
    Version: V1
    Texture (open)
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  8. Valsis

Hello there and welcome to out forum!

About the textures that haven't been decided, right now there isn't a list because I've been the only one reviewing textures and we need the input of @DrumMaster4 as well to decide what goes in the pack and what stays as alt. Right now, with just one person reviewing them, there can't be a final decision, so, we have to wait a bit :) In the meantime you can go through the Blocks, Items and Other Textures threads, check the textures that have been posted so far and see their reviews made by both DrumMaster4, Sheynx and myself. This will give you an idea of what, so far, is approved.

About the trapdoor, I see yours as an alt the same way I see the one I made as alt however, right now, the approved one was made by @redflex1235 .

Once we have the costumizer fully coded and ready for testing, we will make a careful pick on what goes there an what doesn't, however, all textures will remain in the forum available for everyone to search for them. I hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Val*
  9. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

My Mega Post of Texture Reviews! (Okay, there are only a few)

@Valsis
    Sponge(s)
    They're better. I'll be honest, I do agree with @Matrix in that I can't really see a difference unless I look closely. That being said, I'd have to test them in-game to see if the difference really is noticeable.
    Prismarine Bricks
    The tiling is definitely more flow-y, which I like. Great improvement.

@Nefar1on
    Iron Trapdoor
    Unfortunately, yours looks a lot like one that has already been made as an alternate. Val already mentioned the primary one, so I won't reiterate that.
    Matrix and Valsis like this.
  10. Valsis

New texture for the log acacia and ctm!
    log_acacia.png (open)

log_acacia.png no ctm (open)

Texture:
    log_acacia.png
    Screenshot with ctm off: http://puu.sh/abLru/1710bd4f68.png
    Comment: Put this texture in assets/minecraft/ textures/ blocks
    log_acacia.png fancy ctm (open)

Textures: Both textures and .properties file are inside the zip file
    Screenshot with ctm on fancy: http://puu.sh/abLPi/8a1f02cb37.png
    Important: The zip file is be unzipped and the content is to be put in assets/ minecraft/ mcpatcher/ ctm/ blocks/
    Comment: After a bit of research I saw that the bark of a real Acacia Tree tends to peal off in a gray-ish color exposing the red-ish color from the inside of the log itself. That's what I basically tried to do in a soft and not in an exaggerated way. I had a lot of help from Shoe in this process and I wouldn't have done it without him.

Attached Files:

Ray Yates, redflex1235 and Matrix like this.
  11. Nefar1on

To be quite honest, I don't see any difference between the 2 screenshots...
  12. Valsis

@Nefar1on oh trust me, there is, the bark has differences in some areas. Look closely. ;)
    Matrix likes this.
  13. Matrix

Matrix Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that you didn't see patterns on logs? o_O Open both image with different tabs.. change between tabs to see difference.. ;p

Looking nice with CTM ;)
    Valsis likes this.
  14. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Active Member

I had the same problem like Matrix or Shoe with the wet sponge, so I just made a new version of it based on the normal sponge texture by Valsis.
    sponge_wet.png (open)
    texture
    sponge_wet.png
    screenshot
    javaw 2014-07-17 14-25-10-38.png

btw... (open)
    Are some of you confronted with the same heavy glitch in the newest snapshot as I am? Blocks are blinking heavy in their texture and white, when you put a block in the hand... o_O
    javaw 2014-07-17 14-24-08-91.png
    Ooouh my english these days, I hope someone can understand this..
  15. artdude543

artdude543 Lead Administrator / Mad Modder Staff Member

@DeusExMachina I have the same bug as you, it has been reported to the bug tracker for Mojang but no one has a clue what is causing it, so it may be fixed in the next snapshot or the main release. But a temporary fix for now is turning Mipmapping off in the Video Options.
    Valsis and DeusExMachina like this.
  16. DeusExMachina

My Version of Coarse Dirt. In my opinion, the ones posted before where too fancy, trying to realize a block made of dirt and gravel. I made some screenshots showing the direct difference between default and the textures :)
    coarse_dirt.png (open)
    texture
    coarse_dirt.png
    screenshots
    javaw 2014-07-17 16-18-16-34.png javaw 2014-07-17 16-18-06-90.png
    javaw 2014-07-17 16-17-48-03.png javaw 2014-07-17 16-17-34-11.png
  17. Matrix

Matrix Well-Known Member

I don't see any difference in coarse_dirt, it looks like little darker dirt block version to me..

-snipsnip- Didn't see properly, I realized that there's difference.. just in brightness/darkness - Could be useful for alternates for whoever doesn't want gravels in dirt block.

-M
  18. Valsis

@DeusExMachina I understand where you're coming from with the sponge however, now, if you look at your version you can basically see tiling issues because of the shading area. This is why my version only concentrated a faded dark pinch in the middle of the block, so it doesn't show up as to noticeable ;)

About your coarse dirt, it's a new block and we should have a new block and not just a small tweak in color. Also, considering the coarse dirt recipe is dirt + gravel, in the vanilla texture, you can see a few gray spots where it indicated traces of little stones stuck in it. Creativity & Imagination ! Use them! :p

About the bug you posted, please try to keep each subject in it's own thread. It makes it easier to keep the forum organized. Next time post it under Help & Support or Bug Reports, whichever apply for your case. :)
  19. Ray Yates

Ray Yates Well-Known Member

Thank you for doing this Valsis. I hope it gets selected for the pack.

I've always found it annoying that all the logs look like some re-colored version of oak. No offense intended for the creator, just my opinion. Some here expressed the opinion that, my attempts at a spruce log were too realistic; (some thought it looked like cracked mud, which of course, is what most conifer bark looks like).

While the Oak and Birch logs look great, and the current color for the spruce logs is faithful to Minecraft, perhaps you could Google images for "black spruce bark" and perform your magic on that log as well.
  20. Valsis

@Ray Yates
    I was the one at first who made the recolor of the log_jungle.png into the log_acacia.png. It was discussed with the staff that I made a mistake with the texture by having the veins disposed horizontally because I thought I had seen it that way but still, we needed something asap for the pack. But now, we have this one that is already put in a pack to be uploaded soon as an update for the current one we have, with some fixes that were noticed along the way ( we always have to fix stuff because we're never fully happy *raises fist* lol)

About your spruce log being referred as cracked mud, that was my comment because it did look like it, and let me explain why. Why the bark was rather smooth surface-wise. Yes it had the indented parts of the bark darker but, it was lacking texture, as in, graininess because there's no tree bark that is evenly smooth like if it was mud drying out in the sun. If you search by these elements I pointed out, the grainy texture, I'm sure you get what I mean :)

ThatsOk uploaded your bark with a rather realistic tweak. This one basically shows what I'm trying to say however in a rather exaggerated way. Each cracked area has texture, embossing effect. We need this but not as emphasized as the one in the screenshot, We need the texture in a smooth way ;)
  21. DeusExMachina

I don't see your point with the tiling issue... The outline of the texture is totally free of darkness, so where the texture touches the next one it is the exact same texture as the one of your normal sponge... I hope you understand me, but in fact there can't be a tiling issue, if I'm wrong, show me what you mean please o_O

Ok the coarse dirt... I didn't like the ones posted before... they looked so "corny". And I don't see a heavy difference between dirt and coarse dirt, cause the normal dirt has some of this grey pixels like coarse dirt, too. I think it is just a bit more rough and more dirty... The mix of dirt and gravel are more homogenous and not heterogenous, that was my problem with the textures. Maybe I try to make another pattern for the coarse dirt, I'll see
    JasonZ617 likes this.
  22. Valsis

@DeusExMachina what I meant with tiling issues was, basically people being able to notice when there's a few wet sponges together, you can see where the center (wet) is in every block and for some reason that bugs me a lot, reason why in my version I made the wet center less noticeable so we don't have that dramatic look of wet sponge from one block to another.

Does this make sense? :p

About the coarse dirt, try to be original, that's all I can say ;)
    DeusExMachina likes this.
  23. Valsis

A request by @SpAcE_mOnKeY126 . Anyone is free to test it and put screenshots here!

Attached Files:

SpAcE_mOnKeY126 likes this.
  24. SpAcE_mOnKeY126

SpAcE_mOnKeY126 Well-Known Member

In-game:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Valsis likes this.
  25. Valsis

@SpAcE_mOnKeY126 here is the fix. I hope now it doesn't have any of those weird shading parts.

Attached Files:

SpAcE_mOnKeY126 likes this.
  26. SpAcE_mOnKeY126

SpAcE_mOnKeY126 Well-Known Member

It looks perfect. Thanks Val.
    Valsis likes this.
  27. artdude543

artdude543 Lead Administrator / Mad Modder Staff Member

I thought this texture would be a neat idea, so with some help with @Valsis we have created an animated version of the farmland_wet.png texture.

Texture (open)

farmland_wet.png

Some tweaks could be made but I created this on photoshop which is new to me as I use Gimp more often but you have to learn news things sometimes :) But ya I hope people like this tweaked edition.

Attached Files:

DeusExMachina and Valsis like this.
  28. Nefar1on

after adding this into my Snapshot Pack the only issue I have with this texture is that it needs a slightly better transition between the Coarse Dirt and normal Dirt.
    Also, after putting all the Dirt variants next to each other I have been thinking we need to get a new grass texture, one that goes slightly further down the side, like the Podzol.
    Screenshot (open)
    [​IMG]
  29. DeusExMachina

No I think we do not need new grass, grass is really THE block of minecraft since it's the logo of the launcher and everything... With the podzol the texturer played around a bit and made it longer than the default and nobody said it looked wrong so it gone through and I am happy with it, too, I actually think it's one of the coolest block we have in the pack :)
  30. Nefar1on

Don't get me wrong, I like both the textures too, but I just thought I'd put in my 2 cents for that.