Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Soartex Forums! Consider signing up to get involved!

Archived [2.7] Minecraft 1.7 & Snapshots

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Shoeboxam, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

[​IMG]

If you have anything you've made for Soartex, feel free to post it here to be added in the next update. For every update, we'll be switching to a new thread and locking the old one.

Feel free to post:
    -your original textures
    -edits to anything in the pack, mod support or customizer

With this new format:
    -we can work together!
    -content is organized by version
    -posting is simplified
    -textures for the deep cuts and mobs don't get lost among the super old posts

Here's a wonderful guide on posting by Goldbattle:
    http://soartex.net/community/threads/guide-to-posting.802/

When posting feedback, stay constructive and avoid being overly negative.
    When posting textures, add a screenshot, give a little detail on how you made it and maybe even include a .xcf or .psd (if you have one) so other people can see how you made your work.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. DrumMaster4

DrumMaster4 Texture Reviewer / Moderator Staff Member

Me thinks I have a fish shape down for the raw normal fish (called "cod" in the textures). I wasn't sure what to do in terms of fish detailing, so I'm posting it here in case anyone has an idea and wants to fool around with it.

It comes in three colors:
    * Default Blue
    * Gray-ish Blue
    * Gray (like cod in real life)

The textures, in color order
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oops, I forgot to attach the actual files for easier downloading...attached them below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Valsis, GoldBattle and Shoeboxam like this.
  3. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

So that's why the Blocks thread was locked...

I created some base textures for bushes like roses... so please give some feedback. Yes it is 64x128, the upper half is transparent.
    1. type1Bush.png
    2. type2Bush.png
    3. type3Bush.png
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 8, 2013 ---
    In case anyone wants to browse the 1.7 assets folder, here it is. I unzipped the .jar for you (yes it is possible on a Mac; no need to view the .jar with 7zip). Just unzip it and you can find the 1.7 content. The .class files are removed, obviously.

Attached Files:

4. RubikMan

RubikMan Well-Known Member

Very nice the shape of the fish! Only needs to texture it and it's done

[Shoe] This could be said via a like. Less spam!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  5. redflex1235

redflex1235 Well-Known Member

Here is my most recent lilac from the Blocks Thread
    doublePlant_syringa_top.png
    doublePlant_syringa_bottom.png Hope you like it!
  6. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

Oh... okay.

I use GIMP, anyway. In order to get Layers you need to open the Layers tab under Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Layers.

Then in the tab, click the page-like icon to create a new layer. Always name your layers by double clicking the new layer's name. Use every individual layer to create your texture, eg. stem, petal, petal color overlay, leaf, etc.
  7. redflex1235

Yeah,yeah i know what layers are but I rarely use them
    I use GIMP myself
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2013 ---
    The ORCHID:
    flower_blue_orchid.png
    I know it doesn't really look like an orchid. I tried something and wondered if you guys would like it
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2013 ---
    I don't know why it merges with my last post...
    ezanrki likes this.
  8. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Well-Known Member

I like it. If your not happy with it some other ideas maybe a blue Iris and snowdrops for the houstonia. I would also Love to see some Lillies. Orchids would be awesome.
  9. Mocha4u

True but here was a few of my attempts.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 8, 2013 ---
    I am done fiddling for today but not completely happy with the sunflower I made. I like the "houstonia" though. If anyone wants to fiddle/fix the sunflower until an official one comes I got it here too.
    redflex1235 and ezanrki like this.
  10. DrumMaster4

Alright, so all these textures are good so far.

Redflex - I really love the orchid. I know it doesn't look like an orchid, but it should go in the pack with a few edits. Do you, per chance, have any screenshots of the texture itself in-game?

Mocha - I love the textures and colors that you posted. I think my only complaint is that they seem a little pixellated. Not entirely sure why, but it looks like it was made as a 48x or 32x and scaled up. I doubt you did that, but you may want to look into that or see what you can do. Again, though, great start! The 1.7 textures are really shaping up.
    Valsis and Mocha4u like this.
  11. Mocha4u

I agree with with you both on the sunflower. the stem definitely needs work. My eyes are about to bug out of my head and my wrists say it's time to stop playing with the paintshop. The dandelion is a nice change, but yes I still like the original. It was just an idea to toy with.
  12. Valsis

Valsis Lead Fanver Developer Staff Member

Just a little side note, we onle call textures "done" if they get approved.
    As I said in the post about flowers, the tulips made by redflex look like a green stick with a flower on top and the leaves are way to small. The flower needs movement and bigger leaves. As for the lilac, the shape is not the best, the petals look like blobs instead of separated petals. They need to be refined ;)
    As for the grass, like DrumMaster said, stretched textures are not the best way to "create" new textures. The extreme long grass needs to be done from scratch.
    About the podzol, as I said three times before, it's a new texture and needs to be done from scratch and not use the current grass and recolor it.
    About the orchid, like it was said, it doesn't look like an orchid and ,to me, if we're going to have a specific flower in the pack it should look like it and not something else :p
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 8, 2013 ---
    Quite honestly once I saw your texture it reminded me of splatters or spray can and not something bush/flower related.
    The splatter/spray can effect that I see is actually pretty realistic, at least to me.

Try to look around the natural blocks we have to have a better feel of how Soartex Fanver should look like in your textures!

Remember... There's always ways to improve ;)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2013 ---
    Just to help your knowledge a bit more here ;)

When randomguy mentioned .xcf and .psd, he was talking about file formats. File formats is the format you choose to save your files on GIMP, Photoshop or any other program.

He most likely asked for those two formats because he would like to play around with your texture and help you improve it. :)
    randomguy404 and DrumMaster4 like this.
  13. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

@Valsis : Is this somewhat better?
    type4Bush.png
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 9, 2013 ---
    ^ That was type4.

> I redid it, and came up with type 5.
    type5Bush.png

Attached Files:

14. GoldBattle

GoldBattle Administrator Staff Member

@randomguy404 So it looks like you have an interesting base texture. Now it is time to take it to the next step. To make your bush fit with the rest of the pack you need to look at the other bushes/leaves and use them as models for pointing yourself in the right direction.

For example, when creating any type of bush or leaves, I alway go back and look at the oak leaves
    leaves_oak.png leaves_oak_opaque.png
    As you can see there is a huge amount of detail in the texture, it is built out of smaller parts and it looks like leaves. The trick here is to create something like this and then use your base textures that you have made. Right now they all look very realistic and highly abstract compared to the original work in the pack by soar49. In the end, I would use them as a overlay on top of your leaves that you create, to add a cool dynamic to them.

The next step, I would try messing around with creating your own bush, you can use some of the textures in the pack already, but it is better of if you create things from scratch. It is harder to create things from scratch in the beginning, so I would recommend using a texture that is already made as a base, and add to it/build on top of it till it is your own texture. Slowly overtime you will learn techniques to create scratch textures and be just as cool as @Shoeboxam. You can take a look at these nice textures attached that already have the small pieces separated out for you, that you can then use to create a bush.

Keep up the good work, I am interested to see what you now come up with.

Attached Files:

Valsis and randomguy404 like this.
  15. GoldBattle

Felt the need to make something. I edited @DrumMaster4 fish base, added some shading. I couldn't get scales to look good on such a small area, so just went with some shadows and the such. Feel free to comment/edit to your liking, I wouldn't use it, but maybe if someone is able to do scales, or make it look cooler they could use it. I also changed the direction it was facing so you could see the face when you hold it in your hand.
    Screenshot:
    2013-09-09_09.22.56.png

Attached Files:

16. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

Here's some random bush I created... this time with a *cough*failed*cough* attempt at the roses.
    type1roseBush.png

That is a ridiculous rose IMO.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2013 ---
    The shape. That's why it looks so awful.

For type 2 I removed the shape, and also added in the leaves (Thanks GoldBattle!).
    type2roseBush.png
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 9, 2013 ---
    I attempted to give it some scales...

Type 1:
    type1fishRaw.png
    Type 2:
    type2fishRaw.png

Attached Files:

17. GoldBattle

Try messing around with this, I made it all from your textures and then textures from the pack. Right now things are looking like it is all thrown together, start with oak leaves as a base and go off of that. Remember that when you are making textures in minecraft you are doing it by the pixel, so break out the pencil with the size of 1 and work your way through things. The quick texture I made has many problems, shading, tiling, general/repetitive items in it, roses don't look attached, etc.

Take a look around the internet for help too.
    http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Art-Tutorial-Textures-203459613
    http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Art-Tutorial-Colors-184802567

Attached Files:

TarquinsBrutus likes this.
  18. redflex1235

Kinda derpy, no offense.
    I like the shape but the head & tail could be made a little better.
  19. Valsis

I love the shape of DrumMaster's fish and when you added the mouth to it it kinda made me giggle a bit.
    Why? It reminded me of a Sperm Wale. Click the link and you'll see what I mean. :p

Sometimes It's better not to give a mouth to fishes and keep the shape as it is. Maybe it would be better just to mess with the shading and texture and we might have our fish!!! :D

About your shading by the way, It's slightly gray-ish blue at the moment.
    Here's the vanilla fish for comparison color-wise:
    Vanilla Fish (open)

[​IMG]
    I hope it helps defining our fish in terms of color, how and where to shade and give scales!
    GoldBattle and DrumMaster4 like this.
  20. Valsis

Mojang.png is also known as the splash screen after the player clicks the "play" button in the launcher.

I decided to make a splash screen that matches the banner I did with the amazing Quartz blocks that Shisensama made.

Here is the result:
    Splash Screen (open)

[​IMG]
    Here's the result in game:
    Splash Screen in action! (open)

[​IMG]

I hope you guys enjoy it!
    [Edit]: Moved to texture thread.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    GoldBattle and artdude543 like this.
  21. Spruu

Spruu Well-Known Member

Looks good Valsis, nice work. Little girly for my taste though. :p
    Valsis likes this.
  22. redflex1235

Tulips with better shape!
    flower_tulip_red.png flower_tulip_white.png flower_tulip_pink.png flower_tulip_orange.png
    2013-09-10_17.56.26.png

Tell me what you think!

Edit: Just a little modification on the lilac (somewhere it was too large, somewhere to short...)
    doublePlant_syringa_bottom.png

Edit 2: Another modification...... LEAVES

Tell me what you think!
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  23. Valsis

If I knew how to texture I would have done it when Defscape's textures were removed from the pack ;)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2013 ---
    I know, I actually have to make the colors match the same colors I have in the banner because the splash screen is a bit lilac in a pastel way, or a baby lilac. Thank you for telling me though! :)
  24. Valsis

@redflex1235

Okay! Time for a quick Art Lesson... trust me, you will like it! :) (I did back in mid-school/high-school/ college)
    Art Lesson (open)

Let's take a close look at that screenshot. If you look carefully to the screenshot you provided you can see that it's missing shadow and lightness to make the flower even better.

If you have the chance make this exercise in real life. I'm not making a fool of yourself or anything but it's a really simple technic for beginners to learn about shadow and light in either objects or nature. I did it in mid-school/high-school/college and I loved it. Why? Because it gave me the ability to be in touch with nature and see how it behaves with light and shadow!
    Pick a flower in real life and stay in the sun with it... you'll see that specific areas will have shadow and some other areas will have lighten areas. Try to actually draw the plant/flower and then apply the shadow/light areas where you see them.

This will be a tremendous help for you understanding how light and shadow coexist and how it behaves in plants.

After this apply this little art lesson in your textures and you'll see that you will make a huge difference on the way you texture ;)

About the shape of the tulips, the leaves are better due to being bigger but, the stem is still to straight, it needs to have a bit of movement so it gets more flow-y.

About the lilac, the petals area are still too blob-ish shape related. Go to a flower shop near you, if you have the chance, and try to examine the plant if they have it. When you're in contact with the plants in real life you have a total diferent perception of how they are. ;)

I hope all this helps you improve!
    ezanrki, DrumMaster4 and GoldBattle like this.
  25. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Administrator/ Invictus Staff Member

I have a few things I've made here and there. They both still need some work, but I might as well share what I've got so far.
    doublePlant_grass_bottom.png doublePlant_grass_top.png flower_tulip_white.png
    http://i.imgur.com/SaVugGx.png

I'm excited for this sunflower. I agree with you, it needs a little fiddling, but I'm definitely excited about it. ;)

Awesome! But Valsis was right, it needs more prominent shading.
    Here's an example with the top tweaked only. I added quite a bit of shading, tweaked the stem color away from that bright green. The way I added shading was:
    1. duplicate layer
    2. set top layer to value blend mode... This adjusts the brightness of the pixels below it without affecting hue or saturation.
    3. shade the value layer using dodge/burn tool

To tweak the color, I used the Colors>Curves... tool. Inside this tool you can tweak each color channel individually, or just affect the values. In my color tweak, I raised the curve on the red channel a little.

I love that you added leaves, but keep on going. More leaves and branches will definitely fill the plant out. Branches can go behind other branches and don't necessarily have to have flowers on them.

~~~~~~
    One last thing, Valsis and I bugged each other over the podzol, so I made a version of the side split over a few layers. This .xcf file demonstrates how to use various blend modes, layer masks and layer groups.

Attached Files:

TarquinsBrutus and GoldBattle like this.
  26. Valsis

Tweak on the quartz inspired Mojang.png splash and a new one inspired on sandstone.
    Mojang.png/Splash Screen (open)

27. Mocha4u

Well it's A little better. Screenshot supplied. Side view poses issues.
    ezanrki likes this.
  28. DrumMaster4

I really like it. Really really like it.

However, the front of the sunflower looks a little cartoony with what seems to be big brush strokes. I know that's not what it is, but that's how it looks. I'm not sure what to say in terms of how to change that, but it's really a great texture.
    Sheynx likes this.
  29. Mocha4u

Same with my Paeonia, and Orchid. Looks a little cartoonish. The double fern not too bad but that was simple copy pasting.
    TarquinsBrutus likes this.
  30. redflex1235

I have a few new textures!

1. The peony ( for this i used @Mocha4u idea ;))
    doublePlant_paeonia_top.png
    doublePlant_paeonia_bottom.png
    2. The lilac ( thanks to @Shoeboxam & @Valsis for their great comments & suggestions)It has more shading, i hope...
    3. The tulips ( @Valsis told me to make the stem more flow-y and i did :D)
    flower_tulip_orange.png flower_tulip_red.png flower_tulip_pink.png flower_tulip_white.png

Edit: Screenshot
    2013-09-11_16.15.57.png
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Matthew and AngelSun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.